PDA

View Full Version : First time mom needs help!

Sarahbunny
04-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi everyone. I have lurked on here for several months and this is my first post! I am going to be a new mommy in late May. This is unexpected, as we are adopting and we just were chosen by a set of expecting parents to raise their baby girl! So exciting. I'm freaking out, pretty much. So we are very busy trying to figure everything out. I LOVE purses, so I think I will a babybag maniac.

My question to you all is this...what size bag do I need? I am thinking of getting a Lexie Barnes superstar or darling. It seems like a darling would be fine size-wise, but maybe that is because I haven't had an infant yet? And am underestimating what I would carry? FYI - I tend to carry a larger purse because . But when I look around on here, it seems like the bigger bags are what moms of 2 or more carry. It's hard to know since no one around me sells them...I will need to order it online.

I was also considering the Posh Baby Ultimate...

What size bag did you all get when you first had a baby? Or what size bag should you have gotten? Thanks!!!

Oh...and what all did you put in the baby bag in the beginning? Why do I have no instinct for any of this????

hudsonam
04-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Congratulations!! That's so exciting! I would probably suggest getting the Superstar. Usually you need something larger with a newborn, and then something a little smaller when they get to be toddler age, and then of course something bigger if and when you have more than one.

I used a big ol' backpack in the beginning called the Eagle Creek Parent Survival Pack, as well as a Clutterbag tote. That was actually on the small side, but it worked out for short trips, and it was open at the top, so I could really stuff it if necessary. Then I got a Vera Bradley Carry All, which was sometimes slightly small when he was a baby. I also have a Skip Hop Dash now, which is more medium size, but I love it. It has great organization.

If I remember correctly, you'll probably carry a bottle or two, some extra formula if you're formula feeding, a couple changes of clothes, a couple burp cloths, a receiving blanket, maybe a couple small toys, some baby food when they get to be 4-6 months old, a few diapers, a travel wipes case, a travel size diaper cream and/or powder, some hand sanitizer, and maybe even a spare set of clothes for yourself if you have a spitter-upper! ;) I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but that's a start.

HTH! Good luck! :)

chubbycheeks
04-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Congratulations! So exciting! I too would suggest the Superstar. I have the darling and two kiddos (one who is almost potty trained and a one year old) and although most times its fine, there are times I wish it were a bit larger. I think for a newborn, bigger is better in general, at least at first until you figure out what type of packer you are! The PP had had some great suggestions on what to pack! Best wishes!

pampamz
04-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Congratulations -- that is absolutely thrilling. There are serious bag experts here so you will get the right advice.
As for what to pack and your lack of "instinct" rest assured that ANY new mom is always unsure about these things. Trust me that you will quickly get the hang of it!
With my first born DS, my bag was overfilled with:
-4-5 NB/Size 1 dipes & case of travel wipes
-Several spare sleepers/onesies, burpies and bibs
-Small receiving blanket
-Extra hat, scratch mittens, spare set of socks
-Avent bottle & can of ready to use formula
-Change pad, Tempra, travel thermometer, kleenex, travel size vaseline/bum cream, Purel, bags for dirty dipes, nail trimmers (?), Mommy stuff.
WAAAAAY too much! But I quickly downsized and when DD came along I never went back to packing even half that much.
Good luck, enjoy the ride!
Pam
DS 3.5yo
DD 9mo