PDA

View Full Version : un-diaper bags

Jazelle121
02-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions for using a non-diaper bag as a diaper bag. Such as a regular backpack or a timbuk2 messenger style bag. I have a 15month old and our second baby is due 4/29. I will use other items inside for organization.

Jennifer

audball
02-14-2006, 09:53 AM
I did a small review of using a small Timbuk2 messenger (not a metro) as a diaper bag earlier: http://tinyurl.com/cck47

You could probably do an advanced search on Timbuk2 here in this forum and find something. Using a messenger vs. another type of bag really depends on how accesible you want your items, how much you pack, and personal preferences. The medium T2 is a little too large IMO. I think they need a size between the small and the medium, as the medium allows for too much stuff to move around. That said, we almost always use at least one T2 medium messenger when we travel - mainly to store bulky items (like toys or blankets), which wouldn't be a pain to find. But it does work, and I have used a medium for 2 kids in dipes and my son has food allergies, so we pack meds and foods for him too.

Other bags that may work for you: T2 cargo tote, the XL tote (on sale at sierratrading post.com), Overland Equipment bags (the Crescent and the Quarter Moon may work for quick trips; and the Donner or Trinidad would be great too). I have used regular backpacks for both kids too and the trick is to layer the backpack so that items you think you probably won't need (for us on trips it was dipes and allergy meds) are on the bottom...

CiderLogan
02-14-2006, 02:25 PM
I've used tons of bags with my DD over the past 2.5 years, and most of them have not been diaper bags. I just try to figure out what my ideal size/configuration would be and find a bag that meets those needs. But I tend to pack lightly and have never needed to carry formula, so that helps. Good luck with your search!

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

Rach3975
02-14-2006, 11:56 PM
It all depends what bags you choose, IMO. When DS was a newborn I didn't like the diaper bags I was seeing in my price range, so I tried to use a Reaction bag by Kenneth Cole. Size and organization were good, but I went through 3 bags in the first year, since the straps (on multiple styles) kept ripping on me. I think the more rugged bags (Timbuk2, LL Bean, etc) would work great. A friend of mine with 2 year old twins has a basic backpack that she's used since day 1, and it's still working great for her. I think it's a Jansport.

mommiex2
02-15-2006, 03:13 PM
I HATE diaper bags. For both of my kids I used non-diaper bags until I could just carry a spare diaper in my car! Backbacks are good, until you are carrying the baby on the front and the backpack on the back. You begin to feel a little topheavy! Not to mention all of the people you will bang into. (ok, so maybe that was just me!)
Have you looked on handmade sites? Ebay has lots, I am using a KeetaCollection bag right now. I like the messenger bags - they still leave your hands free. A lot of the handmade people will custom make a bag to your specs. Thats pretty fun too.
Good luck :)

sleo25
02-15-2006, 04:33 PM
How do you like your keeta collection bag? I've been eyeing her bags for a little while now and was curious how well its made. I like her messenger style ones but haven't liked any of the fabric combinations yet. Thanks.

mommiex2
02-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I like it a lot. It's not real diapery like some of them are. It's more for me, just a basic bag with pockets all inside. You know what I mean. My SIL had one designed for her, but not the messenger. They both seem to be good so far.

I am ready to be out of the carry everything phase! Yippee. It's too much sometimes. I like to simplify everything.

chubbycheeks
02-15-2006, 07:43 PM
I've had some good luck with Vera Bradley bags, if you like her style. I have used the Carry All, the villager, the betsy and the toggle tote all as make shift diaper bags!