PDA

View Full Version : why are shopping cart covers so expensive?

skohng
06-03-2006, 09:30 PM
been shopping around and researching these boards and i was shocked to see how expensive they are. are they really worth the price?

thanks.

dhano923
06-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Yes, they are worth it! Do you really want your DC sitting on a grocery cart seat where someone had put a package of leaky raw chicken? Or touch a cart handle that someone with a cold just rubbed snot on?

sophiesmom
06-03-2006, 10:34 PM
i paid $40 for mine at BRU, a little high but not bad. is that about the price range? i really think it's worth it, i'm not a big germ phobe person, but carts kinda gross me out.

DAKnits
06-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Try the Original Clean Shopper -- not as expensive as the others, isn't HUGE and bulky to carry around, full coverage, decent pading, easy to use (I have two more expensive ones, and then got this one).

Only $20, not bad!

http://kirstensgi12095.goeserv.com/images/newcleanshopper/Shopping_Cart_Cover_Clean_Shopper_Baby_Shopping_Ca rt_Covers.htm

winterbaby
06-04-2006, 07:36 AM
I was given the floppy seat from BRU at my shower. it's not as fashionable as some of the others but it works fine (wouldn't go without one). maybe try ebay? I wouldn't pay more than $40 for it...i mean how long is your baby going to be in the cart anyway? to me it wasn't worth paying extra $$ to make a fashion statement :)

AbbieF
06-04-2006, 08:38 AM
I had one made and its worth every penny. Not only are carts gross- raw meats, people who don't wash their hands, but also babies w/ colds and messy diapers that leak. Plus I love the pockets on mine for her sippy cup. I can also use my cart cover as a cover for the square wood high chairs at restaurants. Not only does it make it more comfortable but think of all the kids w/ colds etc... that have sat in those. You know those have never been cleaned. If you break it down to a per use fee it amounts to pennies.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 04/04 and Kate 01/06

dhano923
06-04-2006, 10:04 AM
You'd be surprised at how long your kiddo will be in a cart! LOL My son is 2 1/2 and still sits in the cart when I do grocery shopping. There's no way he would walk next to me as I shopped -- he would just run off. I expect him to be in the cat until he's probably 4 or 5 years old (although we wouldn't be using the cart cover at that point).

I start using a cart cover with both kids at about 5 months of age. I also use it in restaurant high chairs -- those wooden seats don't seen very comfortable, and who knows when they were last cleaned.

I'm not a germaphobe either but carts and high chairs are known for having ridiculously high amount of eColi bacteria (saw it on a news program).

*Edited to fix spelling error

oliviasmomma
06-04-2006, 11:00 AM
You'd be suprised at how many grocery carts are missing their seat belts. Most covers should have a belt to attach it to the cart and one to strap DC in. It seems like every time I decide to run in without the cover I end up going back out to the car for it because none of the carts have belts.

Just another reason I like our cover!

MarieBunny
06-04-2006, 01:31 PM
I am surprised at how many people think they are essential. Personally, I think they are a pain in the rear. I would always forget mine in the car and have to go back for it. It's a pain to put on while you are holding baby. For me, there was only a couple month period when my DS was still not sitting well yet to help prop him up in the cart. You could also prop the baby up with blankets. I am not a germaphobe, but I still try to wipe down the cart with antibacterial wipes before putting him in. Many stores offer wipes now. I had a cheapie one from BRU (15.00 or so) but still for the price I paid, it wasn't worth it.

skohng
06-04-2006, 03:00 PM
thanks for all the input. I am not a germophobe either, but I do like the idea that you can use these for the cart AND highchair.

I was just a little surprised at the prices of the more cushy ones being sold, and knowing me, if I had to carry one more thing on my shoulder I wouldn't carry it around. Again, thanks for the input and I'll look into those recs!

DAKnits
06-04-2006, 04:58 PM
That's why I got the Original Clean shopper -- so tired of carrying around the big bulky ones -- and I paid a lot for those bulky ones! Love my Clean Shopper!!! It's padded but not bulky, cute, and small to tote around!

