PDA

View Full Version : ADDED PICS: Got my LL Bean diaper bag! Review and have one question ...

DAKnits
05-05-2006, 11:05 PM
OK, I have bought WAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY too many bags in the last couple of weeks!

For me, this bag is a great medium sized bag -- a lot of people consider this to be a huge newborn bag, there's no way I could use it for a newborn since I am a heavy packer. For me, this would be a bag I would bring when I go to Mommy and Me Class or a playgroup that will last a few hours, and I know I'm not really not doing much else before coming home.

I absolutely love the organization of this bag, and it's very sturdy. I love the bright green lining to give it some interest. I am so used to having no room for my things, -- it's such a luxury to have the HUGE Momny pocket! I actually get a space in a bag especially for me that's BIG!

I have three main "criticisms" about the bag: (1) I would have preferred a thinner canvas material so it would be a little less bulky and a bit more pliable (I would like if it opened wider), (2) I would have loved an additional bottle pocket either inside or outside the bag b/c I really really need it!, and (3) the elastic pockets inside the bag are too narrow to fit anything useful inside of them -- they don't fit bottles, diapers, or wipes cases. My question for those who have this bag is: What can I use these pockets for?

In the main section, I packed my IdaD case with wipes case (with 2 size 6 diapers, and diaper cream), two cloth bibs and 1 burp cloth, two snack containers, one Lil' Milk container, a sunhat, and an empty bottle. There is a LARGE zippered pocket inside the bag that I put a bunch a lot of toys in, including Board books. For my 21 month old toddler, the toys are almost equally important as the snacks and bottles! In the small elastic pockets, I put DD's hairbrush, nail clippers, scissors, DD's sunglasses, but I would love to make better use of these pockets. On one side of the bag there is a nice deep bottle pocket for DD's sippy. On the other side, there is a short pocket that can fit a small digital camera, and a larger pocket that fits my cell.

The front Mommy pocket is awesome, big enough for my make up bag (I can finally bring make up with me), my long big wallet, my keys, and my coupons, with room to spare.

The back slip pocket has a tiny changing pad that's very small, but ironcially, it's a tight fit in there. I am going to put my own changing pad in it.

A few people asked me to compare the LL Bean to the Silver Line convertible -- the Silver Line is definitely the bag I would pack when I'm going out and I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the day b/c it can accomodate all of my "what ifs" ... Tomorrow I have a birthday party with my daugther at 10:00am and then a baby shower (she's going with me) at 12:00pm. I won't be home until 2:00pm and I'll need lots of distractions with me when I am at the baby shower, so the Silver Line is coming with me!

I also have a quick trip bag coming to me (yikes), that I would keep in the car and grab when I run into a store and just need the bare necessities -- one bottle, one sippy, one milk container, one snack container, one bib, one diaper w/ wipes and cream, and wallet and keys. This bag would be too big for what I want to use for my quick trip bag.

Hope this helps someone!

Rachel

**********I am trying to add pictures but having trouble ... email me if you want more photos. It won't let me upload the interior photos of the LL Bean bag! There are three photos that I attached that show all of the items that I put in the LL Bean diaper bag (everything is pictured except a sippy cup and cell phone, but they were in there). In the photo with the LE LT, the items on the table would not fit in the LT that were in the LL Bean. The LE LT was stuffed to the brim. EXCUSE THE PAD AROUND THE COFFEE TABLE -- WE ARE FULLY CHILD PROOFED!

DAKnits
05-06-2006, 04:47 PM
OK I have another question for LL Bean Diaper Bag owners ... Is the interior pocket in your bag kind of akward to zip closed? I find that it's very far down in the bag and it's kind of hard to get in there and close. Also, the pocket is very "poofy" -- it doesn't lie flat, and the actual zipper track can't be flattened out or pulled on both ends so that it doesn't bunch up -- it kind of puckers no matter how I try to pull it flat -- Ok, does that make sense??? Is it like this in every bag, or is there something wrong with mine.

THANKS!

nfowife
05-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Rachel, when you get your LE LT I'd love to see some pics of them side by side to get a good idea of the size and feature differences! Thanks!

DAKnits
05-06-2006, 07:56 PM
I would be happy to post pics side by side, exterior and interiors. :-). I think I am getting the LE LT on Monday or Tuesday!

