PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag Tags

shburks
02-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I've been wanting to put a tag on ds's diaper bag for a while. There are some great E-bay stores that do really cute ones! What information should I put on the tag? Obviously his first name, but is his last name necessary or too much information? Should the back have more information--i.e. address, parent cell phone numbers, etc.??

Two things to keep in mind:

1. We are military, so our address and phone numbers WILL change!
2. This is mostly for use at our church nursery, occasional drop-in day care, and similar situations. He does not do daycare daily.

TIA,

Susan

Sangiovese
02-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I would just put first and last name. In the situations that you mention, they just need to know which bag belongs to which child. I guess the other question would be - if you lost the bag, would it be a big deal (do you keep something valuable in the bag or is the bag valuable to you)? Or just a good excuse to get a new bag (which is my position)? If the bag isn't important and you don't keep anything valuable in it, I would stick to just first and last name only.

I hope that helps!

jennab
02-20-2006, 10:13 AM
From a safety perspective, I would NOT recommend putting your addy on the tags.

FWIW, I've gotten a lot of recriminations from people, just for putting DS's name on his backpack (he mainly uses it at the fitness center nursery or church nursery right now, everyone knows it is his) although he loves it and we'll probably have him carry his OWN toys in it on our next plane trip, to free up space in the diaper bag!

If you are concerned about losing it, perhaps including your email address (which isn't likely to change and cannot be tracked to an address)with "if found please contact" preceding it!

shburks
02-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking. Like I said, it's mostly for our church nursery and that sort of thing that ends up with lots and lots of babies and diaper bags in there and while they do have identification tags, I just wanted to add something else. Thanks for the info. Oh, and sorry that people are giving you a hard time about the tag. :)

Susan

bubbaray
02-20-2006, 11:26 PM
I never put my home address or telephone number on any luggage tags -- I always use my work business cards. Thieves target airports/train stations, etc., looking for home addresses and telephone numbers, then they go rob your house while you're at the airport. Granted, your child's backpack may not go to the airport, but same idea, KWIM?

Also, I won't put DD's name on things like backpacks, jackets, etc.. If someone comes up to a child and knows the child's name, the child is more likely to go with that person. Having said that, I wouldn't give someone a hard time about doing so, its just my personal choice/paranoia.

Why not go with a luggage tag designed for a business card? Then, you can make up your own "business" cards (if your or your DH d/n have them through work) and put on a non-home contact number (a cell phone number that d/n show your home addy or a grandparents number). That way, as you are military, you can change the addy when you move. Staples sells business card paper for your printer, its really easy to do.

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

LHRoberts
02-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Here's another idea -- especially if you like the look of those cute tags on e-bay, yet don't want to give strangers information such as the baby's name, address, etc.

How about going with a similar tag, but putting some sort of special picture/symbol on it (ie, ladybug, baby bottle, palm tree, pink bow, etc.) That would make the bag unique enough for identification without giving away any personal information. (Might make the church volunteers or day-care workers a bit perplexed, but at least you still get to use a cute tag.)