PDA

View Full Version : JuJube Packabe or Silverline Convertible Backpack

DAKnits
04-17-2006, 03:33 PM
I need a backpack/messenger style bag for an upcoming trip and need it to carry a lot and be organized, but not too huge that I feel like I am overloaded. I have the Bumble Jessica backpack/messenger and the PBB Boxy Backpack and neither work for me ... the Bumble is too flimsy with not enough structure and doesn't fit enough, and the the PBB is just so bulky (I've got the tapestry/brocade fabric), and isn't durable/cleanable enough for a trip.

I've narrowed it down to these two bags, and want to know what's the best choice ...

Right now I use the PBB backpack and use the outside changing area for wipes, diapers, cream and a few cloth bibs, and the main pocket for toys, two or three containers of food, a bottle and two lil' milks and my big wallet. The two outside side pockets have a sippy cup and a Avent bottle.

Which bag will best meet my needs?

THANKS!

nfowife
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I think between those 2, the packabe is more streamlined. The silver line is very boxy (you can see in the pictures on the silverlinebabybags.com website). Another option would be something like the land's end diaper backpack. Not as trendy or stylish, but might fit your needs at a good price.

tmrbwilson1998
04-17-2006, 06:46 PM
I can only speak to the Packabe, and I really love it, except for the non-padded straps! There is great organization with the 2 front pockets (I use them both for my things) and then the main compartment and pockets in each compartment. I can pack my things (PDA in case, cell, F'ville wristlet, camera, post-it pad and paper, compact, lip gloss, and some other little odds and ends); a D&W with wipes and 1 pull-up and 2 sz 4 Cruisers; small cosmetic bag with medicines, band-aid, neosporin, Aveeno kinda big tube of sunscreen, travel-sized bottles of Aveeno lotion and baby lotion; and my snack shuttle (I can fit a couple to-go containers of applesauce and oranges, snack trap, silverware, and a box of raisins). I still have room to shove a bib or whatever else in there as well.

The nice thing about this bag is that it is not big and bulky - it looks small and compact but has plenty of room.

HTH a little! :-)
Tina

DAKnits
04-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the info! The Land's End bag looks a little bulky looking, but I'll check it out again to make sure! I do like that the Packabe can be both messenger and backpack. What about the One step Ahead bag?

nfowife
04-18-2006, 09:17 AM
I think the packabe is great looking, but I personally could never wear it as a messenger- it is just very long, not wide like a traditional messenger. It is nice to have that option, though, and it depends on your height I guess too.
Other convertible backpack/messenger options are the timi and leslie large bebe, bumble bags Jessica (I think that's the one), and maybe the loom marsupial (don't know if that one is convertible but I think it is).

DAKnits
04-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Ok, I bit the bullet and got the JuJube Packabe in Sassy stripes. I think it's going to be a great every day diaper bag. My question is ... do I also need a big travel diaper bag? I've got TONS of diaper bags, but nothing that really fits the bill (of course, although my DH would disagree). My Oilily bag is huge, but no organization. Do I need a big old backpack diaper bag for the plane ride and long trips? Since my daughter hates to be confined in a stroller, I usualy end up having to pick her up and carry her a lot, so I was thinking that I really need a bag that at least converts to a backpack. The One Step Ahead weekender bag looks great, but it's only a messenger -- do you think it will work anyway? The Land's End backpack looks like a hiking backpack with thick straps, and I just don't like the look or feel of those. Any suggestions? Is it necessary to have so much stuff with me for the long plane ride, or should I just carry a separate toy bag. I hate having a million little bags, I ususally like to work from one bag.

THANKS again for all the help!

tmrbwilson1998
04-19-2006, 05:36 AM
I am in the same boat! I have the Packabe (okay, and the Be Small!) and though for me these bags have more than enough room for the average day, I find myself needing extra room some days. I had the LE backpack and sold it since I was not using it as much as I used to and I wanted the "pretty factor" as well. I am checking out the Posh Baby Ultimate (if I can find one on sale!) since it is messenger and converts. Here is a link to some inside pics a Mommy here posted a while back:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=20393&mesg_id=20393&page=

If you find a pretty backpack with organization, please let us know!

:-)
Tina

DAKnits
04-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Well, I haven't found what I'm looking for yet :-( The One Step Ahead Urban looks promising, but I'm not sure if it will fit my portable DVD player along with all the other stuff I need for my DD on the plane. I really don't like the looks of the Land's End backpack, but it would probably hold everything. I don't like feeling like I look like I'm going on a hike -- I really want a backpack that looks like it's a diaper bag ... still searching. THanks for the link to the Posh -- if I didn't have the PPB, I would probably want it. I just don't think it's organized enough or big enough for my plane ride.