MamaKath
05-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Rachel, that pocket on the inside can be difficult. I found it was best to keep wipes and diapers in there which tended to be flatter that toys. The bulk of the toys made it difficult to work the zipper. With flatter items it was smoother. I used the small elastic pockets on the inside for snacks (little boxes of raisins, gummy snacks, granola bars, etc), small toys (like cars and tiny figures), and tubes of stuff (diaper cream, hand cream, and germ-x). I also have found that in any bag, clear cosmetic cases are wonderful for things like toys (if you can't find these, you can sometimes find clear pencil cases that zip in the stationary/office supply places very cheap). Then they are contained but easy to move from bag to bag. Since this is something I tend to pull out often looking for entertainment (or if I use it for snacks) I would keep it in the center so I could easily reach it.
Enjoy the new bags!!! :-)

Margaret, this thread may help as it shows the LT and LLBean sbs. http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=18614&mode=full&page=6
This thread shows a size comparison next to the Duo and a LE Medium tote. http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=19344&mode=full&page=2
HTH~

DAKnits
05-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Kathy, thanks for answering that for me and for the great suggestions! I don't know why after 21 months, I still don't have the diaper bag thing down!

I an definitely going to use that big interior pocket for the diapering supplies! Great suggestion! On a regular basis, there won't be enough toys in there to fill that pocket. I am pretty sure my new IdaD case will fit in there, maybe I'll just have to lay it sideways. I want to try to keep the convenience of using the IdaD case rather than just placing the supplies in the bag b/c although I've only had the IdaD since Friday, already I've had to change my daughter twice while we were out, and I haven't had to do that for months -- it was such a great convenience!

I have also been searching for ways to organize my bag without having to completely reorganize when I switch bags, and your idea about getting pencil cases are great b/c I have been on the lookout for cheap cosmetic cases, and all the ones I find are too big or bulky for what I need. I am going to go to Office Depot tomorrow and see what I find.

Last night, I experimented a little with those small elastic pockets and found that I could also roll my bibs into tubes and stick each one in a pocket, and the same with my burp cloth. I am always looking for ways to keep as much out of the main section as I can b/c I tend to create the sink hole effect when I don't. but using the cosmetic/pencil cases will really do a lot to eliminate that in any case.

Thanks again!

MamaKath
05-07-2006, 10:48 PM
If you have a Walmart or a Dollar Store you can sometimes find smaller sized clear make-up cases. I really like using ones I can see into, but have been having a hard time finding inexpensive smaller (not bulky ones) also. Hopefully I'll get to Walmart this week to see, I know our CVS didn't have them today.

tg_canada
05-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Do you have a link to the "IdaD"? I am interested in seeing what it is. Also, did you get it to fit in the inside zipper pocket in the LLBean bag?

nfowife
05-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Ida's diaper cases are sold at bebecandy.com . There's also diapees and wipees (sold at preciouspersonalities.com), and bum bags by franz.

tg_canada
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM
>Ida's diaper cases are sold at bebecandy.com . There's also
>diapees and wipees (sold at preciouspersonalities.com), and
>bum bags by franz.

Thank-you!

DAKnits
05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I posted a response last night, but it's not showing up? Last night I got the LE LT and I thought it was super cute and durable. At first glance, I didn't think the LL Bean bag was significantly bigger enough to justify taking the LT for shorter trips, but today I realized that when I have more room, I fill it up! *****see below commenet!

I decided to bring the LL Bean bag today for Mommy and Me, and it was packed and heavy, and I didn't need 80% of the stuff. I would rather have had the LE LT! (or at least only the items I packed in the LT). I guess I am the point where I am sick of traveling heavy! The LT can fit a lot less, but it forces me to pack lightly. I would say that the LL Bean bag can pack what you would need for the day, unless it's a day out to the zoo or something like that where you would bring more food or toys.

One thing I noticed is that the LT strap hurts my shoulder b/c there's no shoulder pad. I'm going to look for one that's attached to a piece of luggage and use it for the LT.

I am not sure if I'll have enough time to take pics to compare them tonight, but I will definitely do it by tomorrow night!

Edited to add: I tried to pack my stuff for tomorrow's Mommy and Me class in the LT, and it was too tight a fit! So I just forced myself to ONLY put the items that I fit in the LT into the LL Bean bag, and there's lots of room to spare, but it's a lot less packed and it's easy to find things. Hmmmmmm, not sure how the LT is going to work for me at this stage. I'll have to post the pics tomorrow!

tg_canada
05-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Yes, please post pics if and when you have time! :)