PDA

View Full Version : What's the ***smallest*** diaper bag you use for every day?

DAKnits
05-27-2006, 07:44 PM
As a true overpacker, I am currently doing my best to eliminate things from my diaper bag and use smaller and smaller bags. I was wondering what is the smallest bag you are able to use (or get away with using) for every day. This doesn't include the days when you are going on an all day outing like the zoo.

I've been doing searches of old posts, and the below bags seem to be the most popular for a small every day bag. If you're using something else, please let me know, and if you can, list what you carry in your bag! Of course, pictures are welcome!

This is the first time in my life I am really making an effort to carry less so your pearls of wisdom are really appreciated!

jeminaal
05-27-2006, 08:13 PM
This is what I use for every day:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009HLSF0/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/102-3767982-0587326?v=glance&s=baby

Not a popular bag on the BBB, but I love it! It's great for every day use and you certainly can't beat the price. It fits inside a Maclaren stroller basket perfectly (we have a Mac 2005 TT).

Oops...I forgot to add what I have in it:

2-3 Size 3T-4T Pullups
Huggies Diaper Wipes case
small changing pad (haven't had to use this in a while though since we're toilet training my DS)
Snacks (i.e., Goldfish, Teddy Grahams in small sandwich bags)
Applesauce cup, toddler spoon
2 Junior Epipens, small bottle of Benedryl, teaspoon
Bumkins bib, a couple of plastic Table Toppers
Water bottle (usually one even though I can put one on each side of the bag)
Wet ones anti-bacterial wipes

I still have enough room in the bag for other things, but the above is usually what I have in the bag on a regular basis.

HTH!

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

hudsonam
05-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I voted "Other." I am going to be getting a Swagg, which I heard holds more than one would think, but right now I have a Be Small and I love it. I just got it and have used it a few times. I have put in it:

wipes case
two size 4 diapers
sippy cup
tissues
travel diaper cream
travel hand sanitizer
baggie of cheerios and crackers
wristlet
cell phone
keys
two toy cars

And you could definitely fit some more odds and ends in there. If you need a change of clothes, it may fit if you don't put any more than what I've listed, but you could always just keep a bigger bag with extra supplies in your car if that's feasible. If you're a major overpacker, you may need to gradually go down to the size of a Be Small though. LOL! It's not as small as you might think, but it's pretty small.

elliput
05-28-2006, 06:39 AM
I use the Lands' End Medium Tailored Tote. It comes up occaisionally for sale on their overstock site. It comes with a wet bag and changing pad. I pack 2-3 diapers, a travel wipes case, sippy cup, snack trap, receiving blanket, my small wallet, and odds n ends. The bag also has an outside cell phone pocket.

I will also throw a dipe & wipe holder in my Un Apres Midi de Chien Pixie if I am just heading out for a quick trip. I can also get a sippy and snack trap in it if necessary.

nfowife
05-28-2006, 08:17 AM
I mostly use my fleurville mini tote as my everyday bag right now. I also have a swagg, which is great, but that actually holds *more* than the mini tote, so I consider the mini tote to be the smallest bag I use for everyday! Plus I like that it's a print so it goes with more of my clothing. I really would like to get one of the new print swaggs but they are just too $$ for the size right now. I might spring for one soon though!

audball
05-28-2006, 09:31 AM
The Chester backpack and LB Darling is in my category for medium sized bag. But this is what I use for quick trips (I pack stuff similar to Jeanette):

Timbuk2 Mini Metro
Lexie Barnes Mezzo Tote
Overland Equipment Luna (smaller sling pack)
Loom Bandicoot

winterbaby
05-28-2006, 12:22 PM
I use my Clutterbag (Lindi style) for most days.

samantha546
05-28-2006, 05:01 PM
It's not a diaper bag but I've been using my Coach shoulder tote for everyday use. It holds my large wallet, small pouch, business card case, cell phone, sunglasses case (which is huge!), 2-3 7th Gen diapers, fleurville wipes case, 2 Red Hens diaper mat,, leggings, onesie, dress, misc toys, jar of food, spoon, more toys. And it's really not a big bag!

But otherwise we use our sling tote which can carry more and it's so comfortable and not *that* big.

chubbycheeks
05-28-2006, 06:26 PM
I voted for the Darling. Its what I use for my 13 MO breastfeed baby and 3 YO (potty learned). I carry two diapers, Fleurville wipes case, recieving blanket, Vera bradley wristlet, VB small cosmetic case with first aid kind of things, checkbook, small toy, wet bag for dirties, two sippys and two small snack constainers, and my water bottle. I really think that I can go smaller still.. I am thinking of the Swagg, Loom Bandicoot or maybe the VB Betsy or Tie Tote. We usually aren't out for more than a couple of hours at the most, and I keep my van stocked with extras.

