PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a "non-diaper bag" diaper bag??

annasmom
06-03-2006, 05:33 AM
I am so tired of carrying enormous diaper bags everywhere, and would really like to get something for me.

Of course, it has to be able to hold what I need for my dc. These days I am carrying wipes (usually in slim wipe case or zip lock bag - so very slim), one diaper, 2 sippy cups, extra pair of toddler underpants, wallet, cell phone, keys, and maybe a small snack and some make-up for me.

I have a Vera Bradley Betsy bag that works great. It has great pockets, and is relateively shallow so I can find everything very easily. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bag that would work similarly, but maybe a different look??

TIA!

julieakc
06-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I have a Mia Tortilla bag that I think looks like just a purse, yet it would hold everything you mention. I have the market bag because I had heard that the actual diaper bag was huge. I think the market bag is the perfect size.

You can also customize the bag by adding additional pockets or changing the size, etc.

www.miatortilla.com

DAKnits
06-03-2006, 07:57 PM
That's why I got the Un Apres Midi Chien de Fourmi -- do a search for posts on this bag, there are a lot! I'm selling mine now since I prefer backpacks to totes, but it isn't a diaper bag, it doesn't look like one, it'll fit anything you need, and it's very cool looking. Here's the pic from the website (I have the black).

annasmom
06-03-2006, 08:47 PM
I was absolutely obssessed with these bags for a while, but do you think they are still "in." Gees, I cannot believe I just asked that, I am SO not in fashion! I guess my concern is that I wanted that bag SO badly last Summer, and it is still pretty pricey so it will have to last me a while. I hope I just made sense!

sophiesmom
06-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Not sure if you are interested in staying in the vera line, but i just bought a carry all and a baby bag. I bought the carry all for when i just have the baby, or the baby and 1 other kid, and the baby bag for when i have all 3.

I just used the carry all today with the baby and so far love it. I didn't have too much in the bag, but it was really light!

I'm currently packing the baby bag, just to have it ready. It's a good size, but doesn't feel so big and bulky since they are quilted. Not a lot of pockets on the inside, just 2 where i put 2 diff size diapers, but i'm using a toiletry type kit that I got w/ my lands end dia (2001) to put all my little things, like first aid, chapstik, suncream, toilet covers etc. I have tons of room left for extra clothes, a small cooler bag, coloring books, jackets, etc.. for when i need them in there. There is also a pocket in the front where i put the wipes, and 2 side pockets for sippies. Also, a back pocket with a pretty quilted changing pad which is washable.

Both bags hang great on my strollers, and will be something i can use for myself for traveling once i'm done using them as diaper bags..

HTH!

DAKnits
06-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Well, since the new '06 line looks exactly the same as the '05 line, with just a different color stripe, I do think they're "in" -- I may not be a fashionista, but I definitely keep up with the styles! I think the French are very fashion forward ;-)

If want to spend less and are interested in an EUC bag, email me: DAKnits @ aol . com and tell me what you were thinking of
spending.

MamaKath
06-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Can you head to TJ Maxx or Marshall's? They always have a great selection of purses in every color, size, etc. You can bonk me upside the head now, because who wants to do that with kids. ;-)

I think Ameribags makes great purses/bags. www.ebags.com is my favorite for checking out bags and pictures.

VB also has a microfiber collection that might be more handbag looking. Maybe even another print for summer in a similar VB style?

HTH~

hudsonam
06-05-2006, 09:45 AM
How about a Silverline Swagg? That's very un-diaper bag looking. My mom didn't believe me that it's actually a diaper bag. Or a Ju-Ju-Be Be Small? I love mine. HTH!

annasmom
06-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, that is one really cool looking bag - very *relaxed* looking. I am not too thrilled with the current fabric selections however. I like the asian looking fabric, but I have a Kecci Shanghai and a One Cool Chick, so I just cannot do another asian-inspired fabric.

pinkmomagain
06-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Don't know how indulgent you want to be, but for Xmas/Chanukka, my husband gave me a Louis Vuitton tote bag. (And it was his idea, not mine!) I got a diaper/wipes holder, threw it in, and it's my diaper bag. I have more than enough room, then again, I'm a light packer.

HTH,

Gina

lwcain
06-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Good for you! I think that with 3 kids you should treat yourself to something nice. I think that also, you should take into consideration your bag style preference (messenger, tote, backpack, etc.), your lifestyle (casual, formal, etc.), how hard you are on your bags, what you'll be carrying in the bag, and how much you're willing to spend.

Personally, I'd rather splurge on a fabulous bag that will last a long time and serve multiple purposes than a stash of diaper bags that are just...well...diaper bags. If you were to add up your diaper bag purchases over the past years, what non-diaper bag could/would you treat yourself to today? Go for it!

That being said, my cousin inspired me to go the non-diaper bag route from the start. She bought a regular Kate Spade black nylon messenger bag. She used it as her only diaper bag. 6 years later, she still has the bag and uses it as a casual bag or travel carry-on. I prefer totes, so I bought a Kate Spade black nylon Aubrey Baby Bag, which basically is a classic black structured tote with a changing pad. I also treated myself to a Coach wristlet to hold all of my essentials, which goes in the zippered "mommy section" of the tote.

HTH,

Lesley

samantha546
06-07-2006, 02:23 AM
I bought myself a Coach Tote and LOVE it as an everything bag. Perfect size and it stays on my shoulder! I throw all my junk plus DD's junk, which includes a wipes case, changing pad, sippy cup, change of clothes, 2-3 7th Gen diapers and or CD's. Plus toys and snacks. And it's still relatively small and compact. The only gripe is that it doesn't have a zipper.. but if it did, then I wouldn't be able to fit as much in it! I can post a photo if you'd like..

I have several other purses that I've started to incorporate into diaper bags.. but I have to say that Kate Spade, LV and Gucci bags especially do not have great organization-- the totes anyway. I'd have to get escape pods and diapees n wipees and snack capsules and so on.. Again, IMHO.

Ok, HTH! Gotta head off to sleep-- big hike tomorrow!

Samantha

annasmom
06-08-2006, 09:36 AM
I want to thank everyone for your great recommendations. I am going to hold off on any *real* diaper bag purchase right now (regardless of how cool it looks, lol!) because I know when baby no. 3 comes along, I am going to need another *real* diaper bag because mine either just don't work or are too ratty. I am also going to hold off on another VB until the Fall. I am loving my Betsy right now (in Sherbert), and I really need a new Fall colored VB (I have the tote in Chocolate and it it just a huge deep hole).

So, I am really considering the Un Apres Midi Chien Fourmi. But I do have a question for those who have it. Based on what I carry, do I need the big version, or can I get away with the smaller version. I don't know when I could get around to actually seeing one IRL, so buying on-line is my best option. Also, does anyone know where I could find the best buy?? I am going for basic black (most likely ;)).

Thank you!!!