PDA

View Full Version : My babies are toddlers so what kind of bag?

chiqanita
05-22-2006, 01:13 PM
I've had a black Eddie Bauer diaper bag and the smaller bag which DH calls the "Recon Bag" for quick trips ever since our twins were born 20 months ago. I tossed the smaller bag recently because it had this 'funky' smell that wouldn't go away no matter how many times I washed it. I don't use the built in changing pad anymore and the larger bag just doesn't seem to fit our needs.

Now that I have toddlers I think I need something different and 'cuter'. We don't pack the usual 'baby stuff' but we do have to pack for two.

This is what I pack on Sundays when we usually spend the day out and about:
2 water bottles or tall sippies,
2 milk bottles or tall sippies (need to be cold),
4 diapers,
A thin blanket for changes (rcvng blanket usually)
a package of wipes,
tissue pack,
tall container of star snacks,
small bag of dried apples,
baggie of Cheerios or fish crackers,
2 bananas
2 hats
a couple of books
cell phone and other mommy items

What would you recommend? I love the Kipling bags but they don't have a pocket to keep things cool. I was considering this one:

http://www.kiplingluggage.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=288

I've looked at the Sherpas but I don't think I want a backpack...maybe.

Would appreciate ANY suggestions! TIA

chubbycheeks
05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Have you thought about a Fleurville Sling Tote? It only has one insulated compartment, but you can buy additional ones. Also, something like the Ju Ju Be Be All may work for you. I hear that they have great organization and I believe that they have a couple of insulated pockets.

chiqanita
05-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look at them right now.

MamaKath
05-22-2006, 08:08 PM
One thought on the keeping things cool. I have found that using a cooler type bag for these things in the bag works well. It catches any leaks which are usually what becomes that funky smell you can never get rid of.

A trick for the diapering and toys is an Escape Pod (real one or a wanna-be cosmetic case). These are great, especially the see through ones (Walmart has these) to be able to grab just those items. You can use them to organize the non food items in a bag, then just grab that out when you need things from it.

As for bags-
*Maybe the Ellington In-Flight Tote? www.Ebags.com carries them. It has lots of external pockets to keep sippies and snacks in easy reach.
*There are a couple larger Vera Bradley totes that would work well with lots of interior pockets (maybe the Vera?).
*The Lands End Large Tailored Tote would definitely carry all of that.
*Maybe the Kecci Shanghai Mommy bag? Lots of pockets, sleeves for sippies, etc.
*SkipHop Duo? You could use the front pockets for sippies.
*Since you carry alot of food items I would look at the Baby Sherpa and Sherpa Shorthaul too. Not as chic but really practical. And the only bag I trust the cooler compartment in!!!! It even has a drainage hole in case something does spill. www.ebags.com has great pics of these too.

Isn't it funny how the older they get, the bigger the bag gets. ;-) We even have done a small mommy bag and each of the kids with their own small bag or backpack to carry. I still ended up with them all at some point.

GL~ :-)