PDA

View Full Version : Will the Silverline Convertible be my perfect bag? Any pics to look at?

DAKnits
04-27-2006, 01:51 AM
I have now decided on my big airplane travel bag (the Land's End Triple Compartment Backpack), and my quick errand bag (the Silverline Swagg), but need a new everyday bag that can be both a messenger and a backpack (which narrowed my choices, but I really need the ability to wear it either way). I decided on the Silverline Convertible and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I bought the JuJube Packabe and thought it would be the answer, but I couldn't believe it when I couldn't fit everything from my PBB in there, and also since the bag is taller than it is wide, with all the stuff I bring, I end up digging too much.

I have been using the PBB Boxy Backpack in Lily, and I want something more organized and less bulky. This is what I was looking for...
Place for changing supplies: 2 size 6 diapers, wipes case, diaper creme.
Compartment for 2 cloth bibs and one burp cloth, sunhat, sweater two snack containers, two Lil' milks.
Place for a few toys -- one board book, a few small figurines and toys cars.
Place for a sippy cup and two bottles. Insulated not necessary.
Small pocket for small items: safety scissors, medicines, hair brush, daughter's's sunglasses.
Place to put my wallet, keys, camera and phone.

I also like to have a little extra space to shove my daughter's shoes in when we leave a playdate and she doesn't want to put them back on, or a small purchase. And EASY access, no digging.

Will I really love the Silverline Convertible? I was looking at the Loom Bandicott for a while, but it looks sooooo small. Am I missing anything? Anyone have pics of the Silverline Convertible packed? Or an interior shot?
THANKS!

maurenemm
04-27-2006, 03:17 PM
I just got this bag a few days ago. (When I saw one on ebay for a good price, I took the plunge.)

My initial impressions are that it is nicer looking than I expected. I got it in apple (and splash) and I was afraid it would be a neon or florecent green but its actually a really nice apple green. I haven't packed it yet and I think it might take a lot of trial and error to find what will work best. There are several zipper compartments but mostly on the outside and in the messenger flap - so I'm not sure how well they could hold bulkier items. In the main compartment, I'm thinking I'll want to use some smaller bags to organize stuff - like a Diappee&Wipee (sp?) or Ida cases. There doesn't seem to be a sub-compartment that would hold diapers and wipes well - unless you use the "skinny-minny" changing pad which takes up a lot of space.

Really, I need to examine the bag more and experiment. I'll try to take some pics for you.

DAKnits
04-30-2006, 10:53 PM
I would love to see pictures of it! I really liked the idea of the skinny minny changing pad, figuring you can just grab it and it has all the things you need for changing. Is it huge looking?

maurenemm
05-01-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry I haven't taken any pictures for you yet. Did I read in another post you've already ordered this bag?

The skinny-minnie (changing pad) is large. The changing pad looks great - very padded and has nice (but perhaps unnecessary) straps for securing it to a changin table and to baby. But, if you were to carry it in the convertible bag, it would take up about half of the space in the main compartment. (And, I think it is too big to fit in any of the other compartments.) I'm not sure that Silverline intended the skinny-minnie to be kept inside the convertible bag. For quick trips and used alone it might work well. But, I think something like the skip-hop pronto looks a little more streamlined and compact (although I haven't seen one in person).

I took a closer look at the convertible and has the following compartments/pockets:
on back:
-full length zipper compartment for storing backpack straps
-2 smaller zipper pockets abou the size (and depth) of legal sized envelopes

On bottom side of messenger flap
-zip pocket for cell phone (or similar sized object)

On front of bag (underneath messenger flap
-One large, pleated pocket which is the full width of the bag (looks like you could stuff a lot in here)

-two exterior side bottle pockets

Interior
-two pockets (pouches) side-by side along back (these look like they would hold diapers and wipes well
-behind these pockets are two zip pockets (might be good for things like diaper cream, medicine)

I still haven't used this bag. For me, I think it is too big for every day use but would be perfect for day outings (like to the zoo).

DAKnits
05-01-2006, 01:32 PM
I did buy the bag, and I am crossing my fingers this can replace my PBB boxy backpack as my everyday bag -- I am a heavy packer. Thanks for the heads up on the skinny minnie. I don't want to sacrifice space just for the changing pad -- my DD is already 20 months and I really only care about having a full coverage barrier with some type of padding, it doesn't have to be a huge pad. I was contemplating getting a patemm pad -- do you know if it's also big and bulky? If it is streamlined, I would love to be able to keep that in my diaper bag to grab and change my daughter. I also just bought a diaper case made by IdaD that can hold diapers, wipes and cream, but I don't like disposable pads, and I don't know what pad could possibly fit in there. I guess I'll have to post about that separately!

How do the accessories fit in the bag -- are they stacked on top of each other (the food cooler and the toys bag)?

THANKS for looking! I am always amazed at how heavy a packer I am -- your all day outing bag for the zoo is my everyday bag, LOL!!!! What do you use for everyday?

maurenemm
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
What color did you get?

Sorry, I don't know anything about the patemm pad. I'm itching for an Ida bag! I tend to pack heavy but am starting to pack a little lighter. Up until 2 weeks ago, I was using the free bag from the hospital as my everday bag. Now I'm using a fake Prada backpack which works great except it doesn't have any bottle pockets and I really want bottle pockets.

I've played with the convertible a little more and it could become my everyday bag. Its not that big but it is boxy which I think might work well worn as a backpack but not so well as a messenger but I'm going to give it a try. (for everyday, I prefer messenger.)

The accessory bags (toys and cooler) can be put in the bag side by side or stacked. They are exactly the same size.

Here are some pics:
With the messenger flap up (wardrobe portfolio in front pocket)
http://images1.snapfish.com/346985456%7Ffp344%3Enu%3D325%3B%3E285%3E234%3EWSNR CG%3D323369%3A44897%3Cnu0mrj
interior pockets (2 pouches infront of 2 zip pockets)
http://images1.snapfish.com/346985456%7Ffp33%3B%3Enu%3D325%3B%3E285%3E234%3EWS NRCG%3D323369%3A45466%3Cnu0mrj[/img ]
Bag with skinny-mini, 2 accesory bags
[img]http://images1.snapfish.com/346985456%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D325%3B%3E285%3E234%3EWSNR CG%3D323369%3A454676nu0mrj
Me with the bag messenger style (sorry bad pic)
http://images1.snapfish.com/346985456%7Ffp33%3B%3Enu%3D325%3B%3E285%3E234%3EWS NRCG%3D323369%3A448988nu0mrj

DAKnits
05-02-2006, 10:18 PM
I just typed out a whole response to this and it hasn't show up yet so this might be a double posting.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great pics! The bag looks similar in size to my PBB but with pockets and organization! The Skinny Minny doesn't look huge in the pics, but I am sure I won't want to keep it in there to take away space. The measurements are slightly larger than the PBB and I think this really might work for me as an every day bag!

I have also been trying to find a bag to replace my friend's everyday freebie Similac bag she's been using, and these are the bags I came up with: Silver Line Fling, Lexie Barnes Darling, Land's End Little Tripper, LL Bean Diaper bag. I'm not sure if any of those appeal to you -- they'are all messenger style.

Thanks again for the pictures and help!!!!!! I am so anxious to get the bag. Oh, and I got it in black -- I wish it had a different color lining, but I just didn't want to get a color I would get bored with or that would clash with my clothes since I plan to wear it everyday.

maurenemm
05-03-2006, 09:07 AM
You're very welcome! I hope the bag works for you. The Skinny-mini doesn't take up as much space as I thought but still more than most changing pads.

Thanks for the bag recommendations. Those are all bags I'm considering.