PDA

View Full Version : Recs on lightweight messenger bag?

mtortilla
05-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Would anyone like to share their recommendations on messenger style diaper bags? I recently ordered a Silver Line Fling, but, like many other posters, found out that the bags are terribly backordered. I've checked out the Lexie Barnes Superstar, Ju Ju Be Messenger, and the Skip Hop Dash, and each has its plusses and minuses. My wish list of features:
+ Messenger style (hands-free)
+ Lightweight (my back hasn't been the same since DS was born)
+ Clean, modern, gender neutral styling (otherwise DH will not carry it, and we wouldn't want that, now would we?)
+ Lots of pockets for snacks, diapers, sippy cups, plus my things (wallet, cell, keys). DS has a myriad of food allergies, so we have to keep a mini pantry with us at all times.
+ Compact size. I am 5' 1", and look silly carrying a huge bag.
+ Reasonably priced (anything over $75 will require negotiation with DH, but perhaps worth it if the bag is perfect...)

We already have a Skip Hop Dash and a LE DIA, both of which are fine bags, but don't fill the bill. I also bought and returned a Overland Equipment Donner bag which would have been perfect had it been a few inches bigger.

Thanks!

audball
05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Not exactly a gender neutral pattern, but a very lightweight messenger:
www.chesterhandbags.com

New patterns were supposed to be coming out.

The Lexie Barnes Superstar is supposed to be quite lightweight.

Have you considered a sling bag? I know Overland makes a larger sized sling bag (not exactly for diapering needs). Then there is the Mustard Sprout Marshall bag and the Fleurville DJ bag (both are a little pricey, but maybe you can find some deals on yahoo babybags or ebay?).

Kindra178
05-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Take a look at the JuJuBe Men's Messenger. I just love it. It seems incredibly well made and has post baby usage. My husband said he would happily carry as well, even post baby. Would work well as a gym bag/work bag, I think, particularly for a guy. I got the orange/tan combo. You can see detailed pics on the expressivetoys.com website. Jen from there recommended it to me and I couldn't be happier. The only downside is the expense -- $120.

audball
05-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I forgot that my DH really likes his gender neutral Jack Spade bag. Modernseed.com has a sale on dad gear stuff for Father's Day:
www.modernseed.com

It's $100 during the sale and their shipping is usually pretty tame.

DAKnits
05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Not sure you'd consider it, but the LL Bean Diaper bag is ultra organized, fits a lot without looking huge, has the best organization of any of my bags (I have A LOT of bags), and is gender neutral, and not that expensive. It's not super pretty, but I love it!

I hope you don't mind answering a question about the Overland Donner -- what could you fit in there? What couldn't you fit? I am trying (desperately) to use a really small bag for everyday use, and I am hoping that will be the ONE. Sorry it didn't work out for you!

mtortilla
05-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the rec on the LLBean bag, I will check it out.

As for the Donner, I found that if I put a water bottle and a sippy cup in the two side bottle holders, I had just enough room for a couple of small (1/2 cup) plastic containers of snacks and a little toy. There is an outside back pocket that can hold one diaper but not much else. The front organizer section has enough room for really small items like a cell phone, pens, but not enough for a big wallet. If you don't use the side bottle pockets, there is considerably more space inside. My assessment is that if you're just out for an hour or two, the Donner would be just fine, plus you'd be very well organized. A friend of mine uses the Donner as her everyday (non-diaper) purse and swears that it has changed her life!

mtortilla
05-30-2006, 11:14 PM
The JJB Messenger looks very cool! One question, if you don't mind - is the base of the messenger sturdy enough so that the bag can stand on its own? That it would be handy.

mtortilla
05-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Wow - I have not even heard of most of these brands! I will look into them all.

mtortilla
05-30-2006, 11:18 PM
The LL Bean looks very good. One question for you - can you wear it in a messenger style?

DAKnits
05-30-2006, 11:34 PM
I wear it messenger style. The adjustable strap will allow you to adjust it to wear you like to wear it on your body. If it came in a backpack/messenger convertible style, I'd buy one in every color -- I like the organization that much. I tend to prefer backpacks, but I hate giving up the organization of this bag. It can fit a LOT, but it doesn't have to be full to look good.

mom22boys
05-31-2006, 11:46 PM
I just looked at the LL Bean diaper bag and it looks very interesting! Do you have pictures of the inside??

Thanks!
Carrie

Tondi G
06-01-2006, 01:13 AM
I'd love to see inside pics too!

dhano923
06-01-2006, 01:59 AM
How about the DadGear Messenger bags? Simple lines, clean look, and lots of storage.

DAKnits
06-01-2006, 02:04 AM
I have a shutterfly album with various pictures ... here's the link:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8QZNmrRmybMMG

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

mom22boys
06-01-2006, 09:27 AM
ooo thank you! I love that LL Bean one!!!

Carrie

Kindra178
06-01-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't think it could stand on its own. Althuogh it seems quite stury, the bottom part is not rigid.

mtortilla
06-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the advice & photos! We finally decided on the LL Bean. We chose the diaper bag over the touring bag because the green interior was zippier than the silver, plus it came with a changing pad (much nicer than our skip hop duo changing pad). The bag is great, and the price is right ($36, plus free shipping with a coupon code which you can google for). Great organization, lightweight, not too bulky, plenty of room. I was able to fit everything from our gigantic Lands End bag with room to spare. The only downsides: it's not the hippest looking bag, and the strap is not padded (despite the website description). The strap has a sliding rubber gripper, and if you are short like me, the gripper bites directly into your neck if you wear it messenger style, so I must slide it out of the way.

Rach3975
06-24-2006, 02:29 AM
Sounds like you're set with the LL Bean, but I thought I'd throw out one more, the Lands End Little Tripper. It's very similar to the LL Bean, IMO, but it's smaller and lighter.