PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a family back pack?

Sangiovese
05-02-2006, 01:21 PM
We are going to WDW, and I need a backpack to carry everyone's junk - diapers and wipes (for one child), bottles of water, snacks, camera, sunscreen, etc. I would like to use it for any family outing (zoo, baseball game, etc.), and I need it to be "DH-friendly". Most of the time, it should be in/on the stroller, but I would imagine that we would need to carry it when we leave the stroller. Any suggestions? I was looking at the LE backpacks, in general, and the LE Diaper Pack and LE Beach Backpack (but I don't really like the looks of the Beach Backpack). It seems like it would be helpful to have multiple compartments, instead of one large compartment like most backpacks.

Thanks!

nfowife
05-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I just got a baby sherpa short haul for travelling and it is awesome. I love the cooler section on the bottom (you don't have to use it as a cooler, but it's handy to have). They make a larger size one that I think would be a good size. They are not cheap, but very well made and organized!

Sangiovese
05-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Those are a little pricey, but I will keep it on the radar screen. It looks interesting. Why did you go with the Short Haul vs. the regular Baby Sherpa? I'm trying to figure out the differences, and it looks like the Short Haul is only slightly smaller but the same otherwise? Thanks for your help!

nfowife
05-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah, from the info I could find (in online stores and by doing a search here) it seemed it was just a small amount shorter but for quite a bit less $$. And, I am not a heavy packer- so I figured that even when using it for travel it will be perfectly enough space for me and DD. I think it will work out well for our trip next month, especially since now she's eating tons of food and I need to bring it all with me in the cooler section. It just seems very well thought out and there is a place for everything! And will keep my hands free in the airport. I got mine secondhand (in very good condition, it's like new, I paid $50 shipped) on babybags, you might want to post an ISO over there and see if someone has one they will part with for a discount. And I wanted a chest clip to make it more secure when on and an integrated cooler- the other backpacks I looked at (lands end, osa, etc.) didn't seem to have those features.

Niki_n_Abby
05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
I have to second the Baby Sherpa Short Haul. It is awsome and well worth the money. I LOVE the cooler comparment and it is a lifesaver at Disney. Pack the mini water bottles and mini cokes in it as well as some snacks and you won't have to buy any drinks at the park. I made sure I packed our diapering supplies, change of clothes, sunscreen, camera and most important SMARTIES:) Smarties candies are a wonderful way to keep small children happy while waiting in line(I don't give my dd lots of candy normally but some occasions call for it LOL!) Also make sure you grab a hand towel from the hotel and put it in your bag every morning. It is great to have when they run through the pop up fountains and I also put it over my dd while she sat in her stroller and ate a frozen fruit popcicle or ice cream. It saved her clothes:)

Niki

jeminaal
05-03-2006, 07:10 PM
We have the bigger Baby Sherpa backpack and we LOVE it! I've never seen the Shorthaul IRL, but we use our Sherpa everytime we go to Disneyland or any other event where we'll be out all day. Both DH and I take turns wearing them (we're definitely not the same size) and we both find it very comfy to wear. Yes, it is a bit pricey, but to us, it's worth it. We used to have an Eagle Creek diaper backpack, but we found it very uncomfortable to wear. My DH can wear this all day w/o any problems. :)

We have an 2001 Peg Perego Pliko, so the storage basket is too small to put our Sherpa in it, but it hangs just fine from the handles. It should fit fine in a Graco/Kolcraft type storage basket, though.

My one and only complaint about the Sherpa (besides the price) is the mesh water bottle holder. Sometimes when I put the bag down on its side, the water bottle I put in it would slip out. Other than that, it's a perfect bag for our needs. HTH!

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

Momof3Labs
05-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I'd actually suggest a messenger bag instead for WDW. First of all, if you are going when it is hot, the backpack will just make you all sweaty. Second of all, you will have to remove the backpack every time you get on a ride. With a messenger bag, you can just push it to the side and buckle in.

I'd also suggest not carrying bottles of water, snacks and diapers on every ride - I'd leave those with the stroller in a separate bag, and only take valuables on rides with you. I like using two bags at WDW, like a Skip Hop and a LE Little Tripper.

The LE backpack is huge and would hold what you describe, but IMO would be a pain at WDW...

MamaKath
05-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Another vote for the Baby Sherpa as a great bag for all day outings with the whole family. I have the larger not the shorthaul and it is wonderful for stuff like Disney. I have tried a ton of other backpacks, and it seemed most things sunk to the bottom. I got the Sherpa as a last resort before ordering a true hiking backpack the would pack things on two levels to avoid this. I regret waiting so long to buy one!

Why do I love it and how do I use it-
I stock the bottom with water bottles and a few snacks and the top with all our other stuff. It is comfortable to wear on many body types (I am tall but heavy, dh is even taller, my mom is short, etc). I love that I can use the cooler for other stuff too, like wet towels for a day at the water park. It is lined/insulated but has a drainage hole at the bottom so it isn't a problem. When I pack the top I try (in most bags, not just this one) to seperate stuff out into Ziplocs or cosmetic bags. This way I can just grab what I need easily, sort through it, and put it bag without digging at all.

Definitely scope out Baby Bags. Many people either love this bag or hate it. I think for outings like an amusement park it is GREAT even if it isn't your everyday bag.

DAKnits
05-03-2006, 11:40 PM
I just got the Land's End Triple Compartment backpack for a vacation trip we're taking in 6 weeks. There will be many days when we'll be out all day at the beach or in New York City, and of course, I needed a big organized backpack for the airplane travel. I love the organization -- the three separate compartments are fabulous for dividing things. I would not call this bag huge at all, but I am a heavy packer. I really like that's it's lightweight and not bulky feeling. The light lining and the pockets are great for finding and organizing things.

