PDA

View Full Version : Calling all organized moms! How do I stop carrying a purse?

scarletsmommy
07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I am expecting #2 in 2 months and am already tired of carrying around my purse and DD's diaper bag. I have been reading that alot of you just get a diaper bag big enough to put your essentials in. B/c I go to the Y to work out and the church nursery, I would be uncomfortable leaving my personal items in there. Can anyone recommend a small clutch/wristlet/bag that would hold my HUGE cell (TRIO), keys, wallet, and lip gloss but also fit easily into a diaper bag? I want something that is attractive enough to carry into church with me and preferrably something with a strap. If it had slots for my ID, CC's, cash, etc., that would be a bonus.

Last night my search turned up a post about www.emmiesworld.com. After brousing the site, I was unsure if that bag would be large enough for my needs. I know it says you can customize the size, but I was just hoping to find something already made big enough. Maybe my expectations are too high. I would love to hear from anyone with an idea/solution.

BTW, I will be ordering a JuJuBe snack capsule and sippy rocket soon - thanks to all the recommendations I have seen here! I am so excited about the possibility of having a diaper bag that isn't sticky from DD's cup spilling! Yahoo!!!

hudsonam
07-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Ida from Emmie's World is great. I'm sure if you email her, she can not only make you something big enough, but help you decide how big you'll need. I love my diaper case from her.

I have an Oi Oi Hobo that has worked out great as my work bag/purse as well as my diaper bag. It came with a big, clear zipper pouch which I use for some of my stuff, but I don't think it would quite fit everything you described. Plus being that it's clear, it doesn't offer much privacy. ;)

The 2 Red Hens diaper case would probably fit all that. Actually, so would a standard Emmie case too. I'm not sure how big your phone is though.

Good luck!

patti_b
07-12-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't like carrying 2 bags either.

A Brighton clutch wallet or organizer might work well for you. I have a clutch wallet and LOVE it. It has a detachable strap to wear it either over my shoulder or messenger style. In the middle of it, there is a narrow pouch (about 3/4") that holds my Razr phone (very skinny) and a skinny lipstick. It would fit a few other skinny items, but that's all I have in it. I switch it between diaper bags and purses constantly. I can strap it on and leave the diaper bag behind on the stroller. When I go on short errands, it's all I take.

It doesn't sound like your phone would fit in this size, though, and the organizer size might work better. The organizer is more like a very small stand-alone purse. It would fit in a large diaper bag or tote to consolidate. Then when you leave the diaper bag to work out or whatever, just grab the organizer. Or, the clutch size might work if you wore your phone on a belt case or in your pocket. That's what I did before I upgraded to my Razr phone and sometimes still do for quicker access.

I got the smaller size b/c I wanted to be able to put it in smaller and medium sized purses as well.

Here's a link to Brighton. I believe they do not sell online. I've also seen other brand organizers at department stores. I think one was Fossil for about $40.

http://www.brightonretail.com/store/wishlist.php?m=category_list&d=D

This is the one I have:

http://www.brightonretail.com/store/wishlist.php?m=product_detail&p=T30059

sophiesmom
07-12-2006, 09:54 PM
On Mommieswithstyle.com I saw something called the Pursinizer. Check it out may work for you! I'm thinking of one, but convinced no matter what I buy I'll never stay organized! ha ha

boogiemom
07-13-2006, 09:05 AM
I don't know exactly what size you are looking for but I found this about 8 months ago and have been using it ever since. I love it!
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1477355

Good Luck!

scarletsmommy
07-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks so much. I have the Brighton wallet/purse but couldn't shove my phone in it last night when I tried. It (phone) is in a protective case b/c it has that huge screen that can get scratched, but I'm going to try later. I am afriad it still won't work b/c I still have to cram my keys in there.

I am VERY tempted to get a new phone but DH would KILL ME!! I got this one as a gift for Christmas. I hate it!!!! The organizer part of the phone is great but the phone part drives me crazy! I can't hear a thing and trying to get a number out of the address section is a nightmare. But, that's not what this post is about so I digress...

The bag from overstock looks promising. It's has a very tailored look that would work for church.

