PDA

View Full Version : Another carry on question

elvishlucky
05-24-2006, 11:18 AM
We're flying to FL next month and I'm desperately trying to choose a carry on diaper bag for my 1 year old. I'd like something large, as I'd like to pack as much of his clothes and gear as possible in case our luggage is lost.

I *think* a Fleurville Mothership, Timi & Leslie Large BeBe, or Lexie Barnes Mothership would do the trick. Any pros and cons for those bags? How do they compare and which would you recommend?

Is there anything else that would fit the bill? (And perhaps be a little less expensive? :) )

Any advice you ladies can offer would be wonderful! Thanks!

hudsonam
05-24-2006, 12:26 PM
I have an Eagle Creek Parent Survival Pack that works well as a carry on bag, and it was only $30 on sale. I got it at www.campmor.com. Not sure if they still carry them though.

hudsonam
05-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry, double post!

maurenemm
05-24-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't have any experience with those bags. But, I recommend the LandsEnd Do-it-all for travel. It is large and inexpensive.

tobycat
05-24-2006, 01:59 PM
How long of a flight? Layovers?

I would not worry about packing ALL his stuff. If your luggage is lost, you are not going to remote area and can replace stuff if necessary. Trust me, you will be busy enough with a one year old that you don't need the extra hassle of a ginormous carryon bag. Plus, if your bag is too big (some airlines are really enforcing this), you will have to check it.

I have flown with a one year old and used either a Tumi Beauty Satchel (opens really wide, easy to find stuff) or a Lexie Barnes Darling. Both were more than adequate space wise. THe Darling has the advantage of sippy/bottle pockets on the outside.

Candice

elvishlucky
05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Flight is about 6 hours total with a 2 hr layover included in that time.

I checked on the requirements for carry ons and it has to be

Less than 40 lbs
Less than 45" when you add length, width and height
Fit into a 20" x 14" x 9" space

Will the bags mentioned work?

Thanks for the responses so far...

audball
05-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Not glamorous, but the LE backpack did the trick for us. 2.5 hour flight with a layover that extended an extra 1.5 hours - thankfully, we packed extra dipes and wipes. But PP is right - the airport or whereever you are traveling should have supplies you can buy.

It was comfortable, cheap(er), and could hold quite a bit for the $. I like it so much I am considering purchasing a second for DH to carry (we carried one LE backpack and a T2 messenger for this trip). We will have an 11 hour trip with at least one 2 hour layover. I checked out the dadgear backpack, the Sherpa, the Eddie Bauer backpack and a few other backpack styles and this one was a great value.

ETA: We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, so we need to be hands free. If you don't need that, there are lots of other options out there, but we found the backpack worked great for stuffing under the seats. That may be an issue for a mothership!

chubbycheeks
05-24-2006, 03:28 PM
I have none of this bags, but the only thing that I have heard others mention is that they may get scratched with the vinyl coatings. Not sure if that is a concern for you.

I did a plane trip with two and used the Skip Hop Dash. Another option may be a Timbuk2 messenger bag.. no internal organization but real durable and they usually have them on sale at REI or Sierra Trading Post if you aren't too picky about colors. I think next time we travel, I will go the T2 route, as I actually wished my Dash was a little more open inside and did not have so many pockets (love it for daily use, but travel was a bit different).

Oh, there is the new Skip Hop Duo Double as well! That bag looks neat, and BIG!

writeleigh
05-26-2006, 04:05 PM
My all-time favorite travel bag is the CHelsey Henry Weekender, which they have at Overstock right now. I did a review with pics of it fully oaded a long time ago, but here is the link to it if you want to see pics of it packed.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=23982&mesg_id=23982&listing_type=search

Bag at overstock:

http://www.overstock.com/sm-chelsey-henry-weekender-diaper-bag--pg-proframe_pi-1623551_ti-82124.html

gcampbell72
05-26-2006, 04:19 PM
How about a Timbuk2 medium messenger bag? PLENTY of room and very easy to carry..and, most importantly for me, I can leave the flap open, slide it under the seat in front of me and very easily see and access all of our stuff.

Cathy

winterbaby
05-26-2006, 08:37 PM
WOW...that chelsey henry bag is GORGEOUS!! what great photos too :)

nupe
05-26-2006, 11:08 PM
I =just= got the Weekender for travel, based on your recs/pics. Thanks.

I got it from overstock, and it arrived the day before I left for my trip. It came without the changing pad. I used a different changing pad for my trip. Overstock has found a changing pad for me and it is apprently on its way. This the most I have ever spent for a diaper bag and I was somewhat disappointed that it arrived without the pad!

Nupe

DAKnits
05-28-2006, 01:39 AM
I'm deciding between the Land's End Triple Compartment Backpack and the Baby Sherpa Backpack (which I just ordered so I can't comment). I LOVE the Land's End TCB! I am just looking to see which will hold more for me -- as an overpacker and the mom of a very short attention span 22 month old, I've got to have a LOT of toys!

writeleigh
05-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Did it work well for your trip in general? Size, etc.?

nupe
06-01-2006, 12:18 PM
It worked very well for my trip overall. I got the black one from overstock b/c they were out of the brown.

It was great for the plane--I had 2 board books and a hand puppet in addition to the usual (diapers, changing pad from little tripper, wipes in ziplock. kleenex, lotions, purell, snacks, sippy). I also had my rather large (but not full) handbag inside the weekender, with my things in it--the handbag is Un Apres Midi de chien--so it is collapsible, unlike a rigid leather bag. That way I would have my purse for going to dinner without the diaper bag. Note that our flight was only about 2 hrs, not an all day connecting marathon.

It was great for museums/zoo/out about town as well. At first I thought I would like it to be a bit bigger (say for a blanket or heavy coat) but then it would be way too heavy.

In fact I got compliments on my bag from some of my 30ish male single friends in the big city. They were so surprised when i told them they were complimenting a diaper bag!

I would improve on it by adding a shoulder piece to the shoulder strap (oblong shaped with a little cushioning).

PS Still waiting for my CH changing pad from overstock. Any other questions?

Nupe

nupe
07-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Just wanted to update that I did receive the matching changing pad from overstock a few weeks later from overstock. It matches the interior nicely, but it seems to be a bit thicker than I would like for travel and actually prefer the nonmatching one from LE little tripper.

Nupe

carolines mommy
07-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I'd go with a backpack for hands free convenience. I've found the convertible messenger/backpacks don't do it for me though so I'm deciding between the Lands End backpack and the Urban backpack from One Step Ahead. I want all black and LE only offers colors. I have a DIA bag which is plenty big for what you need on a flight. I had a mothership, but was afraid of tearing the vinyl by putting it under the seat in front of me. I only traveled with that one once.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05