Also, having grown up in Miami, I have gone to Disney more times that I can count. I would suggest you put your snacks and drinks that need refrigeration in a separate cooler, and keep the cooler in the stroller basket. IMO, it is way too hot to add all of that extra weight on your back -- you will be walking a lot, waiting in lines, and it is a long day. I would use the backpack for all of your other supplies -- stick one or two water bottles in the backpack and some dry snacks, and keep the bulk of whatever you need refrigerated separated in the cooler, and off of your back.

I would also bring a small bag you can wear messenger style (like the Swagg or Land's End Little Tripper) to keep your money, keys, ID, and bare essentials. (You could even wear a Fanny Pack -- I know this is not stylish, but it is very convenient!) This way, when you get on the rides, you can leave everything behind and just have your little bag on you. There are many rides where you will be sitting in a tight car or space, and the last thing you need is a big bag shoved in between all of you or on top of your lap. You won't need anything from your backpack while on the rides, and if you have the bare necessities in your little bag along with your valuables, you feel so much "lighter" and enjoy it more.

For my trip, I plan to wear to the airport -- the backpack with all the supplies, and the Swagg with my ID and money (since I'll be needing to access those items frequently throughout the airport). I think you'll want that convenience at Disney as well.

Good luck and have fun!

Sangiovese
05-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the great info!

We will be taking a Pliko (2001 also!), so I plan to hang the back pack on that. I like the idea of taking a smaller bag (I have a LE LT) for valuables, but I would like to put it in the backpack. Maybe I can find a smaller bag for that that I can where messenger style. Usually, DH carries money, phone, etc., so I just would need to keep track of the camera and maybe my phone. I'm just leaning towards a backpack so DH will carry it. I just can't see him wearing a messenger style bag - maybe someone has more insight on that? Also, with the Pliko, it would be easier to hang a back pack on the back for easy access vs. trying to get into it in the basket. It seems like the messenger bag would have to go into the basket. And I like the idea of a soft cooler for water - we have some of those. It will be January, but with a cooler, we wouldn't be lugging the water around in the backpack.

I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old (she will be 2 when we go to WDW in January). I would like to use it when we are out of the diaper/stroller years, so I wonder if a messenger style would be better for long term. And I am in Texas, so it does get hot (if we go to the zoo or spring festivals).

Are there messenger bags with backpack straps to hang on the strollers?

Any other insight is appreciated!

ribbit1019
05-04-2006, 12:22 PM
We took our LE backpack to WDW and Sea World, I would have to agree with Lori. Avoid it. We upgraded to a double stroller (rented there another thing I would avoid) just to accomodate the backpack since it was so hot and DH and I didn't want to have to carry it around.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 11 lb 14.5 oz 24" @ 6 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

jeminaal
05-04-2006, 10:32 PM
My DH is not a fan of messenger bags. Backpacks are more comfortable for him to wear, I guess. I agree that wearing a backpack in the summer can be a pain. It can get hot and my DH does get sweaty when we wears it but he doesn't seem to mind, though.

When we were vacationing at Disneyland last weekend, we took our backpack and had a soft cooler in our stroller for the drinks and snacks. We would carry a couple of water bottles and a couple of sandwich bag-sized snacks in the backpack, then refill as needed.

There are a lot of great small bags out there, and if you decide that you need a small compact purse you can wear messenger style or over the shoulder, take a look at Overland Equipment's "Placer" bag:

http://www.overlandequipment.com/everyday.php?name=everyday.htm

Our camera and my cell phone fits fine and is compact enough to fit in the backpack w/o taking up a lot of space. It's very organized and comfy to wear too. :)

Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide! :)

Jeanette

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

Sangiovese
05-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Cute bag! Thanks - I'll probably get a little bag. It would be nice to have now, just to keep my valuables on me when we are at the zoo (instead of keeping track of a bulky purse or the stroller with valuables). I like how they show those overland bags on real people.

I wonder if men may find the back pack more comfortable because of the whole higher center of gravity/stronger upper body than lower vs. women with a lower center of gravity (hips) and stronger lower body vs. upper.

Can someone suggest a good family messenger bag to check out? I am just not crazy about the flap on messenger bags - it just seems like difficult access. I would also prefer one with back pack type straps to hang it on the stroller.

I'll check out some in person and go from there (messenger vs. back pack), but I'll definitely get a little bag, either that one from overland or this one from travelsmith, which is a little bigger...

http://www.travelsmith.com/ts/cookie.jsp?ContentOID=47426&Category=%2fProductHierarchy%2fLuggage+and+Accesso ries%2f+Daypacks+and+Handbags&Category1=%2fProductHierarchy%2fLuggage+and+Access ories&source=subcategory.jsp

Thanks for all of the help!

Momof3Labs
05-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Any messenger bag will hang fine on the back of a Pliko - we have a P3 and I almost always have a messenger bag with me. You can probably find one without a flap, if that is bothering you. As far as DH-friendly bags, try Timbuk2.

jeminaal
05-07-2006, 09:44 PM
>Can someone suggest a good family messenger bag to check out?
>I am just not crazy about the flap on messenger bags - it just
>seems like difficult access. I would also prefer one with
>back pack type straps to hang it on the stroller.

I know that Overland Equipment has some messenger bags w/o flaps (the "SportClub" and the "Prosport"). They have pictures of them on their website. I don't have one, so I can't give you a review, but if they're anything like the two bags I do have (the Donner and Placer), they're very well made. I also second the "Timbuk2" suggestion. I think all their messenger bags have flaps, but it's a very good bag.

Jeanette

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day