DAKnits
05-28-2006, 10:38 PM
This is so helpful! Keep the votes coming!

I have tried to "downsize" to the Chester Backpack and the Land's End Little Tripper, but with the LE LT it's been a tight sqeeze, and the Chester doesn't accomodate the little toy train set DD always wants to carry into restaurants (which is only a problem when I am not taking my stroller with me -- I never take it into a restaurant anymore).

As it is, when I go to lunch (which we do about 3 times a week, I carry in a high chair cover, plus my diaper bag, plus I carry DD across the parking lot, so I love the option of stuffing that train set into my bag). My LL Bean diaper bag fits it beautifully, but it's a lot of bag to have on a daily basis when I'm trying to go small. And since I'm trying to travel lighter, I don't want to bring a bigger bag just in the event we go to to lunch :-(.

In the Chester, everything fits, but it's all jumbled, and there's only a drop more room to add something that I pick up during the day (like a leftover snack or a board book DD decides she wants to take with us that is usually kept in the car). Also, ideally I like to have room to put her little sweater in the bag when we go into restaurants b/c they really crank air conditioning in Miami (you HAVE to with how humid and hot it is). There's more room to add something in there, though than in the LE LT. In the LE LT, it all fits, but there's NO wiggle room -- I dislike how stiff the bag is when packed. And it's also quite stuffed.

This is what I pack for every day (there are more supplies in the car should I need them):

Diapering:
1 size 6 diaper
one travel wipes case
small diaper cream
thin changing pad

Food:
one snack container
one Lil' Milk
one bottle
one sippy
one cloth bib
one burp cloth
a few disposable placemats

Miscellaneous:
thin make up case of small toys (travel play doughs -- the BEST, crayons, toy cars)
DD's sunglasses (a must have right now)
baseball cap (need this to go from car to store in BRIGHT Miami sun)
tiny items in a pouch (nail clippers, hair brush, tiny scissor to cut her Milk carton open, extra ponytail holders b/c she's always losing hers)
ultra thin wet bag

For me:
small make up bag for me
Compact
wristlet (inside I have a tiny coach mini wrislet with my most used credit cards, extra contacts and a chapstick)
keys
sunglasses
tiny pouch of coupons/gift cards
digital camera (never want to miss a good picture)
cell phone

What can I realistically cut out? I don't even carry medicines for DD?

When I put things in the Swagg, I have to leave out: the toy bag (I just put 3 little playdoughs in a zippered pocket), the baseball cap, the burp cloth, I put wipes in a ziplock instead of bringing the travel packet, I leave out my make-up bag, my pouch of coupons/gift cards, and have no room for my sunglasses or keys. Ughhhh! Why couldn't they have added another inch or two to the front comparment!?!?!

BTW, this list of things is my BASICS -- I have actually cut down from what I used to bring! lol

miki
05-28-2006, 10:59 PM
I just started using the Overland Equipment Donner bag: http://www.ebags.com/overland_equipment/donner/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=19375

It can be worn over the shoulder or messenger style. This is my new every day bag to replace a Skip Hop Duo. My new bag is so light when packed that I don't care if it can't easily hang from a stroller. I've been carrying:
SIGG kids water bottle
big wad of tissues
cell phone
small digicam
wipes case
2 diapers
2-3 snacks (one tupperware type container plus bags)
juice-box type container of milk
ziploc bag full of little toys
sunglasses
wallet
pen, small pad of paper
antibacterial solution for hands
stick of sunblock, a few packs of sunscreen wipes
lipgloss, lip balm

DAKnits
05-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Do you think the Overland bag is bigger than the Swagg? This looks promising! Anyone have comparison pics of the two bags???

BTW, thanks to all your inspiration, I just removed two of the pouches from my bag -- I removed my tiny "make up bag" and put the small items in my wristlet, removed the little pouch with the nail clippers and brush, and fit them in pockets and other pouches in the LE LT. Plus I took out some toys and put the must have's in a ziplock, and also put my wipes in a ziplock, and now there's more wiggle room in the LT. It's still a stiff bag (I don't like floppy, but I don't like that I can't stuff it, either), but it saved me some room! I was trying to keep everything in organizers so that when I switch bags, all I have to do is take out the pouches, but that idea isn't working for me.

jeminaal
05-29-2006, 12:43 AM
I second this recommendation! It's a great purse. The strap is long enough to hang on a 2005 Maclaren TT (a pleasant surprise for me).

I haven't worn it as a diaper bag in a while because it was a pain to transfer some of the kids' items to a diaper bag everytime I dropped my children off at daycare before heading to work. It's easier to have a separate diaper bag at this point.

