PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Silver Line Convertible Backpack, my review!

DAKnits
05-04-2006, 09:28 PM
I just got my Silver Line Convertible backpack today, so I haven't had that much time to play with it, and haven't carried it yet, but this is what I think so far...

The material is sturdy and a soft,smooth canvas. It's not stiff, but not floppy. I'm very happy with the material. I would say this bag is large, but since I am a true overpacker, this could easily be an everyday bag. This bag will accomodate anything I want to shove in there during the day.

The bag comes with a lot of accessories.. There is a toy and food bag which in concept, I love. The cooler bag is very well insulated, but I am not carrying snacks that need refrigeration to justify using a separate bag. The toy bag is the exact same bag as the cooler, including the insulation. Since I only carry a few small toys in my diaper bag, and have a separate toy bag in my car for larger toys that I bring with me when I go to a restaurant, I don't need the accessory.

There is a very large changing pad with pockets and straps to attach it to a changing table. It even comes with a backpack drawstring pouch so you could put diapers, wipes and cream, and even your wallet, in the pockets and take it with you and go.

There is also a very flat wardrobe "station" that folds in half, has a clear waterproof zippered pocket on each side. I think I will use this for my daughter's swim lessons.

I plan to buy some pouches to put my toys and perhaps one for snacks -- if anyone knows of good ones, let me know. I guess I could get some make-up cases Target or Marshalls.

The interior has two open pockets that aren't really deep enough for diapers or wipes, but I put bibs and burp cloths in one and a milk container, disposable placemats and scissors to cut the milk open, in the other. I just got an IdaD case (similar to Diapees and Wipees) which I LOVE, to keep the diapers, wipes and cream in. It fits 2 size 6 diapers, a disposable changing pad, a hard wipes container, and diaper cream! I got one that has a strap so I can grab the IdaD case and go change my daughter without going into the bag. Inside the bag, I have the IdaD case, my long wallet, makeup bag, ziplock of toy cars and figurines, two dry snack containers, one empty bottle, and DD's hat and sweater.

Other features: there are two outside bottle pockets. I am not a fan of a flap over the opening of a bag, so I'll have to see how I'll feel about it once I'm using the bag. ***Edited to add: I don't mind this at all!***** There is a large open slip pocket in the front of the bag that you could easily use to put the diapers, wipes, changing pad and cream, but the IdaD Case is too bulky in there .. you'd have to put diapers on one side of the pocket, wipes case on the other, changing pad behind, to spread out the items. Whatever large (DD is already 32") FLAT changing pad I find, I will put a changing pad in this pocket (if anyone has a favorite, let me know). There is a long slim pocket on the underside of the messenger flap that I wil keep coupons in. There are two zippered pockets on the back of the bag but you wouldn't want to put anything too bulky in there b/c it would be against your back in backpack style.

Well, that's about all I can think of. If you have any questions, just email me! I've got three more bags coming to me (YIKES -- the LE's LT in green, the LL Bean Diaper Bag, and a Black/Pink Swagg), so I'll have to see what I like best and what I end up using for everyday. Edited to add: the LE LT turns out to be an everyday bag for me, as well as the Overland Donnor I just got. The Swagg is a quick trip bag, and the Silver Line could be an all day bag (but I am also using the LL Bean bag for that, and my LE TCB for an all day backpack style).

maurenemm
05-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I feel the same way about the accessory bags - that they're not going to be very useful.

After you get the other bags and have a chance to try them out, I'd be interested to see which you like best.

(I'm really torn as to whether to try my convertible for a few weeks or to try to sell NWT. Because I don't know that this bag will really work for me.)

MNmomtobe
05-05-2006, 11:14 AM
There are some cute pouches by Sugar Booger on the babystyle website.

DAKnits
05-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Update: I used it for a couple of hours today and it really worked well for me. When DD refused to wear her shoes while shopping at BabiesRus, I just placed them in there and they fit with plenty of room to spare. I picked up the mail on the way home (we live in a development and there are central locations for mailboxes), and was able to stick all the mail, including magazines, in the bag and it fit (and the shoes were still in there). This is definitey a big bag, and great for an overpacker like me. With my PBB BB, I can fit a lot of stuff, but I have to take everything out of the bag in order to get to something on the bottom. With this bag, I have a lot of unused room, but I can just move stuff around to get to things. And I can shove stuff in there when I need to without worrying about it fitting. For example, when I go into a restaurant, instead of bringing my whole toy bag, I like to shove my daughter's travel train set in the diaper bag and go ... this bag would fit it without question. With the PBB BB, the bag won't close.

Also, the backpack straps are infinitely more comfortable than the ones on my PPB BB with the same amount of stuff in there.

Are there a few things I would change? Yes ... but so far I have yet to find the perfect diaper bag. I get my LE LT on Monday, but that won't be my all day bag. I like to leave the house with my all day diaper bag b/c I never know what I'll decide to do after her Mommy and Me class, so I like to be prepared. I always think like this -- which is why I travel so heavy!

Thanks for the tips on the pouches! Ideally, I would love something more boxy, like the accessories that come with this bag, but thin, not padded or insulated. I have NO idea where I would look for something like that ... maybe the container store?