PDA

View Full Version : should i get the fleurville sling tote?

mrsJuice
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm new here and have doing some research on getting a diaper bag. I saw the fleurville sling tote (in green & brown ) at the store and fell in love with it, but i'm new to all of this and am not sure it's right for me.

I like to wear my bags messenger style and I tend to be an overpacker, even now, without a child... I saw that the green bag does not come with the plastic covering and I'm Ok with that..

This is my first baby. I will be going back to work when the baby is 4 mos old. I will be taking the baby to daycare near my office so will be traveling on the subway everyday with baby and diaper bag. I plan to wear the baby in the beginning and then use the Maclaren Quest when the baby gets older, so I like the idea of the clips on the ST bag.

I'm hoping to BF so the bag will need to be big enough to hold bottles for daycare ( and whatever else you bring them? sorry i'm new to this ) and some of my own stuff. wallet, cell phone, keys perhaps my lunch , too?

clearly, i'm a little clueless.
what do you guys think?

DAKnits
06-07-2006, 02:42 PM
I assume you're going to wear you baby in the front? I find it hard to carry my baby while wearing a bag messenger style, b/c her legs keep kicking the bag. For me, it's easiest to carry her while wearing a backpack -- but if you like wearing messenger, you might want to consider a "convertible" backpack that can be worn both messenger and backpack style. If you're just thinking messenger style, I would consider the LL Bean diaper bag -- so incredibly organized, can as much as you need, or as little -- without looking huge, and great price! I just love this bag!!! The adjustable strap can go over any stroller handles. Personally, I don't like stroller clips b/c I am always taking my bag off and on the stroller, and it's just one extra step. The strap goes perfectly over the handles, and there's no need to clip it on. ESPECIALLY WITH A QUEST!!! When you take your baby out of the Quest, you must take your bag off the stroller or it will fall to the ground -- that's the unfortunate issue with almost every Maclaren.

Edited to add: Two other messenger styles that might work: Lexie Barnes Super Star and the Ju Jube Be all.

I have lots of pictures of the LL Bean bag if you're interested, just email me: [email protected].

If you have stroller questions, you can also ask away ... I have a lot of them!

I don't own a Sling Tote, but I have packed them several times in stores with my stuff, LOL! and I'm not sure it'll be big enough for you to pack all your baby's daycare stuff in there. If you decide on a convertible bag, I would consider a Jessica Bumble Bag convertible backpack (you can fit a ton, but it doesn't look huge, and it's got lots of pockets for organization). Another popular convertible bag (I just haven't seen it IRL) is the Posh Baby Utltimate convertible bag.

If you decide to go with a just backpack style, I would suggest either a Baby Sherpa Regular size (I just go thtis one) or Baby Sherpa Shorthaul (these have integrated cooler sections that might be helpful for food and snacks for daycare), the LL Bean Triple Compartment Backpack, or the Timi and Leslie Backpack. If you have questions about any of these, just let me know, I'd be happy to answer!

mrsJuice
06-07-2006, 03:01 PM
thanks for the fast reply. yes i am planning to wear the baby on the front and was also wondering the same thing about wearing messenger style and wearing baby at the same time. i was thinking you'd have to put the bag on first, then the baby. but maybe backpack does make more sense.. I really like the messenger style so a convertible would probably work best for me so i can do either.

i will definitely look into the Jessica bumble and the Posh baby ultimate. do you think there are any convertibles with integrated cooler sections?

i just loved the look of the sling tote. but it doesn't very practical right now.

i have witnessed the Quest tipping over so i know i'll need to be careful about that!!

thanks again!

DAKnits
06-07-2006, 05:14 PM
There are very few convertible bags out there, and none that I can think of that have an integrated cooler. Maybe you want to consider the Silver Line Convertible backpack which actually sells with a cooler accessory, and its large size can accomodate all of your things, and lots of extra food, clothes, and a cooler with no problem. The accessories include a cooler, a toy bag, a big changing pad with compartments for supplies, and a wardrobe which is excellent for day care for extra clothes and has two sides (so one can be for dirty and one for clean). It also comes with a paci pouch, but I bought mine without it. You can see the bag on the website: silverlinebabybags.com. I actually have one for sale, if you're interested, just email me (I only used the bag 4-5 hours max, and I never used the accessories at all.)

Other than the Jessica Bumble, Posh baby Utimate, and Silver Line Convertible, I wouldn't go with the other choices out there, unless there's something I'm not thinking of:

The Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack is dry clean only and no organization (although very pretty, not good for what you need IMO), the Kecci Backpack (a knock off of the PBB Boxy Backpack and also brocade and very little organization), the Blingy Baby convertible backpack (another brocade -- not practical, IMO), I'm Still Me So Big convertible backpack (you can see this on imstillme.com, and although I've never had this, I wasn't crazy about it after some of the reviews I read on this sit, but everyone has their own needs so judge for yourself) ... I'd have to think some more, but right now, I can't think of others that would be best for your needs.

Edited to add a picture of the Silver Line Convertible bag from the website.

samantha546
06-08-2006, 01:47 AM
I love my FV sling tote and have not had any problems with carrying it while wearing DD. I have used the Moby Wrap, Sutemi Pack, Hotsling, Ring Slings & Mei Tais and have not had the Sling Tote get in the way.

Sometimes I do this "rambo" thing with the pouches and bag. And other times, it is easier to put the bag on first and then the baby. But I generally place it more towards the rear than on the side.

Anyway, I love this bag as it's so versatile and I love the stroller hooks.

