PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding a purse. Not just any...

MamaKath
03-27-2006, 09:49 PM
purse, the right purse. I know this is THE place where I will find help. ;-) My needs for what I carry daily have changed so much with becoming a WOHM and DS toileting. I finally live near some stores, but never have time to shop, lol. So I wrote out what I need. I have still been looking at various diaper bags, since they seem to best suit my needs and I can compare to them the easiest. I have been checking a ton of online stores, especially ebags and qvc (travelon bags seem neat). I am realizing I am probably looking for a more urban/sporty bag since i want the grab handle and water bottle access, but no black. Navy works though, and so do colors. :-) So here is my list...

Things I want in a bag-
*Smaller (than a SkipHop diaper bag; I have alternated between the Duo and Expo for quite some time now)
*Cell phone easy to access
*Water bottle slot
*Grab Handle of some kind (I am finding this is really a must)
*Easy to adjust from shoulder bag to messenger
*Long enough strap to wear messenger style (I am a big girl, lol)
*Pockets to organize inside
*Light color interior
*Key fob
*Lightweight (probably microfiber or nylon)
*Easy to clean; I am a throw it in the washer type of gal
*Some kind of top closure
*Opens wide enough to see what you need

Don’t care about/Don’t want-
*An organizer pocket for credit cards and id (I carry a separate wallet), but a pocket for a wallet would be fine
*Changing pads
*Being able to hold big stuff as I keep a big bag with emergency supplies in the car
*Leather
*No backpacks, I find that it isn’t suitable for my daily lifestyle
*No black

Things I need to carry-
*Cell Phone
*Water Bottle
*Couple small snacks (gummies, granola bar size type)
*Wallet (size is 8"H x 53/4"W closed; the LL Bean Passport organizer wallet)
*Small tubes of hand sanitizer, handcream, sunscreen, lip balm, and maybe some Tylenol (packed in a small cosmetics bag)
*Wipes hard case (Don't think I will ever stop carrying those, lol)
*pen
*notepad
*toy or two

Bags I have really liked that come the closest…
*SkipHop Duo and Expo (love these bags, but too big for my more current needs. I LOVE the blue camo though)
*Old LE Little Tripper (overall this is probably the closest to what I am currently looking for; no outside cup holder, but I loved the strap and the grap handles)
*Essentials Sling bag (Works really well for out and about, but not as well for work, need something more purselike, though I have been thinking of getting a blue one for summer)
*LE Small Tailored tote (wished it had a top strap and was easier to clean, I have the white canvas)
*LLBean Diaper Bag (Too big by far- I ended up really overpacking and loosing stuff in it; loved the pockets, light interior, wasn’t loving the blue though, no grab strap)

TIA!!!
(I am suffering from spring fever and shopping fever at the very same time, yikes!!!)

LD92599
03-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Sounds like something ala Le Sportsac would be up your alley. You can get really good deals in their outlet stores (50% off retail).

ETA: Oops, no grab strap on the Le Sportsac. Sorry!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala @ optonline.net
[img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

audball
03-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Timbuk2 Mini Metro ? Or maybe just a small messenger that you customize on their site (www.timbuk2.com). Also, Sierra Trading Post often has many types of T2s on sale.

Possibly the Sherpani Lena? I think these guys are on ebags, and they usually qualify for the discounts that ebags offers. The diaper bag version has magnetic closures and bottle holder (though non-insulated).

Also, possibly the Lexie Barnes Darling? Her new bags in May should have grab straps, but you can actually make one by clipping together the stroller straps.

Mikesa3
03-28-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't know but if you find one,lmk that's exactly what I have been needing/wanting. I'm using the newer LT right now but that doesn't have that great grab handle. Maybe I'll dig my old LT out and use that for awhile.I'd make my own but would like it be of a more durable/wipe clean fabric then I'd be able to make it out of.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

saschalicks
03-28-2006, 01:19 PM
I was reading and the whole time thinking the Fleurville Sling Tote. They are coming out with a mini ST in April. You can see them here: http://www.fleurville.com/products/mini_tote.html and I know many e-tailers are allowing you to pre-order. Althogh it doesn't have a grab strap you might like all of the organization.

MamaKath
04-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I am leaning toward the T2 Mini Metro Tote. It seems like it has the most features out of what I am looking for. I hove found some others, but they end up just not "doing it" for me. Either no grab strap, wrong fabric, etc. The problem right now is finding a fabric I like for it. Part of me wishes it would convert to a waist pack too, but we can't have it all right, lol. I may have to dig out my old LE Little Tripper for awhile until I find the "right" bag.

audball
04-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Kath, they still have the T2 Mini Metros in silver, pink, or black (all one color) for $25 at Sierra Trading Post. And if you go to fatwallet.com and search for sierra trading post code, you can find the riddle for free shipping....just remember to enter the key code for the catalog in the box and copy the question and answer exactly as it appears in fatwallet....

Twin Mom
04-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Kath - Timbuk2 used to make a bag that was very similar to the Metro Mini called the Short Cut which does convert to a waist pack. They used to have them on STP a while back. It has a little less usable space then the Metro Mini because the waist pack straps take up a bit of room in the separate back compartment but overall it is very similar. It also has a few more pockets in the front than the mini so it has a bit more organization. It doesn't have a water bottle holder though but IMO the one on the mini isn't that great anyway.

dylansnan
04-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Sounds like what I need too, LOL! I have been all over the ST site the past few days, and placed 2 orders! sheesh ;-) I am leaning towards the TB2 also.

MamaKath
04-13-2006, 09:53 AM
I am not sure it is the "perfect bag" but I am not sure that exists. This one met almost every requirement and is much more "purse-like" than anything I have carried in a few years. We'll see how I like it once I pack it up. I am also going to try to check out some of the Vera Bradley bags. I love them, and used to carry them until I had a boy. ;-) Maybe I need to bring that girly side back out sometime. So anyway, here it is the LLBean Premium Shoulder Bag in Fabric/Leather...
http://cdn.llbean.com/products/travel_gear_apparel/42900/images/M42900_Sage.jpg
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=premium-shoulder-bag&categoryId=42900&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4520&cat4=2913&shop_method=pp&feat=dp50

dylansnan
04-13-2006, 05:03 PM
I haven't received it yet, but this looks promising. It has organization and I love the look of it. I am hoping I can use my travel toiletries organizer/faux Escape Pod (thanks to your suggestion Kath ;-)in it.

http://www.ebags.com/ultimate_direction/misto/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=65905

MamaKath
04-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Cindy that looks so cool! Definitely post a review when you get it. I was laughing about the organizer comment. I was just thinking I might have to shop for one for inside my new bag. I haven't found mine from the move last year. :-) Great minds think alike, eh? ;-) Fabulous looking bag!!! Please remember to post a review. :-)

ETA- Which color did you get? That honey color looks delicous!!!! Chocolate too.

dylansnan
04-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Hehe!! I got the Honey!!! It should come today, so I'll use it a little and post a review.
Target had quite a few bags in the luggage section, recently- I was thinking of getting another ;-) They had a few sizes too.

BTW- I couldn't figure out how to get the pic in the message like yours

dylansnan
04-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure it's going back. It is too small. I can fit my stuff, but there is not enough space to put a few little things for the kiddos- if needed. The travel organizer would not fit in main pocket- at all.
I was hoping this would work for me as a purse- especially on a possible Europe trip this summer, but the main compartment doesn't have a zipper, so I that makes me worry about "pick pockets" KWIM.
So even though it is pretty, I think I am going to return it.