I still use it on occasion for quick trips to the mall or grocery store. I'll usually stick my wallet, cellphone, keys, wipes case, a pullup, a bag of snacks, Epipens, a Benedryl bottle and a waterbottle in the bag and I'm good to go with extra room to spare. The Donner can hold quite a bit of things.

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

nfowife
05-29-2006, 09:16 AM
The donner is similar to, but smaller than the LE LT. If that's too small/stuffed for you, IMO, the donner isn't a good option.

pusakat
05-29-2006, 01:02 PM
I vote other...the smallest diaper bag I used was the PPB toddler tote...

KAK22
05-29-2006, 08:53 PM
We have a tiny diaper bag I found at Burlington for $5. It also has a place for all my wallet stuff. I only use this during the summer when I'm not teaching.

We just keep a gallon size ziploc bag in each car with 2-3 diapers and some wipes. For quick trips to the store we don't take anything with us because we know the ziploc bag is in the car.

DAKnits
05-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I thought the Overland Donner might be a bigger bag than the Swagg is for my "run-in-quick" bag -- not to use as my everyday bag b/c I don't see how I can get around needing the hat, sunglasses, and coupons/gift cards when shopping.

After taking out some pouches and cutting down what I bring in my current diaper bag, today I bought my Little Tripper to see how it would handle the load, and it fit everything fine, although I still don't like the way it opens up -- I find it hard to peer in there and see everything. Also, it wasn't comfy to wear. I wear it messenger style, and the bag keeps swinging towards the front of my body and won't stay on the side of me, or towards the back of me, where I prefer it. Not sure if it's just me or my body, or the way the bag is designed.

If anyone knows if the Donner fits more than the Swagg (as a quick trip bag), maybe I could use that one as my "quick trip" bag instead of the Swagg, which just needs a bit more room to make it really do-able.

pb&j
05-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Probably not what you're looking for, but I voted "other" for my Ziploc gallon freezer bag. I keep a freezer bag with a few diapers, a disposable changing pad, a travel pack of wipes, and a burp cloth in my trunk. I can either toss it in my big purse, or the stroller basket and we're good to go.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

DAKnits
05-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Ry -- LOL! I can't imagine going out with only enough stuff that fits in a ziplock! The swagg was the smallest bag I've ever went out with, and it couldn't fit a few things I wanted it to -- but I made do. I am hoping to one day be able to carry around a bag that's only a little bit bigger than a Swagg for everyday... a girl can dream!

MamaKath
05-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Okay, I voted other, and decided it might be helpful to list the smaller bags that have worked for me.

*LE LT (older version)
*LE Small Tailored Tote
*Vera Bradley Barrel Bag- not sure of the name, I would have to look.
*VB cinch backpack
*JJ Cole Essentials Sling bag- this really worked well, and was very organized. Here are photos:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/SlideshowEnd.jsp?&collid_list=70249599706.20672683806.1149038140645:&img_size=5&trans_delay=3000&trans_enabled=true&conn_speed=1&mode=fromshare&collid=70249599706.20672683806.1149038140645&

If I think of any others I'll post.
Hth~

mom22boys
05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Kath--the link didn't work :(

Carrie

DAKnits
05-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Kath, thanks for the suggestions!

I used my LE LT today (new version), but I'm having issues with one of the bottle pockets and may have to return it. It does hold what I need, and there's some room to stuff a few more things, but it just doesn't feel great to use, IMO. It's not the style, I just dislike how stiff and unpliable it is -- I find it really hard to really open the bag up and peer inside and see everything, particularly when there are bottles on both ends.

I looked on the LE website and saw that they're having a sale on the medium tailored tote. It doesn't have bottle pockets, and I would prefer to have them if possible. Not sure if the small tote is designed differently. Also, I am not generally a tote person -- I NEED my hands with my DD. She isn't the kind of kid who will stay by me while walking, and I always need my hands free.

I have no knowledge or experience with VB bags, but they must be great b/c everyone has one! Again, not being a tote person, I never really considered them, but I didn't know there was a backpack ;-)

I had the JJ bag and sold it b/c it was just too small for my personal needs -- the little pockets on the front of the strap were useless for me, and I was always leaving one of the pockets opened and when I would sling the bag on,I would inevitably lose my mini wristlet with my cash and credit cards. I am so absent minded sometimes. Twice a good samaritan returned it to me when they saw me drop it in the parking lot!

Thanks for your help, as always!

MamaKath
05-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Yikes! Sorry bout that. :-) Try this one...
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=w9ssq1m.9hvzcwu&Uy=r3rkwt&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=1
If that doesn't work this post has a link to the old ofoto link which should send you over.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=20070&mode=full

HTH~

mom22boys
05-31-2006, 09:49 PM
thanks! That worked...that bag looks so cool!