HTH!

Samantha

tmrbwilson1998
06-10-2006, 01:13 PM
First off, welcome, and congrats!

Here is my experience - with DS, we lived in a German city where we walked MILES each day and lived in the elements, hopping trains, street cars, and buses. Since I did not want to pay for an expensive bag while out and about in the elements, I opted for a LE LT (I had the older style, which IMO held more) then I carried a thermos with hot water once DS had to be weaned onto prescription formula. I also used a LE diaper backpack - super comfy, even when I wore it while front-wearing DD and chasing after DS while hoping a train!

When my 2yo DS began 2 morning/week preschool, I opted for a LE bag since I did not want to put money into a bag to just leave in a grimy cubby all morning! Then I had my pretty bag for weekends or whatever.

A perennial favorite around here seems to be the Skip*Hop bags...they attach to strollers, come in denim, canvas, and I think one other material. They also convert to messenger/shoulder bags. Maybe a sturdy canvas Skip*Hop could be a good choice to easily attach to the stroller, still be worn messenger, and durable for being out and about?

Just another idea for ya!
Tina :)

JenniferMC1971
06-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi, I can't answer about the sling tote, but just wanted to chime in about what you bring to daycare, if that'll help you decide on a bag. I went back to work when my baby was 3 months and I was - and still am - breastfeeding. The only thing that goes to daycare each day is the bottles. We have to supply our own diapers, wipes, change of clothes, and now for summer, towel, sunscreen, swimsuit. But I don't bring all that everyday. I just buy a big pack of diapers/wipes and drop them off once a month or however long they last. I'm not on the subway, though, so it wouldn't be easy for you to lug a big box of diapers. Can you borrow a car to drop all that stuff off in the beginning?

Hope this helped.
-Jennifer, mom to Brigid, born 9/14/05

nfowife
06-10-2006, 04:36 PM
The sling tote is a nice bag, but the full-size is very HEAVY when not packed, and I think if you want a bag strictly for messenger-style wear it's not the best choice because it is kind of weirdly shaped for a messenger bag. I think of it more as a tote bag that you can wear messenger style in a pinch myself (because it's more vertical than horizontal). I would go for something like the lexie barnes superstar or the fleurville mothership if you want something to wear just messenger style that is on the large side.

patti_b
06-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Ditto what Jennifer said - that's a good point. If you stock up with supplies at daycare, the bottles could just go in a small cooler pack. If you ever switch to powdered formula or need to supplement, you can take a whole can and just take empty bottles (assuming your daycare doesn't require you to make your own bottles).

amiemarie7
06-12-2006, 12:46 AM
i love my ST. i guess it might be heavier but considering the comfort and padding on the strap, it is more comfortable than others. most bags have those think nylon black straps which dig into my shoulder like the jessica by Bumble Bags. i really like my jessica but feel the black straps uncomfortable whether for backpack or messenger. i only like it when i can hang it on the stroller or dont have to carry it(going to someones house). if i need to carry the bag awhile, i go for the sling tote. it can hold more than most. i was able to fit more in it than in my skip hop dash. i prefer totes which can be stuffed more than flap messengers since you dont have to close them at the top(unsure if thats ok for a subway).

i myself, wouldnt feel comfortable wearing a backpack in a subway esp as you sit back in a seat. and it might be a little difficult to manuever in a subway when your baby needs something out of it while you are wearing them.
i would recommend you trying to leave extra clothes and diapers at daycare too. also what i do to keep the bag having more room is carry a cooler bag just for the bottles. that way you have easy access, and its not taking up your whole diaper bag. i have a gr8x bottle bag which can hold 4 thin or 3 wide neck bottles, also i saw a bag by munchkin at target which could hold all the food stuff even when your baby starts to eat solids. that way all food, bibs, bottles, spoons are together. also, if you can get a wristlet or very small handbag for work that can fit in the diaper bag, that would help too. once you have a baby, you realize you dont need all that stuff in your purse. just money, credit cards, lipstick, and a cell.
if you are set on having the bottles in your bag, you might want a larger bag. some bigger ones are posh baby ultimate(backpack), or fleurville mothership(messenger) which are both huge. i have heard the lexie barnes superstar (messenger) is light considering size, holds a bunch, and doesnt seem huge when on.
imo, considering you might be exposed to elements as you go into the daycare, you might want to stay away from certain materials. the Bumble bags materials is quite nice, and fleurville is vinyl covered. i didnt like how my skip hold held up. only a few months and it had wear in all 4 corners from being on the ground. it was also bumblegum pink which was too light since it got dirty quite easy. hope this all helps. i remember how hard it is to predict what you really need. the good thing is you will be home 4 months. in the begining you need so much since they are always eating, going to the bathroom, spitting up, or having diapers leak. but at 4 months there wont be so many accidents so you should be able to need less than in the beginning. good luck!!!

amiemarie7
06-12-2006, 12:53 AM
oh and the maclarens are great for city and subway use. i really dont believe there is anything better, but they do tip when you have a bag hanging on the handles. i have the 9lb volo for quick trips and i couldnt live without it BUT its so light when i take my daughter out it tips if any bag is on it. thats the price you pay for a superlight stroller. and the maclarens have a very small basket underneath. either you should just be really careful, or make sure you get a bag really comfortable to wear. remember when you are at a store trying them on to think how they will feel when they are all packed as they get quite heavy when packed. i really cant say enough about the comfort or the sling totes strap. just look for a bag with a padded area on the strap so it wont dig in. hth