PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Finalize My Diaper Bag Decision!

lwcain
05-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm expecting my first baby soon, and am diaper bag shopping. I am a minimalist and very organized. I want a stylish, durable bag that will hold newborn essentials and a clutch/wristlet for me. Color-wise, it would be a nice bonus to compliment my Peg Perego stroller in "toffee." I will also do some baby wearing. I have narrowed my choices down to the following, and would appreciate any advice/feedback:

1. Kate Spade Aubrey Baby Bag
2. Lexie Barnes Darling
3. Silver Line Fling

I'm ready to put this purchase to bed, and move on to other things. TIA for your help!

Bean606
05-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Just my 2 cents -- Of the three you listed, I only know the Kate Spade one, and although I fell in love with it when I saw it, I checked it out and realized that it is pretty heavy when it is empty with just the changing pad inside, so I can't imagine how heavy it would be with all of baby's stuff in it. I received a Coach diaper bag at my shower as a surprise, and although it is beautiful, and I intend to use it for nice occasions, I am concerned about weight as well with that one. I really like the Vera Bradley bag, because it is very light weight and can be put in the washing machine, although if you are a minimalist, you probably won't like the patterns.

nfowife
05-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I'd go with the fling or the skip hop dash (they are very similar in size , features, and style) in either black or if you want to be more daring ;) , go for red since there are red accents on the toffee P3. I think it's a great size (I used a dash as my newborn all-day bag) and functions well. And since both are around $50ish, you can get another nice bag a few months down the road when you are ready for a lighter/smaller bag or if you just want another style.

tmrbwilson1998
05-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Congratulations on the new baby! I have only had experience with the Darling and can speak very highly of it! I used it with a 2yo and infant, both in dipes (the younger was BF and not yet on food, so did not have to pack a ton for her). I am a medium packer, and this is what I liked:

- lightweight bag
- stroller hooks (though on my P3 they do not fit, it was easy to just loop the strap over the bars, and it is nice to have options if I use a different stroller)
- COMFORTABLE to wear! The pad on the strap is very comfy, especially for me - I tend to wear it messenger-style while chasing DS and wearing 20 lb DD! I have tried MANY bags but they either lack adequate padding or just do not have any!
- looks great stuffed to the gills or half-empty (lots of bags don't look right in the extremes, YKWIM?)
- extremeley pliable - love the laminate
- I could grow into it...very stuffable
- I enjoyed having fun prints to choose from rather than a single color - I tend to dress in black, white, and khaki, so my bag is my personality!
- exterior bottle/sippy/water bottle pockets are elastic mesh with drawstring tops - pretty much any bottle could fit in those things!

HTH a little!
Tina

lwcain
05-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks, ladies. It really does help to hear from others.

I still feel really torn. KWIM??? Yesterday, I visited a Kate Spade store and played with the Aubrey baby bag, along with 2 of her messenger bags. The small messenger was too small and lacked the organization that I seek in a diaper bag. The bigger messenger was too big for my body (I'm 5'7" and very thin - even at 7 months pregnant). The tote really suits me, and I don't think that I'm a messenger style girl in general.

Nevertheless, I like the following features on the Fling: stroller attachment, organization, price point, hands-free option if I'm baby wearing. Like I said, I'm not a total messenger person, but this bag still seems like a practical option for me.

I like the following features on the Kate Spade Aubrey: tote, stylish, organization, cushy changing pad, after-life after baby (work tote, travel carry-on, etc.).

I know that the baby, and others for that matter, aren't going to notice or care. I just want to get the most bang for my buck, and I would prefer not to accumulate a bunch of so-so bags, when I could put my dollars towards one great bag that has some longevity to it. I've made that mistake with regular purse purchases - never again. It's not worth it to me. God, if I had a pile of money for all of my "oops" purchases, I could really do some serious shopping, and treat some of my friends too!

Any additional thoughts? Thanks again so much.

nfowife
05-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Another option since you prefer a tote style and like something on the plainer side, how about the black ballistic fleurville sling tote (full size)? It is all black, not diaper bag-ish looking, has interior organization, mommy pocket, stroller attachment loops, optional detachable messenger strap as well. Also consider the black w/pink interior oioi hobo. That one is very classy looking-not at all like a diaper bag, and it is feather lightweight! Has exterior drink pockets, and a few interior pockets as well. Either of these might be a viable option for you!

lmwbasye
05-19-2006, 05:42 AM
I was going to suggest the sling tote as well....probably the perfect option for you....awesome organization, stylish, doesn't look like diaper bag and can be worn messanger style, tote style, or hook to the stroller.

LOVE this bag. BTW...I also have the Fling and Dash (I guess I'm not a minimalist, LOL!) and both are awesome bags. The Sling Tote just sounds more like what you're looking for.

Laura :)