PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide for DH...Jack Spade or LL Bean or ?

AngieInAR
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
I am trying to find a good "daddy diaper bag" for DH. It will be for a newborn. I don't think he'll want a backpack. I have seen good reviews of both the Jack Spade Field Bag and the LL Bean Diaper Bag. Between the two, what would you recommend? I would say functionality is slightly more important than looks, but he will want something simple that doesn't stand out too much. (no crazy prints for him)

If you have other recommendations, I'd love to hear them. I have looked at many of the bags discussed in previous threads and haven't ruled out the Skip Hop Dash or Marshall Bag or Lexie Barnes Darling either...

Just so many choices! Thanks!

Angie

tg_canada
07-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Is this the Jack Spade one you were referring to? http://www.jackspade.com/greenest/messenger08/index.html

If price is a consideration, that one is $185, whereas the L.L.Bean large Travel Touring bag is $29...

Just FYI, the "official" diaper bag from L.L.Bean is not available anymore this year, BUT the large size travel touring bag on this page http://tinyurl.com/7qkfg is the exact same bag as the diaper bag, just without the change pad.

We own the L.L.Bean bag, I ordered the diaper bag version in powder blue and DH thought it looked a little feminine. Then, L.L.Bean came out with some new colours for their travel touring bag, so I sent bag my diaper bag and got the travel touring bag in Tarragon (light green). DH likes the colour much better and said he is fine with carrying something in that colour. He thinks the bag is a nice bag. We haven't used it yet though as babe isn't here yet.

AngieInAR
07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
This is actually the one I was looking at, but I think except for the changing pad, it's very similar. This one is $125.

http://modernseed.stores.yahoo.net/dadfieldbag.html

Price is not really a concern because this will be one of his Christmas gifts this year. I just want to have the most functional, stylish bag I can find that he will like. He is not trendy and dresses pretty conservative, so something basic will be the best. He gets very frustrated trying to find things so I need lots of compartments!!!

Thanks for the insight about LL Bean, I was wondering why I couldn't find the diaper bag on their site!

Angie

audball
07-12-2006, 02:43 PM
DH went through a bunch of Timbuk2 messenger bags before he took my choice (the Jack Spade Dad Field Bag). I was drawn to it because of it's simple styling. I knew DH was a "minimalist" and he would appreciate it as well. I purchased it in black for him, even though I was dying to try the khaki/orange combo... :)

He likes the bag a lot - so much so that it's his work bag now as well. He can fit everything from workout stuff to computer and it stays nicely organized. It has a minimum number of pockets (two, non-insulated side bottle pockets in the interior, and one or two pockets on either side of the interiors? I will have to check because we are on vacation), but this has worked really well for our 4 year old and 2 year old. Even when DD was younger and in dipes, he could carry everything no problem. I think fewer pockets works better, as you can organize small things into smaller pouches (there are some great plain cosmetic cases at target for this purpose that DHs can still use)and only grab what you need depending on your activity.

Personally, I felt it was worth the money. I have a few diaper bags and I love choosing a bag for the week, but DH wanted something simple and a "no-brainer". The bag is easy to clean, looks great, and isn't heavy. I actually thought about stealing it, but decided he needed something for himself :).

The dadgear brand looks great too. www.dadgear.com