PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your FAVORITE Convertible Backpack!!

winterbaby
05-21-2006, 08:18 AM
I tried the bumble jessica bag and didn't like it. The posh baby ultimate looks good but I read the straps aren't the most comfy. What other convertible bag should I consider? Tell me about yours :)

oh and here's what I already have:
T&L backpack
Skip Hop denim Duo
clutterbag Lindi

thanks!!

Mommy2Anastasia
05-21-2006, 01:17 PM
I have both the Kecci Shanghai Mommy and the Origami that converts from messenger to Backpack, looks like the Mothership in style.

I really LOVE both bags but I can tell you what I have found to be different about the two.

The Kecci's Fabric seems to pull a lot to me and this really annoys me. Also when I first got my bag one of the clips for one of the backpack straps broke so it would not clip and I had to send it back to the company for them to send me a new one. I also wish that the back pocket would close when you are using the backpack straps.

The Origami actually has NONE of these problems at all. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the straps on the Origami they are seat belt material and have metal clips on the backpack straps to clip on. The clips are such better quality being metal. I also LOVE how the backpack straps clip on both ends so the back pocket can be closed when in backpack mode. The whole bag is the same brocade fabric of the Kecci but it is covered in a clear plastic like other bags and therefore does not pull and can be cleaned no problem, I always worry about my Kecci in the rain. The messenger strap is the smae fabric covered as the body of the bag but does not come off the bag you just tuck it neatly inside when you use it as a backpack.

Both have huge pockets and outside bottle ones as well as inside.

Anyway overall I think I like my Origami better but use my Kecci more for some reason, not sure why maybe I will change this now. LOL.

Those are the only 2 I can comment on, they are not in your list but figured I would anyway. HTH

Amy

winterbaby
05-21-2006, 02:08 PM
thanks!
I'm not familiar with Origami and haven't seen them on any sites that sell bags. do they have a website?

Mommy2Anastasia
05-21-2006, 08:37 PM
The Origami that I have you can no longer get any where apparently. They are a smaller Canadian company out of Vancouver so they don't have a website and they are lesser known in the US.

There is their Satchel on Ebay if you search for Origami diaper bag I think you would find it. It isn't the bag that I have though.

It's really too bad because my bag is just AMAZING when I bought it in Feb it was on some US stores sites but not sure if they just no longer make it.

Anyway sorry about that I didn't realize you could no longer get it until after I wrote my reply and decided to go looking for a link to add in.

Hope you find one you love!

Amy

DAKnits
05-21-2006, 11:37 PM
I have the Jessica Bumble, the Petunia Picklebottom Boxy Backpack, and the Silver Line Convertible. Since you already don't like the Jessica Bumble, here are my thoughts on the other two...

1. Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack: This is a beautiful bag, and it can hold a lot. The front compartment is a changing compartment with a VERY padded changing pad (for me this is a negative b/c I don't need one that thick, and it make the bag bulky). I always wear it backpack style, and even stuffed, it doesn't feel too heavy. The straps are not padded, but I've never really felt uncomfortable. Besides the changing compartment in front (which has two elastic pockets -- for wipes,and diapers), there is a zipped compartment inside, plus one bottle pocket. My chief ocmplaint is that it always seems like it's hard to get at stuff at the bottom of the bag. I use a lot of cosmetic cases to keep things organized, but somehow things end up stacked on top of eachother, so I find myself pulling things out to get at what I want. Also, it says it has to be drycleaned, but honestly, I have spot cleaned and it's been fine -- and others here have actually washed it (if you do a search, you'll find instructions). It's a bit pricey, but you can find some for sale on the yahoo BabyBags board.

2. Silver Line Convertible Backpack: Tons of room, you will fit even more in this bag than the Petunia backpack. There is a lack of internal pockets -- only two pockets without elastic, but they give you a cooler bag and a toy bag to help organize. Honestly, for me, they are too bulky to use b/c I don't take food that has to be kept in a cooler so an insulated cooler is more bulk than I need. The toy bag is also the same insulated bag as the cooler, which is totally too bulky for the small toys I keep in my bag. So, I use cosmetic cases to organize my things and they take up a lot less room. There are several pockets outside the bag, including a large slip pocket in the front for the changing pad. You can fit diapers and wipes in that pocket too, but I keep my changing supplies inside the bag. I like that it's very comfortable to wear, even when packed full. The straps are nice and padded. When I have it packed, I have plenty of extra room. I can throw purchases in there, and larger toys that I want to bring with me into a restaurant, which I like. I don't find that I have to take stuff out to get at anything b/c there is more room in the bag for things to be moved out of the way.

HTH!

winterbaby
05-23-2006, 08:22 AM
thanks so much for the great reviews!
I will look into the silver line. don't think I could handle a "dry clean only" bag :)

DAKnits
05-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Hi!

I am selling mine, if you are interested just email me: DAKnits @ aol . com (no spaces). This month alone, I bought FOUR other backpacks and three messenger style bags, and DH said the most expensive one has to go, and I can't blame him! We've only got one child!!!!!!!!!

hudsonam
05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Amy, I think you should keep that bag! You love it! LOL!

Has anyone outbid me on the satchel yet? I hope so. ;) Well, maybe I don't. LOL. I can't see ebay from work.

Anne Marie (from babybags)

MarieBunny
05-28-2006, 09:31 PM
I love the JuJuBe Packabe! It is the easiest bag to convert back and forth from shoulder bag to backpack. With my other bags I never bothered converting them, I used them as backpack only. FYI, JuJuBe came out with "sliders" for the Packabe which makes it much easier to use in backpack mode (the strap doesn't slide through when you take off one shoulder strap). Supposedly, all new bags come with them and JuJuBe will send you a pair for free if your bag doesn't have them. Sliders are a must! It made the Packabe my favorite bag ever!

I have also owned these convertibles:
Kecci Shanghai Mommybag
Fleurville Alpha 7
GR8X Satchel

winterbaby
05-29-2006, 08:57 AM
thanks! I'm glad you recommended the packabe....now if only they would come out with their new patterns already. I'm just not feeling any of the ones they have now.

secchick
05-29-2006, 01:39 PM
I am going to wait to pick up a Packabe. I understand that the Fall 2006 line will have built in stroller loops.

winterbaby
05-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Cool! and hopefully some patterns I'll love too :)