Sangiovese
06-05-2006, 07:31 AM
I don't see a need for a shopping car cover, either, but I do have a strap that works much better than those seat belts in the stroller. Like a PP said, the straps are broken often and, in addition, they don't sit right on small babies (often around the chest instead of the waist, and small babies just slip forward).

http://www.babyant.com/bh044056.html

I hope that helps!

hudsonam
06-05-2006, 08:02 AM
I have a Kozypal cover, and I love it, even now that my mom shrunk it on me. It's a little tight on the larger carts, but still fits, and between the comfort factor and cleanliness factor, I think it was worth every penny. We also use it on high chairs in restaurants, and it's great. It catches a lot of the crumbs and things, so we can keep some of the mess contained. As to why they are so pricey, I don't know, other than labor primarily. And since people will pay it, they'll continue to charge it.

maurenemm
06-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I too can't quite understand why most of them are so expensive. I just bought one on Ebay which was handmade. I can't imagine that the materials and supplies needed to make one cost that much. Nor do they seem like they'd be that labor intensive. (But I could be wrong.) I got one that was "on special" so I only paid about half price. It'll be interesting to see how often I use it.

kcgirl
06-05-2006, 03:01 PM
It's cheaper than a trip to the doctor!!! Also, they are comfortable for baby/toddler both in the shopping cart and high chair.

jenfed1
06-05-2006, 07:49 PM
I got one as a gift and I love mine. DD is 13 months and I imagine I will use it for a long time to come. First off, it is way more cushioned that putting her in a cold/hot/or wet shopping cart, depending on the weather! Second, she doesn't have to touch those gross carts...and believe me, I am not a stickler for germs, but shopping carts are the WORST for germs.

julieakc
06-06-2006, 01:00 AM
I didn't buy one until DS was about 18 months and I really wish I had bought one sooner as now I can't imagine using a cart without one. Actually before I bought one I rarely put DS in a shopping cart....he was in the stroller or I had groceries delivered. Anyway....I just feel like he's more comfortable and although I am not a germophobe it definitely feels more "clean" for both DS and myself. In fact I went to the grocery store the other night without DS and felt odd myself touching the handle on the cart.

As for the bulk/ease of use factor....I park near the carts and bring one next to the car, put the cover on, then take DS out of the car, so there's no hassle in holding him while trying to get the cover on. I keep the cover in the car so I never forget it.

Cost issue....not totally sure, but I do think they are somewhat labor intensive (and I do know how to sew)..that being said, there are some REALLY pricey ones out there that I don't see the price justification. There are plenty in the $40 ish range which is what I spent (I got mine from www.kangaroodle.com...although now the price is at $50)

DS is a little over 2 now and as a pp mentioned I think he'll be in the cart for quite a bit longer, so the $40 over the amount of use I'll get is pretty low.

HTH,
Julie

bethie_73
06-06-2006, 09:35 AM
There was a pattern for one, but I forgot to print it and its gone now :( I got one as a gift, and since I am trying to get as much use out of the infant seat I haven't used it yet, but I think it's a great idea. I'm not a germ-o-phobe either, but since DS got RSV at 1 month, it's amazing how much more careful I've become.

Tondi G
06-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Here is a link for making a cart cover!

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/cart_cover.html

tmrbwilson1998
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
They do seem expensive, but if you think you will use it, it pays for itself! I got a Sewcute one with custom fabric while pg with #2...mainly b/c I LOVED a particular fabric, a friend made a matching quilt, and it matched my diaper tote, too! I was embracing having a girl, since #1 was my little guy! With DS, we lived abroad and did not really use the shopping carts, as we walked everywhere and I just "wore" him.

However, with DD, now 10mo, we are back Stateside and use the cover at least once a week. For DD, who tends to lean to one side, put everything in her mouth these days, and need tons of extra toys, our cushy cover is great - lots of padding for her, pockets and toy loops, and easily washable! It is a bit bulky, but like a PP, I simply park by the cart corral at the store, and if I am eating out, I just loop the seatbelt around thru the toy loops and carry it like a bag (or DH does, lol)!

Though I am not a germaphobe (this is my second kiddo, after all!), I feel better knowing she is safer from the crud and is comfy to boot. As for the cost, I paid a few dollars more for my handmade, cushy one as my friend paid for her Floppy Seat. Mine is a bit bulkier, but it is not like I tote it everywhere or walk for miles either. I really appreciate having it!

HTH a little!
Tina :)

bleujeans
06-07-2006, 12:03 PM
I picked up the Original Clean Shopper at Marshalls for $12.99 - - great bargain! I saw a couple as recently as two weeks ago at both Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

HTH

Kim

skohng
06-07-2006, 02:01 PM
what a steal!! Can I ask what area you're in? I'll have to stalk the Marshall's here in the Chicago burbs...

bleujeans
06-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm in Charleston, West Virginia.

leslieu
06-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I got my Original Clean Shopper about 1 and half ago at TJ Maxx for $15.99 and we still use it with 28 month old DS. We don't go to the store without it.