I have been toying with the idea of the 2 red hens bag but am concerned about the short strap. I don't want to end up getting something else I won't like. My DH is losing his patience about all this. Thanks to all the PP's! If anyone else has ideas feel free to add!

patti_b
07-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Maybe you need to "accidentally" drop your phone. Maybe it will stop working! I actually upgraded my phone to fit the wallet. I had it for about 2 years, so the battery was going to die soon anyway. Cingular was running a $49 after rebate special on the Razr.

saschalicks
07-14-2006, 12:21 PM
I just ordered the large Purznizer. I'm very excited about this. It looks like it might be big enough.

hudsonam
07-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Oh my gosh! How cute is that!

scarletsmommy
07-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Where did you find yours? I tried the link on Mommies with style site and it kept giving me an error screen. Thanks.

MNmomtobe
07-14-2006, 08:58 PM
I have been looking to find a solution to this also. I don't carry a purse. I have been stuffing all my "mom" things in the front of my LE LT. This isn't going to work for me when my maternity leave is over and I'm back at work! I have been looking for a small purse/organizer thing that can fit in a diaper bag that I can also carry alone if DD is not with me.
I found a neat little bag the other day at a luggage store at the mall. It is called the Baggallini Wallet Bagg II. It's also available on Ebags.com
Of course, it won't fit in the LE LT. I guess I'll have to get a nice new bigger diaper bag....sigh, oh well...:)

DAKnits
07-14-2006, 10:20 PM
I checked out the Purznizer and it looks like something I could use to keep all my stuff in, and would allow me to switch bags easier. I can't decide on size, though! I am hoping the small or medium would fit my checkbook, small wallet, coupons, keys, cell phone, and a few extraneous small items, like tylenol and extra contacts -- anyone have one of these already who can give real life experience with the bag?

table4three
07-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks to this thread, I just bought one too.

Here is the link:
http://www.purznizer.com/

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

patti_b
07-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I just got the smaller Baggallini Wallet Bagg. It actually holds a lot more than you might think and is stuffable, yet slim enough to jam into the side pocket of a diaper bag. You might want to check it out. I used it yesterday for the first time and was able to put my phone, digital camera (small but not ultra-small), sunglasses, 2 lipsticks, kleenexes, cards & cash in it. I could have put a little more in it, I just didn't need anything else. I think a small compact and couple makeup items would also fit. There were a couple pockets I didn't even have anything in. I really like it and can't believe how much it holds for how compact it is. It's very well organized. I thought it was waterproof though, and took it to the sprayground (water playground) and the stuff inside got a little moist, not wet enought to damage anything, though.

Edited to add: Sorry, this is supposed to be under MNmomtobe. I don't know how it ended up here.

patti_b
07-21-2006, 12:13 PM
deleted

patti_b
07-21-2006, 12:16 PM
deleted

MNmomtobe
07-22-2006, 02:13 AM
I saw this bag but wasn't sure it would be big enough. Can you wear it on your shoulder with the widest end of the bag up (so that the front zipper pocket is sideways)? or do you have to wear it with the smaller end up? I would want to wear it so that it opens from the top and not the sides to access my stuff. Does this make any sense?

patti_b
07-22-2006, 07:39 AM
You can wear it either horizontally or vertically and also around your waist. I just looked at the picture of it on Ebags and it really isn't the best display of what it holds. The middle part, between the two zippered pockets, is where a camera goes, and they just show it with paper in that spot.

tiapam
07-22-2006, 10:32 PM
LeSportsac makes some mini bags:

http://www.lesportsac.com/external/minibags.html

The Sallie looks promising. It looks like it would be easy to stuff into another bag.

In their regular handbags, the Kiki also looks like it might work:

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7614_5205.html

-Pam

DD - One year old!

MNmomtobe
07-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks Patti! I just ordered the smaller wallet bagg from shoebuy. I think this size will work for me and should actually fit in my LE LT and still allow me to pack lots of other stuff. Thanks! :)

scarletsmommy
07-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Okay everyone, I ended up getting a Fleurville Escape Pod for my stuff and a skip hop duo for DD's stuff. I've been using it for a few days and so far so good. The escape pod is larger than I expected but I still have plenty of room in the Dash for it.

I just wanted to update everyone and I will keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks!!!!

MNmomtobe
07-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Okay my wallet bagg arrived last week and it fits perfectly in the front zip pocket of my LE LT. This will work out great. The only thing I don't like about it is that it tips forward when wearing it as a purse because the strap attachments are in the back. This is minor though and I think this will serve my purpose great! I can always just put the bagg directly into a real purse when DD won't be with me. Thanks! :)

patti_b
07-31-2006, 04:10 PM
So glad it worked for you! I really like mine.