PDA

View Full Version : What are you using these days as your everyday bag, and why do you love it, and what do you wish was different?

DAKnits
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I asked this question a while ago, and now so many new bags have come out, I'm wondering if your answer has changed!

I *just* bought and started using the Fleurville Sling Tote in Gold Flower as my everyday bag for my 23 month old toddler. Today I was able to fit a small cooler of food inside the bag (taking out the removeable bottle cooler) since DD is such a picky eater. If I didn't have to bring the cooler, I would be able to bring the LB Darling, LE LT, or even my Overland Donner as an every day bag, but the cooler really limits me. I just purchased a Dash so I don't know if I would love using that as an everyday bag as well, and I am curious to see how the Dash compares to the ST.

So far, I really like my ST. Unlike some others, truly I do not find the ST is heavy AT ALL, and in fact, I am finding that it's one of the most comfortable bags I own, and I own a LOT! LOL!!!! I love the fabric, even though it's vinyl, it's so flexible and pliable which is a nice surprise. My only complaint is that I would have liked the Mommy section to be more more easily accessible in a separate organizer panel on the outside of the bag, like on the LE LT or Overland Donner. Also, I am used to outside bottle pockets, which I do miss, but I am keeping DD's sippy in an elastic pocket on the inside. I haven't found it difficult to get her sippy or my stuff, but it's not as easily accessible as on the LE LT, for example.

So what are you using, why does it work for you, and what do you wish was different?

turtlejd
07-18-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm using my OiOi Hobo as my everyday bag. It's great because it doesn't look like a diaper bag, is very stuffable yet looks okay when it's not very full, and my favorite part is that it can be worn like a messenger or tote. It's great! I'm just currently eyeing some lighter colors in the same bag, I have a black one and it's been so hot here that I want something summery. :)

chiqanita
07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
I recently purchased the Overland Trinidad and I love it! Did I say I loved it!? I mean I LOVE IT! So does DH. I have 22 m.o. twins. I can fit everything I need for a whole day's outing: 2 tall water sippies, 2 milk bottles in a small thermo bag, 4 size 6 diapers, wipees, ointment, small blanket for changing, 2 snack traps, baggies of dried apple and extra crackers, 2 bananas, tissue, 6 small cars, 2 books, my small CC holder, lipgloss, cell phone, antibacterial, sunblock, lotion, and a water bottle for me.

Prior to this bag I had an Eddie Bauer DB. Looking into the Overland Skyscraper for DH for his days with DSx2.

DAKnits
07-19-2006, 12:12 AM
You might want to also consider the Overland Prosport ... it got great reviews by one of the babybags members, and there are pictures of it in the Files section, too. I have an Overland Noho that I had been using until now, which works soooooo well as a diaper bag! If the ST has the exact same organization as the Noho, it would be my dream bag! I would keep using the Noho but I miss the pretty factor that the ST has ;-). Also, the Noho is bigger and I don't need all of that room on a daily basis unless I am going out for an all day activity which is rare these days since we have to go home for nap.

The Overland Donner is my quick trip bag, and I LOVE it! I'll use that bag as my daily bag when I no longer need a fully stocked diaper bag!

Kearstenn
07-19-2006, 07:21 PM
I use an old Fleurville Alpha 7 - which I absolutely love and a Sally Spicer, which totally lack organization! I'm expecting number two in 6 weeks, and shopping for new bags...and having a blast doing it!

chubbycheeks
07-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Right now I am loving my Loom Bandicoot, I think it is my favorite bag by far (I have/had a ST, Darling, Marsupial, Dash, A7, VB Villager). But I am awaiting my Overland Noho to arrive (thanks Rachel for the suggestion) and am also toying with getting a T2 Cargo Tote and Overland Donner. I love the outside pockets of the Loom, and the fact that it is a messanger style bag. Those are the two things that so far I find I can't do without.

DAKnits
07-21-2006, 01:58 PM
I have read some rave reviews of the Loom, and some who really disliked the Joey hitting against the bag as they walked, or who didn't like that the Joey, with your wallet in it, is on the outside of the bag. I guess you could always keep your wallet in the backpack, and use the Joey for everything but your wallet, and if you have to detach it and go, just add your wallet in there.

