PDA

View Full Version : Diaperbag too heavy-help!

cara1
05-19-2006, 12:04 PM
I can't stand lugging this thing around. Yet I know I really *need* everything in there!
It's a messenger style bag that I really love from BRU. But I have a change of clothes for DD and DS, plus diapers/wipes, plus wallet for me, tons of snacks, a bowl, 2 forks, 2 spoons, and some other junk.
I've tried taking two separate bags for each kid, but it's still a pain. My older 4 year old is potty trained, but has enough accidents that I'm not comfortable leaving a change of clothes in the car rather than in the bag. So, what can I do? The two of them go through all my snacks on a single mall outing, so I can't cut those out. I thought about a new kind of bag, but I don't think it's the weight of the empty bag that's the problem. Any ideas?

gatorsmom
05-19-2006, 10:35 PM
My diaperbag is heavy too. It can get pretty cumbersome. Is there any way that you can kill two bird with one stone? For example, I have 2 boys, 3yo and 10 months old. I don't pack much in the way of extra clothes because in a pinch the baby can wear his older brother's clothes until we get back to the car (where I have full sets of extra clothes, diapers, snacks, etc).

Also, I used to carry juice boxes in my diaper bag until one leaked, so now I keep those 4ounce Gerber juice bottles in my diaper bag. I usually carry a bottle of water with me in my stroller or car to dilute the juice with making it last longer. In a pinch, my toddler could drink it straight from the little bottle! You could also pack a separate bag of snacks and keep that in the basket of your stroller.

I do keep some toys in my diaper bag, but they are usually the ones you get in Happy Meals so that if the bag is too full or heavy I can throw the free toys away with out feeling too much guilt!

I carry one size diaper that I use for both boys. For the baby, I just have to "hike it up" a bit on him.

Try getting a backpack bag with soft shoulder straps. Then it won't be as painful carrying all that stuff with you!

See if you can find ways to cut down on the amounts of things you need, use samples sizes of various products when possible, keep stuff in your stroller if you can, and throw out the junk in your diaperbag that you haven't used in 3 months.

Does that help or was that just plain common sense?

dhano923
05-20-2006, 05:45 AM
I have a 2 1/2 yr old (still in diapers) and a 6 month old but I don't think my bag is heavy. I carry 2 bottles for DD (there are 2 outer pockets for the bottles), the formula dispenser, a sippy cup of juice or water for DS, 2-3 diapers for each child, the travel wipes box, a change of clothes for her, trial size baby powder and hand sanitizer, a roll of diaper disposal bags, and the changing pad. The outer pocket has my wallet, cell phone and keys. I only pack 2 snacks for my DS -- usually a granola bar and banana chips, crackers or sliced grapes. If for some reason he's still hungry after eating both snacks, I buy him something, like a soft pretzel or a cookie. I hardly ever have to do this though.

Are the bowls, forks, and spoons for the snacks? If so, I would get rid of those items and take finger food snacks -- sliced grapes, apple slices, banana chips, kid's granola bars, etc. Also, maybe feed them one snack before you leave the house so you don't have to take as many with you? and just pack enough for the one trip -- I know some people like to take the whole box of crackers or whatever with them so they don't have to keep refilling, but I think it takes up too much room.

In my car, I keep another diaper bag with extra diapers, extra wipes, an extra changing pad, an extra outfit for each child, a lightweight blanket (for either child to use), and an extra clean baby bottle. I've only had to come back to the car once for something (the blanket) because the air conditioning in Macy's was really cold and I wanted to cover DD up a little.

MamaKath
05-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Okay from the overpacking queen... ;-) :-)

I have found that often it is *my* stuff in the bag that makes it heavy, not the kids. For example- I used to carry a tiny VB wallet, really light. Now I carry a big wallet that can hold my checkbook, some pictures, some change, and has a string so I can sling it across my body to wear when I am out alone. It is heavy!!! I started carrying some thigns in a make-up pouch for me too, I realized yesterday how heavy that was. :-( My keys are another big culprit. I don't have my daily keys on one ring, and my other keys on another, I just have all my keys on a massive ring!

With the kids stuff someone suggested putting tiny stickies with a date on them. If I use them in a certain period, I could take the date off. Those with them still on come out of the bag.

Lastly, some bags just wear more comfortably then others. Try seeing some in the store, and trying them out a bit.

HTH~

DAKnits
05-21-2006, 12:26 AM
I am a true overpacker and have been since I was a teenager. I always had the biggest, heaviest purse, and I always have a "HEAVY" sticker stuck on my luggage when I travel -- it's huge orange neon sticker and I can always identify my luggage on the conveyor belt! It's seriously embarassing, and I must admit thatI have never met a heavier packer in my life.

Carrying around a heavy load is the norm for me. With that in mind, in my experience, the most comfortable bags for me are backpack style or convertible backpack (with messenger strap option), because the weight is on my back and not on my shoulders. I like a convertible style b/c it gives me the choice to sling it across my chest or on my shoulder if I don't feel like wearing it on my back (if I know I need to reach into it where I am going).

