PDA

View Full Version : traveling with a 3mo

Maria K
04-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Help...
First time mom here...
Nervous about just about everything...
We will be traveling in June to Portland with our then 3 month old son...
I plan to buy consumables when we get there (formula, diapers, wipes, etc), but what about all the gear? We'll be staying at a couple of family's homes so we'll need a crib of some kind (MIL says she'll buy us a PNP type thing that we can bring home with us... how do I package that for the return trip)? Do I pack the sterilizer? the snap n go?
What gear should I absolutly take with me... and how do I check the big stuff?
What should I leave at home... and is there a make-shift alternative I can use-and-leave when we're done?
THANKS SO MUCH!
- Maria

hobokenmom
04-06-2006, 05:57 AM
First off, relax and take a deep breath. Honestly, it's really easy to travel with a 3 month old because they don't really need much, besides diapers and formula.

As for the gear, what type of gear will you need besides a crib, stroller and carseat? If you're buying a seat on the plane for your son, you can take the carseat right onto the plane with you. If not, you can gate check it right along with your stroller. When you get to Portland, they'll have both carseat and stroller waiting for you at the door of the plane.

As for the sterilizer, I'm not sure how big it is, and how adamant you are in having everything sterilized. I never used a sterilizer, but ran any bottles and nipples through the dishwasher. I think my kids are just fine.

The packnplay can probably be boxed up and then checked with your baggage on your return flight.

Good luck! We went to St. John when my third was 6 weeks old, and he was certainly the easiest one to travel with!!

AddiesMom
04-06-2006, 06:31 AM
I flew alone with a 9 week old and didn't sleep a wink the night before we left. Here is my advice:

Most important- Don't panic. If you forget something, just remember in the olden days people lived with out whatever you forgot!

When you fold up the PNP it will fit back in the original box. I checked one on a plane ride and it did just fine. If worse comes to worse, have MIL take it to the post office or UPS/Staples and send it to you after the trip. My parents sometimes ship things home instead of going over in luggage at the airport. It will probably cost $15 at the most if you send it ground and one less thing to deal with.

I brought the stroller frame since I was going out to eat a lot and it helped in restaurants, baby slept through every meal. Mine is a combi flash that folds up really small, I checked that at the gate so I could use it in the airport (I was alone so it made things easier, plus the Britax Companion seat weighs a ton)

I actually brought the diapers, formula and wipes. Pampers refills wipes (small pack, not the jumbo box) has bags that are re-sealable and don't need to go into a plastic container, so I use these when I travel. I packed it all in a huge hockey bag! I used to use a hockey bag in college when I took the bus home, it fill all of the laundry my mom got to do all weekend. :) They are huge and very durable!

I stopped sterilizing by then, so I only brought bottles. DD is still going strong!

I just took some small toys since we were in Disney and she wouldn't have much down-time. Recently I went to visit family and drove so I took the bouncy seat and her play gym since she was going to be at my aunt's house a lot and it fit in the car. I recently saw a portable bouncy chair by Infantino at Target (it wasn't with the bouncy chairs, with with baby travel gear).
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-3/qid=1144322709/ref=sr_1_3/601-1284242-0198510?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000CFHJWA

I packed way, way too much clothes and those teeny-tiny outfits end up taking up a lot of room. If MIL has a washing machine, then cut down on the clothes.

dhano923
04-06-2006, 11:06 AM
First of all, are you flying?

Don't overdo it, like the other PP said. Small babies don't need much. If the places you are staying at have a dishwasher, you don't need the sterilizer. Or you can sterilize them the old fashioned way (wash the bottles, then put them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then let cool).

Take enough formula and diapers for a day, even if your trip is only a couple hours. You never know what can happen! If you are planning on going shopping, for walks, etc then take the snap and go. If you are planning on being out and about for long periods, take a regular stroller since it's not good for babies to be in a car seat for long periods of time when not neccessary. If you are flying, you can gate check the stroller and check the car seat with your luggage if you didn't buy a seat for the baby.

Don't take too many clothes for the baby -- you can always wash them there, plus I'm sure people will be giving you gifts so you want to leave room to bring those home.

shburks
04-06-2006, 12:46 PM
:) You've already gotten some great advice. If you're adamant about sterilizing, go buy the Medela bags (sold with the Medela bottles, pumps, etc) at Target, BRU,etc. They're only about $5 for a box of 6 bags. You just put a tiny bit of water in there (2oz), put in the bottles, nipples, etc and zap in the microwaves for about 60 seconds. It's about the size of a gallon ziploc (super easy to pack!) and can be used up to 20 times so just toss before you come home!

yep, stick the PNP back in the box for return trip or leave it there for your next visit home!

Take your stroller, of course, (the Snap N Go) and your carseat and you're good to go!

