PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion: PPB Spring Roll or Fond of Flora

jane22
02-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi ladies,
So glad I found this site! I'm new here and need your opinion on my PPB dilemma. Last month my hubby and girls splurged and got me a PPB backpack in the Spring Roll pattern for my anniversary present. It's absolutely gorgeous. My only concern of course is that the fabric is too delicate and it would be ruined within a month's use. I was thinking of exchanging it for the Fond of Flora (or possibly Velveteen) since it's also very pretty plus the material seems a little more sturdier and I'm guessing dirt doesn't show as much dirt? My husband thinks the Fond of Flora looks very old style and not so much on the pretty side which made me think twice about exchanging it. What do you all think?

thanks so much in advance!

audball
02-13-2006, 06:56 PM
I love the Fond of Flora! I don't own it (LOL!), but I like it a lot. I have heard others here say that it looks like granny's reupholstered couch, but I think the red is so pretty - and it's understated with that little flower...

I have a Dynamite Roll, and while I love the blue, I am nervous about taking it out a lot. I seem to save it for those occasions where I need to carry gear for both kids, it's a sunny day and almost always, a nicer event. Therefore, it doesn't get out much up here! :)

The other school of thought is just enjoy the silk version and not worry so much about it. I scotchguarded mine and it seems to have helped - especially in keeping the bag a little stiffer.

jane22
02-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks so much for the reply and the advice about scotch guarding!! I'm so glad to hear that you like the Fond of Flora pattern too! I also love that little flower applique which makes it so unique. I thought about scotch guarding my Spring Roll, but I read on PPB's website that they did not recommend it. I don't know why. Sounds like you haven't had any issues (with scotch guard) and that it has helped keep your bag clean. I may just go that route!

thanks again!

audball
02-13-2006, 09:34 PM
That's funny - I just went to their website and read their comments. I wonder if it's solely a liability issue - obviously, I'm not going to have my kids eating or sleeping on the bag, but maybe some folks would consider using their bags as pillows for their kids. Also, I bet that if someone scotchguarded a bag, s/he may not be as careful to protect the bag from "normal" wear and tear. And I have heard in the past that PPB customer service has not exactly been very accomodating to requests about cleaning/fixing bags. Maybe they just want the owners to be extra cautious with their bags....

I scotchguarded my bag because I have a One Cool Chick messenger (www. one cool chick.com) and Caroline routinely scotchguards her silk messenger bags before sending them out. I figure if she can do it, so can I! :)

mommabear
02-14-2006, 11:22 AM
I love the velveteen

lmcnabbkv
02-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I have a PPB which I use everyday, at first I was really overprotective of it but now it gets used as hard as any other diaper bag would. It has held up very well...it still gets the occasional snag which I just snip. I did spill my starbucks on it the other day and I spot cleaned it with cold water and patted it (spot the size of a fist) and you wouldn't even know it was there. This bag has also been completely soaked in the rain and looks almost as new as the day I bought it, I am always getting compliments on it.
That being said, I think you should choose whichever fabric you like, I am one of the people who think the ff and velveteen look like an old couch but that is just my personal opinion. Either way you will be quite pleased with your decision and even the most delicate bags can stand up to quite a lot. Why not just use it and enjoy it!

clc053103
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
I vote Spring Roll- Love the chocolate brown! I think Fond of Flora is wintery, while Spring Roll I would use all year long. And I guess Fond of Flora does look like granny's sofa a bit. I think either wouldn't show dirt that much as they are darker colors.

Good luck with your decision- don't worry about DH- remember, it's you that carries the bag! hehe

Bluevie
02-18-2006, 12:43 AM
I have the Fond of Flora and I absolutely love it! I got it for the reason that I think it is much more durable than the brocades. I also have a sweetie roll which I loved but it is too delicate and snags a lot. I think that the fabric of the FOF is really pretty and the flower is so cute. Not grandma-ish at all. I've gotten lots of compliments on it and my DH doesnt mind carrying it either! He actually thinks that it's better looking than my sweetie roll!