PDA

View Full Version : LE DIA vs. Triple Compartment Backpack

Marriedladytara
06-02-2006, 09:50 AM
We're going to be flying from Philadelphia to San Francisco this summer with Jonah, who will be 6 months old. We'll also be taking a short cruise from NYC to Nova Scotia. Right now I use a Skip Hop Dash or an LE Little Tripper. I'm looking for something my husband and I can use for the plane and long days out and about. We'll be using a Maclaren Quest stroller (I plan on buying it before our trips...)

Any suggestions of which might be a better bag for us?

mommato2boys
06-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Personally, I think the DIA bag is bulky for what is fits. The wide mouth design is nice to see in, but it kinda limits how much it holds. I haven't ever had the backpack, but that would be my choice out of the two.

If you like the skip hop dash, you could try the new double duo. I have it, and LOVE it. You can pack TONS in it, and it isn't bulky. I use it as an everyday bag, but it would be a great travel bag too!

Sangiovese
06-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I have a LE DIA (older version), and I wouldn't want to carry it around all day. It just seems like a backpack would be easier, and your hands would be free. (Pre-kids, DH and I always carried a backpack on vacations.) There might be easier (flatter, maybe) to use messenger style bags, but, between the two, I would go with the backpack. I am getting one later this year for a trip. I plan on hanging it on my stroller, an older Pliko (pre-P3), which also seems to be a benefit of the backpack. I know that the Maclarens are tippy, so that may not work for you.

I've had the LE DIA and LE LT forever (6+ years), and I rarely use the DIA as anything other than a suitcase. It just seems awkward to carry for any length of time. (Again, mine is an older version, so this may have changed.)

Enjoy!

MamaKath
06-02-2006, 07:29 PM
When I am traveling, a backpack is my first choice as a diaper bag. It carries a lot, keeps hands free to push strollers, chase toddlers, etc. Second choice is a messenger like Timbuk2 or the SkipHops and my absolute last choice would be a tote (which is the category I would put the DIA in). I feel that a tote typically does not hold as much, is difficult to carry, and leaves me with one arm "impaired" since I have to hold it. I would vote for either a backpack (and put something like a LT in your luggage in case you need a smaller bag too) or a messenger bag.

HTH~

lmwbasye
06-02-2006, 08:05 PM
I would go for backpack always when traveling. Plus, the shoulder straps on the LE backpack are super comfy!

bubbaray
06-03-2006, 10:37 AM
I have both of these bags and took them both as carry-ons on a recent flight. I also have the Dash (2) and LE LT (again, 2).

I like the DIA for on the plane -- it opens wide and fits under the seat open, so you can easily grab stuff. I wouldn't want to carry the DIA around all day, though.

The LE Triple Compartment Backpack has to be my all around fav bag for travel. The straps are sooooo comfy, even more comfy than any of the straps on all the technical hiking/climbing packs I have. Great organization and lightweight too.

FWIW, I doubt you'll be able to hang any diaper bag off of your Quest without your child in the stroller -- Macs are tippy.

I also took a LE LT on that same trip and used that as my day bag, but we weren't out that long at any given time. I love my Dash(es), but I don't think they hold enough for me to use on a plane trip. If you want to take a couple bags, you could take one (or 2) for the flight and one for day trips.

Also, when we flew, both DH and I used diaper bags as our carry ons.

HTH

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

my3fallkiddos
06-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't have the backpack but I do have a DIA and for traveling, I would go with the backpack. The straps on the DIA are at the good length but still, it can flop forward and to open it, you have to sit it down on something.

tmrbwilson1998
06-03-2006, 11:38 AM
I had the older style DIA and the backpack...and have used them both at separate times for trips from Germany to the States, and highly recommend the backpack for comfort, shoveability under the seats, organization, and oh, did I mention comfort?!

Happy Travels!
Tina