PDA

View Full Version : VB Carry All vs. Dash

sophiesmom
05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used both. I just bought a Carry All and packed it. I'm planning on having a small bag for quick trips w/ just the baby, or the baby and my 3 year old (will be potty trained soon!). Also plan on getting the VB baby bag for when i have all 3 kids. Even though not too much organization (i plan on using some smaller bags inside, i think it could hold lots of extras, like jackets, or coloring books and stuff if needed.

I like what the Carry All will hold, but still pondering the Chocolate Dash. I bought a waterproof pad and have that in the back zipper. The side pockets will hold sippys, there are 4 inner pockets, i have diapers in one (only holds about 3 size 1s), wipes in another, nursing shawl in one, and burp pads in the other. In the center I have changes of clothes and still have room for a bit more. It also has 2 front pockets under the flap and a key clip. The pockets arent as big as the dash, but I don't plan on putting a lot of my stuff in the bag (if i stick my wallet in from time to time i end up forgetting to put back in my purse). The adjustable strap hangs great on the stroller w/out removing handles, and packed it's nice and light...

I guess what I'm thinking of regarding Dash... bigger front pockets, would that be better for wipes for easy access? the divider pocket, and the zipped pocket.

I think i'm losing my mind! I had decided on the Carry All.. then was checking out the Dash today at a store.. arghhh!!!

I had also considered a clutterbag messenger, but a bit concerned about it being dry clean.

Any thought would be helpful!
Thanks!

chubbycheeks
05-26-2006, 03:01 PM
I've had both. And while I love VB and did really like the Carry All, I found that I could pack up quite a bit more in the Dash. I mean, all that I had in the Dash fit in the VB, but it was snug, and I like room in my bags as I always seem to come home with more than I left with and like a little wiggle room. I think that they are different enough to justify them both, if you can. The things that I didn't like about the VB were the back pocket (I found it hard to fit a changing cloth in there) and the front pockets (they were too small to fit much of anything that I had planned on putting in there). But that being said, I am now considering buying the Carry All again, as it was a great little bag, just not big enough for what I needed at the time. HTH a little.

sophiesmom
05-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks that was very helpful. I really like the Carry All, but you made a lot of good points. I thought I had heard that the style was retiring though, so I wonder if I should keep it?

I bought a Carter's waterproof bassinet/ changing table pad, and it folds up and fits great in the zipper, just in case you'll need a pad. :-)

hudsonam
05-26-2006, 04:12 PM
I have both. I don't know if I could pick one over the other. They are different styles, so it's hard to compare them. I would keep the Carry All since they are retiring them. I use that when I don't want to deal with the velcro on the Dash, like in church because it's so noisy. The Dash definitely has better organization, and I think it holds a little more than the Carry All, but the Carry All can definitley be stuffed more. If I stuff the Dash, I can't close the flap.

I don't think that was helpful at all. LOL! Sorry!

sophiesmom
05-26-2006, 04:29 PM
no it was! thank you!

i just played around with a dash knockoff that i got at target a while ago (just like the dash, but i'm not crazy about the style of front and the side pockets won't fit my kid's sippies which is a requirement!) i did have some additional space, and would probably like the extra space of the bigger pockets of the dash and the zippered pocket, and the larget open back pocket for the pad.

then i repacked the carry all... DD's diapers are only size 1 and they are a tight squeeze in the pockets, so i put other things in the pockets and the dipes in the center. maybe a diapees and wipees type thing would help keep them together??

i really hate to spend the money on 2 smaller bag, when I still want a bigger one for when i have all 3 kids! but i really like the VB and the Dash.

i'm driving myself crazy again!

hudsonam
05-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Yea, I can't fit diapers in the interior pockets of the Carry All, unfortunately. But it's never really been a problem.

Which fabric did you get? :)

sophiesmom
05-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I got the Java Blue. I have the Miller Bag in Seaport Navy for myself. The Java Blue is a little more 'wilder' for me! ha ha. It's pretty though, I think I can use it for summer and winter due to the bright blue and the brown. Seems to be the hot color.

What color do you have?

I want the Baby Bag too for the 3 kids, and was thinking of the JB again. Thinking of that again because I'd eventually like to get a backpack too (i think at this point w/ 3 kids having the backapck as a purse would work well for me), so figured if I got a JB backpack, would match each bag.

Now to figure out where to get all the money.. ha ha! I've tried ebay but the java blue and some other colors are going for almost retail. I did lose some carry alls in other colors (like sherbet) for good deals, one went for $56.

chubbycheeks
05-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Oh I love the Java Blue! I had the Carry All in the Bermuda Blue. One thing to think about, when VB retires a fabric/style they usually allow their retailers to offer them at a discount, I think 20% if I'm not mistaken. If you sell the Carry All now, you could try and pick one up as they are retiring if you happen to have an IRL store near you with a good selection! I am lucky to have a gift shop in the nect town over that carries the full line.. very bad for my wallet.. hee hee..

I have had the backpack as well, and really like it, although it was IMO much too small to use as a diaper bag. But really cute none the less!

hudsonam
05-26-2006, 08:00 PM
I have the Carry All in Classic Black. All my bags (three of them) are in the same color because it's one of the few I can actually get a deal on. Like you said, ebay is no good for deals on any of the new colors. I'm jealous though. I love the Java Blue. I'd keep it, but that's me. :) I love my Carry All. I really have nothing bad to say about it. It's awesome over stroller handles too.

I hear you on the money. I am ready to buy another bag, and I just got a Ju-Ju-Be Be Small not too long ago. I only have 4 bags... that's not a lot, right? ;-)

sophiesmom
05-29-2006, 09:19 AM
LOL, no 4 bags isn't a lot! I have a stroller collection that is ridiculous! My husband thinks I'm nuts.

I think I'm going to keep the Carry All, use it for a while, and if it doesn't work will probably keep it and try the Dash. I 'technically' only paid $34 for it since I used a mall GC from my bday. I like the lighter summery colors like sherbet and citrus though, but I can't really afford to get different bags for the seasons, and can't see using sherbet in the winter! We had a yard sale at the beach this weekend and I was hoping to fund the baby bag, but I only made about $20!

I don't know why but I'm in this big VB craze, I want a bunch of things.!

Thanks all!