PDA

View Full Version : ISO decent looking SNACK bag. What do you use?

MarisaSF
04-30-2006, 12:37 AM
I often run errands where I won't need diapering supplies, but I do need to bring DD's snacks (to deter fussiness). I find myself sticking my wallet, keys and cell phone into an old, awful-looking snack bag. I used to send DD to daycare with it and never minded how it looked, but now that it's my "purse" I'd like one that's not falling apart and (dare to dream?) does not make me look like a 6 year old going to day camp. :P

Any suggestions?

-Decent looking (fashionable?)
-Can hold the equivalent of 2 snack traps and a sippy cup
-Maybe a pocket for my wallet?
-Can just be one big space. No need for dividers.
-Can fit into stroller basket.
-A shoulder strap would be nice

TIA for any recs!

nfowife
04-30-2006, 09:28 AM
I love my new mini tote. I rarely diaper on the go also, though I do keep a diaper, dispsoable pad, and small wipes pack in my bag just in case. Here are pics of mine:
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/nfowife/mini%20tote/
There are also pics of my silverline swagg which can fit your items as well but has more compartments than you want, here are pics of that:
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/nfowife/swagg/
Other options would be one of the boutique-y bags on ebay (search for boutique diaper bag and lots of choices will come up!)or one of the smaller vera bradley bags.

audball
04-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey Marisa, this is funny because I've been looking for a small bag that was a cute, possibly smaller, alternative to my Chester backpack. I like my Chester a lot these days (now that DD is pt'd and DS is almost ready), but on occasion the "black hole" effect gets me and these days we travel quite light, so the extra room (which I appreciated earlier) makes for a jumble of snack traps!

I was out and about at our local Eddie Bauer store today and found the Mini Backpack. I can't find it on-line, but it's DEPT 023, STYLE 1253, and $29.99. It's not letting me link pics here, but I'll try to add later. Here's what I put in it:
Exterior bottle 1 (zippered for easy in and out): Nuby sippy
Exterior bottle 2(small bottle opening): cell phone, change purse, chapstick
Front zippered pocket: credit card holder, wallet (billfold size)

Interior has one long pocket along the rear, which is really handy for putting a Diapees and Wipees. On the front interior are pen pockets and one pocket that could fit a cell or Palm Pilot. Interior I fit:
-Two snack traps, 2 additional small snack cups (all stacked)
-wipes in ziploc
-long cosmetic bag with DS's meds (includes epi pen, bottle of Benedryl, small scissors, nail clippers)
-in pocket: D&W with one dipe, folded change mat, garbage bags, hand sanitizer

Rough measurements of this bag:
10"(W) - with pockets filled x 12"H x 5"-5.5"D

I looked at:
Silverline Swagg (too much bag and I have never had luck with conversion bags - one feature of the conversion is never quite as perfect as I would like ;))

Timbuk2 Lula (a gal on babybags said the bag had an odd opening for access)

Dakine Helix (came *this* close to buying with ebags 20% off coupon, but it seemed very close in size to Chester backpack with no interior pocket, but player pocket on top)

Sherpani Mia and Oli (seemed too deep)

MarisaSF
04-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks pals!
Before seeing your replies, I took at look at the LL Bean mini totes like this one with the zipper on top: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=46073&sc1=Search&feat=sr

I would want it *just* for snacks. I often keep little containers of raisins and cereal and other dry snacks in the bag, so I can add fresh stuff and run out the door.

The mini tote is the right size (I think?). I like the zipper top, but I wonder if it would be better to have some sort of waterproof lining.

I will look into the ones you both mentioned.

shburks
05-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Marisa--

These are great bags, and I think they're cute! You can always design your own bag, too, if you want (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=40297&feat=37037XS) if you wanted it to have longer straps for shoulder carry, hang off the stroller handles, etc. I have one that I use for occasional diaper bag (packs really well for trips!) and I love it. It's not waterproof, but the canvas is really thick. I think it would take a lot to soak through.

Susan

audball
05-01-2006, 09:01 AM
For just snacks, don't forget the Little Packrats brand! I love their styling. It's a little much for just vinyl and nylon straps, but they have some cute designs. We got DD the Olivia backpack for swim class. But their scribble totes sometimes go on big-time sale (like $15) - you just have to watch for them:
http://tinyurl.com/mk8z6

shburks
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Or what about this: http://www.babyblossomdesigns.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=Accessories

The custom snack-along??

Twin Mom
05-01-2006, 09:28 PM
What about the Timbuk2 Metro Mini? It is not super fashionable but it is nice and sporty looking. I use one to hold my potty seat, wipes and a change of clothes for each of my twins when I don't have to bring any stuff to entertain them. There is an inside mesh pocket that could hold a sippy although I'm sure it would depend on the size. STP used to have some for $25 but it looks like they are all gone. You could probably find one on babybags if you were interested.

HTH.

smzapalac
05-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks for posting photos. In your opinion, which of the three bags in the photo is your fav? I am considering the swagg, but am curious of you opinion on it. Thanks!

nfowife
05-01-2006, 10:13 PM
I would say of the 3, the ogo mini tote is currently my favorite because I really prefer tote style bags. I am using it everyday right now. I think each bag serves a purpose though. The LT has the largest capacity, and the swagg and mini tote can carry about the same amount of stuff. And honestly for a starter bag, you cannot beat the LT for price, customer service, durability, and functionality. I have yet to find a bag with all the same features, for anywhere near the same price as it. I keep coming back to it and it is such a great bag!