Leslie

DAKnits
06-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Wish my TJ Maxx had this kind of stuff! I always see so many posts on great deals on baby stuff -- ours never has anything good!

leslieu
06-07-2006, 11:24 PM
I think it's one of those hit or miss type of things.. Sometimes there is nothing good, other times I find something I can't live without. 8-)
I try to go to TJ Maxx every few weeks, just to see what's new.

cara1
06-08-2006, 01:56 AM
I think it makes the cart more comfortable, especially if DD naps in it.
I'm a big fan of Baby a la Cart, and have bought a gazillion as shower gifts.

Melanie
06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
I never saw the need, Ds was not much of a mouther. Then when he was around two and healthy people were dying from the flu that winter. Then I bought a cart cover.

Now I'm glad b/c Dd mouths EVERYTHING. She even gets to the spots my cart cover slips away and doesn't keep protected. That's why I'm back to find a BIGGER one.

bethie_73
06-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I haven't been on for a couple of day so sorry this is late, but I am so happy you shared!!!

kijip
06-12-2006, 10:00 PM
I can not fathom why they are that expensive. Honestly I never saw the need but then again, I do not have a child with a compromised immune system or something nor a child that ever mouthed carts or similar items. Toby has been overwhemingly healthy so perhaps I would feel differently if he were prone to getting sick. In addition to being expensive, I think most of them are really ugly but that is just me. Also I am so lazy I can't imagine dragging it around. I am a bad mama! ;)

ellies mom
06-12-2006, 11:25 PM
You're my type of mother Katie. :) We had some silly flat cover from Target that I used if it was raining but it was such a pain that I usually didn't bother with it. We were follow the "build-up the immune system" school of thought. So, I couldn't tell you why most of them are so expensive either.

skohng
06-12-2006, 11:38 PM
haha. i love a mama who can say she's lazy! i mean that in the most respectful way possible ;)

Bethann31
06-13-2006, 06:44 AM
Actually, they are rather labor intensive, as sewing items go. All holes are usually bound, and lots of extra "pieces" may be attached. Even if someone only charges $10 - $15 an hour for their sewing (which in my mind is pretty low) the price can get up to $40 pretty darn quick. I have one I started when Katherine was an infant, but gave up when I decided I wanted to make clothes and I'm not a germaphobe, so it just wasn't important to me. So, I never used one for any of my children. They all lived and they are all really healthy. It may be a fluke though.

Beth

mom to Josh - 16, Mollie - 14, Jeffrey - 11 and Katherine - 3

hudsonam
06-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Wow... I just looked at the KozyPal covers, which is what I have, and they *are* pricey! But so are all of them, I suppose. I got mine a while ago, and I know at least one of them (my SIL's gift) was on sale. I would still splurge though. I get tons of use out of ours.

clc053103
06-13-2006, 02:36 PM
DS was 4 months when he outgrew the snugride, and didn't have the sitting up skills to go straight in a cart. I can't always shop with a stoller and at 20 lbs, babywearing really hurt my back (and he didn't like it either), I bought the cushy custom made cart cover. IT worked out great- I used the diaper bag and the little pillow to help prop him up, but didn't get nervous if he slid to the side a little b/c of the cushioning protection. when DS was tired I used to lay him across the seat and use the little pillow for his head! As for germs, well, he grabs at everything we pass so I can't be that germphobic, I would be sanitizing his hands the entire length of the store!

I also admit- I use the toy loops, and the pockets.

If your DC is older, and you aren't concerned with the germ factor (my local grocery stores leave antibacterial wipes at the door- you can wipe your cart down instead) then I would skip the cover.

tmrbwilson1998
06-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I agree - the extra cushiness is super for babies with less trunk support (my DD was pretty similar). Another good point - even if I forget to attach her toys to it, they tend to stay with her since there are only the 2 leg openings. The seat cover catched everything! I have been using this more and more, and am using it more frequently when with Mom and baby friends (after playgroup out to lunch, etc.) and am finding that even with a PBU or LB SS (big bags), an active 3yo, carrying 20-something lb 10mo DD, I can still manage well getting the cover into the high chairs or carts.

I was thinking the other day how I hate going to a restaurant where the booths have no padding and are all wood - so uncomfy. Now imagine your little one sitting in those hard, angular wooden high chairs (if you go out to eat regularly, anyways!) - even a thinner cover might add to the comfort level. :-)

:-)
Tina

jgriffin
06-15-2006, 08:40 AM
I agree with most of the PPs that they are worth it. We got ours from Angelyn Rose on eBay for about $40 when E was 7mo, and we use it frequently in shopping carts and high chairs. While I've never sewn a cover myself, I've knit and sewn clothes; handmade objects do take time and are frequently not worth it to sell. I can't say why the mass-produced ones are expensive...maybe just because they can be?

