PDA

View Full Version : Luggage for baby/toddler? (or do you combine w/your suitcase?)

tmarie
04-29-2006, 09:37 PM
I am looking for suggestions for a suitcase/duffle bag for my baby girl...soon to be toddler.

By nature I'm an over-packer, but since having our dd I've tried to condense for our trips (we fly home to the east coast quite a bit) and I ALWAYS end up regretting it. I end up running out of clean outfits/pjs, etc... for her and then am annoyed at having to squeeze in time to do laundry while vacationing. I have also had issues with combining her clothes with mine...everything gets jumbled together and I have trouble finding whatever I need.

So....I'm looking for a small lightweight suitcase or duffle for dd. But ideally I'd love one with lots of compartments or pockets, so we can live out of it if necessary. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

T (Ellie's mom, 11 mo.)

tmrbwilson1998
04-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Hi again, T! We usually pack our DCs things in with ours, although now that DS is in 4T and DD is every-growing (and they both are in dipes), I decided to get something. I have found a new appreciation for Vera Bradley things after falling in love with the Picadilly Plum pattern, I decided to start her a collection! I started with the small duffel and I got the Betsy bag for a tote for me which I will later pass on to her, then got a large duffel on ebay, then I got a toiletry case I think it is called? It is squared off and is a flat rectangle where the whole top zips up - it looks great for toys and books, coloring supplies, etc. now and toiletries later. What I love about the line is that it is machine washable!

When DS was a baby I would use our LE DIA for his separate bag which worked great the first year. We still mostly pack all together, though it is nice to have extra room with the small duffel.

HTH!
Tina

tmarie
04-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi, Tina! That is very helpful. It's funny you mention Vera Bradley because I was eyeing them just yesterday. I always thought they weren't my style (probably b/c my MIL has them, LOL), but in the last few years they've really been growing on me, and I'm really impressed with the pockets, fun fabrics, lightweight quality, and the fact that they are machine washable. Have you found that they wear pretty well? That was my only concern since they look so delicate! :) I like the idea of starting a collection for me dd. That might help sell dh on the idea of yet more bags!

As for the diaper bag/carry on issue, I fell in love with the Lexie Barnes (especially the new patterns that are coming out mid May), but had trouble finding a selection of fabric patterns I like that are available before my trip (in just over a week). So to hold me over I ended up splurging on a Oi Oi Peacock messenger bag that I love! I'm going to keep my eye out on ebay and Yahoo bags for a Lexie Barnes. Is it terrible to want some extra diaper bags or do you truly end up using them? It is a bit addictive, hee hee....

Thanks again!
T

tmrbwilson1998
04-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi, T! Well, I have only justs gotten into the VB craze and have had our pieces for about 3 months. Like you, I just never understood the appeal; only the hoity-toity southern ladies in downtown Charleston ever seemed to use them growing up, but then I heard about them here and went to see them! I will say that they seem very sturdy and not so delicate AT ALL. Our small duffel (ahem, I mean DD's small duffel!) has been thrown around the back of our minivan, thrown here and thrown there and we use it two weekends a month to travel with. When I go to my parents' for an overnight with both kiddos, I can even manage our outfits, extra clothes for the kiddos, and their dipes and wipes in there, or it is is great just for dipes and wipes or toys when we are going awaw for a longer time.

Another thing about the VB bags (I use my Betsy and tried a Carry-All), the great thing is that they are still formed and not floppy since their is a covered piece of cardboard (I guess it is) that easily slips into the bottom of the bags.

About LB, I have a Darling, just sold a set of cosmetic bags, and have a SS on the way, and I can attest to the GREATNESS of this line! The only reason I decided to sell the Darling and the minis that go with it is b/c I need to upsize.

The bag-thing is VERY addictive to most of us who succumb! I always joke that I survived only with a LE DIA and LE LT with DS for 2 years until I discovered this world of diaper bags, and in the past 13-14 months have owned and/or sold over 15 bags or almost that! As for using them all, I am realizing that I cannot possibly use them all. I have decided that I really need a bag in each category, and with the help and ideas of the other members here and on Babybags, I have determined the categories of bags that my life "requires," lol!

The Oi Oi bags have peeked my interest since the beginning, and to me, they look very classy. The LB bags are spectacular in form and function, but for some reason, always look more of a casual style of bag, so maybe you could get the LB for everyday use and then keep your Oi Oi for times you need something more tailored?

Sorry to write a book :-)
Tina

tmarie
04-30-2006, 05:57 PM
15?! Oh, then I have plenty of shopping to do, LOL! I must confess I am totally adopting your "these are a collection for my dd" idea. My only problem is that I just love the Java line (brown and turquoise) and I have a feeling my little girly-girl would choose the bermuda pink if she knew her words. I'll have to mull it over...

Okay, as for reselling bags on ebay...is it easy to do with a minimally used bag? You've had success? I'll have to check it out. I've recently started selling dd's old clothes on ebay and am actually using the profits for these new diaper bags! :)

I'll let you know how I like the Oi Oi, if I keep it. I'm going to stuff it with all dd's things tomorrow and see how they fit. It is a really elegant bag...I just need to decide if it's practical.

Thanks for all your insights...good chatting with another relatively new bag addict!

~T

tmrbwilson1998
04-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Yes, 15 bags, but not all at once, though some people have, lol! Have you heard of the Yahoo babybags group? That is where I sell my bags and buy some, too. After all, the buying and selling is recycling, and I all for the environment :) I moved from overseas a few months ago and for some reason, even with a US address, could not get thru to see on ebay. I have not tried lately as I have had luck on babybags with the dipe bags, and I know many of the Moms have waited until there was no hope of selling on babybags before going thru the hassle and fees of ebay.

Here is the thing about your pattern dilemma - I look at it from the view that you will be using some of the pieces, especially if you get the duffel and a bag. This set will have the history for your little girl that this set is what Mommy got for her when she was a wee one, and that will make her feel special that the same pieces she sees pictures of herself as a baby with Mommy in she is still using as a teenager. Besides, the java blue line is great for all seasons, IMO - I see it all over the place these days in spring and I know it would look just as great in winter!

Have a great night! :-)
Tina

nupe
05-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I used to have a separate Travelpro duffel bag for DS, but the shoulder strap has disappeared. It had a few nice side compartments but not anything to write home about. I have found it easier to manage one larger piece of checked luggage that rolls easily (Samsonite spinners--4 wheels!) than a couple smaller pieces, especially with stroller, DS, diaper bag etc.

I now have the samsonite spinner, and I use Columbia packing cubes--they are zippered bags. For example I use a large one to keep my pants folded in half, or folded shirts/sweaters, stacked 2 wide. I use a smaller size for undergarments/socks. I started doing this long before the extra airport security--and now with security--it is great because they can see through the packs (and hopefully not have to open them all), and then socks/underwear don't go flying all over the place! Here is a link to a simlar item by Eagle Creek. I got mine at campmor--years ago, and they have held up really well.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39174248&memberId=12500226

So now I use a larger suitcase, and have separate packs for myself and DS. My packs are color coded purple and DS's packs are color coded blue.

I know this isn't about VB...but I find it really easy to stay organized this way.

Nupe

tmarie
05-01-2006, 02:47 PM
I love the packing cubes idea!! I'm going to go order some now. That sounds like it will definitely solve my packing problem...not to mention that now I'm getting hooked on diaper bags so I'd rather spend money there then on new luggage. :)

Thanks so much!!

Best,
T

nupe
05-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Glad you like the packing cube idea. Did you try it out yet? I don't think I will ever be able to pack without them again!

Nupe