PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a very light diaper bag or tote w/pockets...

jacquiro
06-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi. My daughter is now 11 mos old so I don't need to carry too much baby stuff w/me, but my problem is that she despises her stroller and I end up carrying her everywhere in a hip hammock or ergo. My Timi and Leslie is just too heavy to throw on my shoulder and I end up carrying around an old nylon Chapelier tote that's a huge mess
(no pockets). I'm now looking for some kind of light, comfortable tote (fairly plain or just black is fine) that has some organization so my stuff isn't a giant mess. Also, when I need to carry drinks, I'd love a pocket for that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

jacquiro
06-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi. My daughter is now 11 mos old so I don't need to carry too much baby stuff w/me, but my problem is that she despises her stroller and I end up carrying her everywhere in a hip hammock or ergo. My Timi and Leslie is just too heavy to throw on my shoulder and I end up carrying around an old nylon Chapelier tote that's a huge mess
(no pockets). I'm now looking for some kind of light, comfortable tote (fairly plain or just black is fine) that has some organization so my stuff isn't a giant mess. Also, when I need to carry drinks, I'd love a pocket for that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

DAKnits
06-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Hi! I feel your pain, my daughter won't sit in a stroller and I end up carrying her all of the time, only she's 22 months and almost 30 lbs! I have a Mei Tei Hip Carrier but I just never bother using it. I can't let her walk or we wouldn't make it anywhere!

Anyway, when you wear your hip hammock, it might bother you to have a messenger or tote style, have you thought about a backpack? I think the Ergo is a backpack though -- maybe a convertible is best for you?

Here are my thoughts:

Backpack: What about the Safeline Kids Skyline (microfiber) or Timberline (ripstop nylon) -- ebags is having a 20% off sale and I know they carry them.

Convertible:
Silver Line Swagg: This bag holds a lot more than you would imagine. If you do a search, you'll find posts and pictures. It has two bottle pockets in the main section, so you could carry your cups/bottles. I have the black with pink interior, and it's super cute! I fit:

Back section: one thin changing pad, ziplock of wipes, travel size diaper cream, one size 6 diaper, a small bib.
Middle section has two bottle holders, I use one for a bottle, one for a sippy, a lil milk container and a small snack container.
Front zippered section: tiny toys in the zippered pocket, disposable placements, scissors -- you could also shove some small items down the center of this compartment.
Front slip pocket: cell phone and camera.
Back zippered pocket: mini coach wristlet.
Then I use a caribiner clip to attach my keys, and put my sunglasses and DD's sunglasses on top of the things in the open middle section when we get inside.

For something larger, there's the Jessica Bumble Bags convertible bag which holds a ton, but looks great even if it's not stuffed. This might be too big for you though.

Messenger style:

Overland Donner: Love this bag, it's my every day bag now. There are 2 exterior bottle holders (I have one emergency bottle and one sippy). I love the trifold mommy pocket! The main section is big enough for me to put one snack container, a cloth bib, a burp cloth, a Lil' Milk container, a ziplock of toys, and small items like hairbrush, nail clippers, medicine etc...in the little interior pocket, DD's sunglasses, my keys and sunglasses, and a diapees and wiapees case with: 1 size 6 diaper, wipes in a ziplock, and diaper cream. I also have my camera, cell phone, small wristlet, check book, pen, and scissors in the front mommy section, and a small changing pad in the back slip pocket.

Land's End Little Tripper: for when I need just a little more room than the Overland ... Great bag, I think everyone should have one, it's also got the exterior bottle pockets, but more mesh elastic pockets inside, and it's overall a bit larger. Price can't be beat ... $19.95! I fit all of the above, plus I am able to stick a sweater and hat in the bag comfortably. I could put a lot more stuff in the Mommy pocket in the LE LT if I wanted to, like my large wrislet or long wallet.

HTH!

jacquiro
06-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks so much for all your great ideas. I'm going to look them up and see what would work best for me.
I appreciate you taking the time to give me so much info,
jacqui

chubbycheeks
06-16-2006, 06:06 PM
You have some great suggestions already! The only ones I can add are maybe the Lexie Barnes Darling in black and I have also heard good things about LeSportSac bags if you are looking for lightweight. They have a ton of styles and seconds available if you call them!

samantha546
06-17-2006, 02:14 AM
I would also suggest looking at the PPB Toddler Tote. It's very lightweight and "stuffable". Stays on your shoulder and does have two outside pockets for cups.

I find that it's the perfect size for my needs at this time. I'm actually selling mine though since I carry a purse taht's the same size. I'm still debating though..

Let me know if you'd like some action shots or comparisons.

Good luck!

Samantha

Rach3975
06-24-2006, 02:52 AM
I second the Land's End Little Tripper recommendation! It's lightweight, well organized, and has 2 external sippy/bottle holders. You can shorten the adjustable strap to wear it tote-style, if that's your preference.