It protect E from random germs (which I'm not too worried about) and food crud (which I'm more worried about), and makes the shopping carts a lot more comfortable (especially for smaller babies). And there's the safety issue of always knowing you have a working strap buckle. Also, it protects the high chair from his food crud, so I feel he can be a messier eater when we're out. Heck, if he wants to spread banana or squash all over the place, no big deal (well, ykwim)! :)

Jen

Emmas Mom
06-16-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm another "wouldn't go without it Mama". To me they're just the best. Comfort-wise, germ-wise & heat-wise....we live in Arizona & in the middle of summer, if a cart's been sitting outside it can downright burn your DC's legs! Totally worth the price to me. :)

ETA: Plus, since I already have one from DD#1, I don't have to buy another now. ;)

tiapam
06-16-2006, 11:30 PM
I swear I have seen these things at Marshall's (at Irving and Cicero) or TJ Maxx (Irving and Narragansett) in Chicago.

I have one and don't really use it. But then I am a lazy mama, too, and can barely stand to take DD shopping besides.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

firsttimemommy
06-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Actually they are VERY labor intensive. A very talented seamstress made mine and it took her about 4 hours of work. Lets say I only paid her $8 per hour (CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP) that is $32. The materials (buying designer fabric on "sale") cost me about $25. That's $57.

Other companies can make them cheaper b/c they buy fabric in BULK and have machines and cheap cheap labor (they can also outsource the labor very cheaply if they order a TON). Many of these on ebay are WAHM and can't do that of course. And besides, I have never seen a mass-marketed one that I liked - too plain - the ones the smaller companies/WAHM make are usually better made, better quality, with more features - AND they are STYLISH (but I like that and that's me).

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

nfowife
06-17-2006, 01:08 PM
I personally don't think they are all that expensive. For me, I've spent ~$50 on useless things before. My shopping cart cover is seriously one of my MOST used baby items. I use it more than my stroller most weeks! It depends on your lifestyle, and where you shop of course, but I could not live without my cart cover. IMO it's been money well spent! I know I've bought countless items of clothing for more than $50 that I've only worn once.....I have used my cart cover 3-4 times a week for about 8 months now! At the $45 I paid, and with it's continued use, that's pennies per use. Definitely worth it to me!

dhano923
06-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Yesterday it was 102 degrees here in my part of So. CA! I took DD grocery shopping with me. I was so thankful to have my shopping cart cover with me because all the grocery stores here store their carts outside so they get very hot in the summer. The cover kept DD from having to sit on the hot plastic seat.

Tondi G
06-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Looks like Sewcute is back up and running

http://www.sewcuteboutique.com/default.html

Tanya
06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
At my baby shower, I got a cover from BRU that didn't cover the whole seat. I used it maybe once and thought it was a waste and gave it to charity.

Then I bought one (the kind that covers the whole area) for my daughter and LOVED it. We used it from when she was about 6 months old until around 18 months every time we had a shopping cart. Then she wanted to walk a bit, then she wanted to ride in the car carts. I got a good year out of the cover though and have never regretted it even a minute. Sure, it would have been nice if she'd still be that perfect little rider strapped into a nice clean cover instead of me having to try to wipe down the various surfaces of the icky car carts. And did I mention how much *I* loved having the cover over the cart handle for ME?
I just keep mine in the back of the minivan and would just pull it out whenever I needed it. It's still back there for the times when I get to use it again...and I'm pregnant with #2, so mine will get used again.

Something that has totally always grossed me out is kids eating while sitting in shopping carts without the covers. Ewww ewww ewww! All those germs going straight into the kid's mouth with the food.

Anyway, after LOVING my shopping cart cover, I wanted my friends to have one too. However, they are expensive. So, I decided to make my own. Well, I'm thrifty and even using 40% off coupons on all the different materials (plus I buy the clearance fabrics or at least the least expensive 100% cottons) I need to make a shopping cart cover, I'm lucky if I can make one for $20 in materials (I even make 2 at a time generally so that I can get the most out of the fabric). Add in all the time it takes me to put it all together and I completely understand why they are so expensive. In fact, I've had many people suggest that I make them and sell them and I seriously do NOT believe I'd profit. It's just too labor intensive. I can sew other things so much faster. The cart covers take so long for me that I don't even enjoy doing them anymore. I need to make one for a friend that had her baby in May and I keep procrastinating.

Tanya