Take enough baby clothes for a few days and just keep washing!! Otherwise, his clothes will take up your whole suitcase!! Ha ha!

We flew with ds from Seattle to Atlanta at 10 weeks--again at 6 months. Then we moved to Honolulu when he was 8 months. Flew from Honolulu to Colorado Springs at 11 months and Honolulu to Atlanta (non-stop) at a year! Trust me...it's MUCH easier flying when they're very little. :)

Just remember that the baby has to be hand-carried through the metal detector at the airport. He cannot be in a Baby Bjorn or a carrier/carseat--that has to go through the machine as does your stroller. Just FYI so you can be prepared!

Anything else you're specifically worried about?

Susan

Yamsuf
04-06-2006, 01:57 PM
I have flown with my 6MO DD eight times since she was born. Actually, I just came back in town this morning. I also agree with the others, don't overdo it. I travel with my infant car seat and the Combi Flash Car seat carrier and no stroller. I try to bring the car seat on when there are extra seats otherwise I check them both at the gate.

The first time I flew I was so nervous, but it was fine. Just remember, it is much easier than it seems.

Good luck.

JeannieMN
04-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Great advice so far!

One thing not mentioned is to make sure you pack an extra set of clothes for your son should an explosion occur. This happened to a mom sitting next to us on a recent flight and she did not have an extra set of clothes for her 4 month old. Thankfully, I had some things she could use to wrap her baby in until we landed.

Also, we used a travel diaper changing system (it holds a few diapers, wipes, ointment, etc) and it all wraps up in a changing pad. This was great for butt changes on the plane!

You can gate check your stroller and car seat at the bording area (check to see if there's an empty seat, most airlines will let you have it and allow you to put your car seat in it for your baby).

Good luck!

tmrbwilson1998
04-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I agree with the PP, especially about packing an extra outfit (PACK TWO!!!) for the plane. When I flew alone with my DS who was 3 mo, we flew from Frankfurt to SC and before we even made it to the gate in Frankfurt, he exploded. Good thing I washed it at the bathroom and dried it a little with the hand blow dryer...he blew out the next outfit in the 1st flight (12 hours - ugh!). I also agree with one of the PP who said that if yo uforget something, no worries! Remeber that there are Targets and Wal-Marts everywhere, and you will be with your family, so all is okay! My now-3yo DS has flown back and forth between Germany and SC 4 times (roundtrip, so I guess 8 times total) and you are traveling at a great time - so easy. Don't forget some pacifiers (and a clip to help keep them attached to your little guy).

Not sure how long you are staying, but if it for a while (our trips were a month each time), you may want to take a portable swing or bouncy seat or buy one there if you do not already have one.

For what it's worth, I carried a bigger bag when DS was that age (a DIA) filled to the gills with dipes and some clothes, then had a smaller bag (a LT) that was easy to just grab if I had to take him to the bathroom for a change. I did end up changing him mostly on an empty seat next to me, thank goodness!

You will do great...deep breath and once you get on the plane, it will be so much better :)

Happy and safe travels to you! (and many congrats on your sweet baby boy!)
Tina

pampamz
04-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Ditto what everyone else has said! I flew w/my 7 week old DD solo to visit family on the other side of the continent and she did fabulous on the flight -- the younger the better in my opinion. I brought my BabyBjorn on the flight and it just was a nuisance -- DD was not permitted to be in it so I had to just store it. Family had a bassinet waiting for us but she ended up sleeping with me most of the trip. Also, head to a Walmart or Target & buy what you need when you arrive (diapers, wipes, formula) and just pack for the day. Enjoy & Congrats.

pampamz
04-07-2006, 07:33 AM
p.s. I second the motion on the sterilizer thing -- a dishwasher worked for me!

Maria K
04-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Thank you for all the great advice.

We'll be gone for 11 days. I don't want to take up a whole suitcase with his clothes, but I also don't want to spend vacation doing laundry... how many changes of clothes do you suggest I pack?

It's good to know about gate checking the stroller. I didn't think of that. I just assumed anything not in a suitcase would get beat to hell.

:)

- Maria

tmrbwilson1998
04-07-2006, 02:13 PM
If I were you, I would plan on doing just one load of DS's laundry. I would probably pack about 6 outfits and keep an extra packed in your dipe bag when out if your little guy explodes like mine used to! I would pack more if he has a tendency to explode though.
No sweat on the stroller - you take it down the rampway to the airplane, they will fold it up for you, then as soon as you step foot off the plane, it is there (or will be there shortly) for you!

BTW, with DS, someone had suggested to me to pack some Infant Tylenol just in case his ears were hurting from the pressure, and someone else suggested Benadryl. I fortunately did not have to use these, but made sure I had a few pacis and planned feeds for takeoff and landing times to help with the ear pressure.

HTH a little!
Tina