These are the ones I have that I find are comfortable, even while stuffed:

1. Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack: This can hold A LOT. You can fit all the stuff you mention, and more. It can be worn messenger or backpack. I always wear it backpack, and it doesn't feel too heavy. CONS: lack of internal organization and changing compartment is a bit bulky b/c the changing pad is very padded. And it says it has to be drycleaned, but honestly, I have spot cleaned and it's been fine, and others here have actually washed it (if you do a search, you'll find instructions). It's a bit pricey, but you can find some for sale on the yahoo BabyBags board.

2. Silver Line Convertible Backpack: Tons of room, you will fit even more in this bag than the Petunia backpack, and it can also be worn messenger or backpack. Cons: Lack of internal pockets. They give you a cooler bag and a toy bag to help organize, but they are too bulky. I have learned to use cosmetic cases to organize my things and they take up a lot less room. It's very comfortable even when packed full. When I have it packed, I have plenty of extra room -- it's almost too big for me to use everyday when I'm not on an all day outing (this coming from a true overpacker) but I am packing for one and with two kids, this bag would be a great size for me.

3. Land's End Triple Compartment Backpack: This can only be worn as a backpack. I love this and plan to either take this, or the Safeline Skyline backpack on an airplane trip. I just ordered the Safeline, so I don't know how I'll like it yet. Contrary to some reviews, for ME, it's not that big, and I could certainly fill it nicely for an all day outing for one kid. I think it would be great for two kids, especially while potty training. I like that it doesn't look huge, but holds a ton, and it's similar in size to the Silver Line (the Land's End is definitely taller). Lots of organization, light lining making it easy to find everything, very comfortable to wear, and great price!

3. Timi and Leslie backpack: Can only be worn as a backpack, but has very padded straps like the Land's End backpack, and holds a ton. I like that it looks so stylish and nice, but can really fit as much as a big, rugged backpack. You could fit everything for two kids in this bag. My only con is that it's a bit bulky b/c of the material, but not heavy -- just bulky. And the vinyl against your back through a T-Shirt can be hot to wear. The plus side of the vinyl is how easy it is to clean and wipe off spills. It has three large elastic pockets in the interior for bottles and sippys, and one zippered compartment for small items. There is a large, deep front mommy pouch that I put my keys, cell phone, wallet, sunglasses, camera, and make up case.

To give you an idea what I carry: I also keep extra supplies in the car (diapers, disposable place mats, wipes), but I have a difficult time not having anything with me "just in case" -- I don't keep an extra outfit with me yet (we're not potty training), but I always have to have a sweater and hat in the diaper bag -- I live in Miami and everyone cranks the A/C b/c of the unbearable heat. DD needs a hat even for the walk from the car into a store.

As far as supplies, I carry two snack containers, one bottle and a non-refrigerated milk carton (Lil' Milk), one sippy, and to go with that, two cloth bibs and one burp cloth for wiping DD. I also have small items for DD like brush, nail clippers, disposable place mats, and tiny scissors.

I always have a few toys (a thin soft cover book, sheets of paper, crayons, little toy cars). When I go into a restaurant, I grab my shopping cart cover for the high chair, and my DD's little travel train set which fits in all of the above mentioned diaper bags -- even when they're full -- except for the Petunia Pickle Bottom bag, which won't zip up, but will close with the velcro flap.

I also carry two size 6 diapers, one hard wipes case, and diaper cream. Sometimes I pack the diapering supplies in an IdaD case (like Diapees and Wipees, but larger).

For me, I always carry my long wallet with money, coupons, gift certificates, receipts, and checkbook,a make up case with a protein bar, extra pair of contacts, compact case, and chapstick, a digital camera, my keys with a little mini coach wristlet that has the main credit cards I use, plus some cash, my sunglasses, and cell phone.

I hope this helps you! I'm not the one to ask what you should take out of your bag, LOL!!!!!

cara1
05-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Hmm, okay. I don't think downsizing is gonna happen.
Suggestions for more backpack style bags?

tmrbwilson1998
05-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Silverline Convertible Backpack
Timi and Leslie backpack
PPB Boxy Backpack
Kecci Shanghai (though this may be a little too small for you - more of a medium-ish bag IMO)
Baby Sherpa backpack (no pretty factor in this one, but gets great reviews)
Posh Baby Ultimate convertible

If you would go for a messenger/shoulder style:
Lexie Barnes Superstar
Mothership
T&L large bebe (though I think this is more a medium-ish bag)
Silverline Fling (think this may be more of a medium bag, too)

Oi Oi also has several bags - hobo, messenger, backpack...I am not as familiar with them, but I know their messenger and hobo styles seem pretty roomy.

Also, check out Caden Lane bags and even Vera Bradley for larger bags!

HTH!
Tina

asmith130
05-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I have used almost every backpack out there I think! And for me it's definitely the way to go.

You can find several of these bags mentioned here for sale on the yahoo babybags group slightly used so you don't have to pay retail which is nice!

dhano923
05-21-2006, 07:20 PM
The bag I use when when I have both kids with me is an OiOi messenger. Lots of storage and easy to get to everything. I keep a Skip Hop Duo in the car with the extra stuff in it.