PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy another shopping cart cover?

cchavez
06-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I bought a shopping cart cover for DS when he was 7 months old and he is now 3....we used it frequently and it is still in good shape except it is missing the safety strap. It is black gingham and was made by cover4 kids. Well, DD is approaching the 6 month mark and I will need to use a cart cover with her. I do need to purchase another safety strap and I was thinking a pillow would be nice since she is not sitting up on her own. If I order just the safety strap from C4K it is probably a 10.00 purchase w/ shipping...adding on the pillow would make it about 20.00 shipped. For that price I am thinking maybe I should just buy another cart w/ all the bells and whistles and in a girly print. What would you do? ETA: I know I wouldn't be able to find a cushy cover for 20.00 but if I am going to spend 20.00 for replacement parts then maybe I should just spend the extra money and get a new cover.....
I did find an ebay seller that sells just safety straps for about 7-8.00 shipped so should I just go the cheaper route?? I know I can also purchase safety straps at a craft store but they have never worked well for me.....and is a pillow really necesarry or just something else to cart around....I already have my hands full!!!

DAKnits
06-19-2006, 12:17 PM
The only decent shopping cart cover that I've found that costs $20 is the Original Clean Shopper, which I happen to like for my 22 month old. It's not really cushy, but it is padded enough -- but doesn't come with a pillow. For $20, I don't *think* you can find a cart cover with a pillow that's really cushy, so you might be better offf just buying the strap and pillow for the one you have. You can also probably find a cute little pillow that matches your cart cover at Beth, Bath, and Beyond -- but, I'm not sure how much cheaper it will be than getting the exact matching one.

priscilla73
06-21-2006, 01:42 AM
You could just do what I did.... buy a strap/belt (webbing?) from Walmart for about $2 and the "no sew" buckles also from Walmart and thread that through the belt holes. While you are at it, add a little clip to the strap/belt that will clip to the shopping cart and secure the cover to the cart so you don't have to ever thread the belt through the cart wires. Also available at Walmart fabric/craft section. It's about a $5 fix.

That said, I'd probably still just buy cute girly one.

Tondi G
06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
I'd probably be a sucker and buy a new girly one! But thats me! You can probably sell it over on swap when you are done with it too! Feel like splurging????

There are just so many fun fabrics out there!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

MommyAllison
06-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Just a note on the pillow- I got one for my DD and it is the bane of my shopping existence ;) she is constantly throwing it overboard! We end up finishing our shopping, then walking back through the store to find the pillow. *sigh* My advice: the pillow is great, but sew a loop into the seam so you can connect it with links to the cover. GL!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

samantha546
06-26-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm lazy and so I'd just buy a new one. Plus I'm a shopaholic ;) We have a floppy seat- which is for highchairs and shopping carts, but it was so bulky to carry around into restaurants so I just bought an Eddie Bauer highchair cover. Love it! The Eddie Bauer one is compact and easy to tote around-- but it's only for highchairs.. But I figure with the Floppy, I can always grab a shopping cart to my car and so no need to lug it around. :)

My two cents :)

emilys_mom
07-02-2006, 09:26 AM
We have the Buggy Bag. It came with a pillow (strap attached with velcro so DD could toss it over, but thankfully it wouldn't hit the ground). I love ours, but it was $65 and she only used the pillow for a month or two (then it got put in the closet with everything else). Do you think you might use the pillow longer than we did?

Tanya
07-03-2006, 11:26 PM
My shopping cart cover came with a pillow and I doubt I used it more than a couple times. It was just something else to remember, carry, etc. You can always just shove your purse in there if she starts falling asleep and really, my daughter only fell asleep a couple times, so it was difficult to guess whether it was worth taking the pillow in the store or not. Of course, my girl was always interested in what was happening around her, so she had to be flat out exhausted to fall asleep in an exciting place like the grocery store.

My other thought was to make a little girly pillow if you really wanted one. It would be easy enough to go with black gingham. Or, you could just buy one of those little travel pillows if you really think you want a pillow.

I'd probably just make the safety strap too, but I enjoy sewing.

Tanya