Do you find that the Joey flaps around and is annoying? Can you fit a small cooler in there, along with a toy bag, cloth bib and burp cloth, dry food snack container, and a diapees and wipees (or Emmies case) with diapering supplies?

THANKS!

hudsonam
07-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I too use my Hobo all the time now. I love it!

mattysmom
07-21-2006, 03:31 PM
I voted for "other" since I use my Fleurville Mini Sling Tote - it's the perfect size for me since most of our outings are shorter ones. I keep waterbottles for both boys, diapers, wipes and a few misc. things. I love that I can clip my keys onto it, the nice mommy pocket, and as I already wrote, the size is so nice - not too big and not too small. I'm already looking forward to new patterns in the fall (I hope!) so I can get another one (I have the Ogo)

chubbycheeks
07-21-2006, 07:13 PM
>I have read some rave reviews of the Loom, and some who
>really disliked the Joey hitting against the bag as they
>walked, or who didn't like that the Joey, with your wallet in
>it, is on the outside of the bag. I guess you could always
>keep your wallet in the backpack, and use the Joey for
>everything but your wallet, and if you have to detach it and
>go, just add your wallet in there.
>
>Do you find that the Joey flaps around and is annoying? Can
>you fit a small cooler in there, along with a toy bag, cloth
>bib and burp cloth, dry food snack container, and a diapees
>and wipees (or Emmies case) with diapering supplies?
>
>THANKS!

I actually don't use the Joey at all, it sits in my closet. I presonally like the look of the bag better without it. I don't know that you could fit a small cooler, maybe one like a small bottle cooler, but not a lunch box type for sure. You would probably be able to fit all you listed.. here what I pack:

Two outer bottle pockets - sippys

long pocket along the inner back - hard wipes case and a Vera Bradley wristlet

front inner pocket- checkbook

second front inner pocket - things like tissues, tylanol, band aids

main body of the bag- two diapers in a wet bag, rolled up thin blanket I use as a change mat, and a small cosmetic case full of toys, as well as a small bag of snacks

DAKnits
07-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that info ... I think the Loom is just too small for every day. I have a TON of small bags that will fit all my items except the cooler, and a TON Of big bags for marathon days or travel.

Really the only bags getting any use these days are my medium/large bags that can accomodate a small cooler, since DD is the pickiest eater born in the Universe. I already have the FV ST, Overland Noho, LL Bean Diaper bag, my newly purchased Dash (just arrived today, I haven't yet packed it up), and LB Darling, that can all pretty much serve that purpose, so I guess I have a TON of medium bags, too! I've have got to stop trying out bags -- I tend to like them all for different reasons and find reasons to keep them, LOL!!!!

mom2jacknkatie
07-23-2006, 12:50 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Darling! (Lookwise, I love my ST in Floral Sky, and I didn't think it was that heavy either until I got the Darling.) The cup/bottle holders on the outside are very convenient. The bright color and piping on the pockets on the inside makes it easy to find things. I find it more stuffable than the ST. Last, I love the little handle--I can grab it and go when I'm in a hurry. And with three little ones, I'm always in a hurry. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a built-in clip or hook for my keys, but that's easy enough to remedy. Oh, and I also like the cushy changing pad which I keep in the outside pocket separate from eveything else.
I have to say I have always been a tote-style-bag kind of girl, but I've since converted due to the Darling.

mama4jc
07-23-2006, 02:09 PM
I vote other - just got the North Face Isabella and I really like it! There are sooo many pockets and 2 big compartments! It also has organizers inside the compartments, a bungee for strapping on jackets and blankets and side, vented pockets for water bottles. It also comes in cute colors and helps me to be hands-free, which is so essential now that I have 2 kids under 2. It is designed for a woman so the straps are placed closer together which makes carrying the bag such a breeze! Plus, after kids, you can use it as a regular bag since it's not a baby bag. HTH!

JenniferMC1971
07-26-2006, 09:05 AM
I was using a LE LT for about 9 months, then I got a LB Darling because I wanted something more stylish and a little bit bigger. I love it! I also like all the pockets inside, and the two pockets on the outside. It can hold a lot, too. I took it on vacation and stuffed it with toys and such to keep DD entertained during our flight. I love my Lime Rickey print (green and yellow).

-Jennifer, mom to Brigid, born 9/14/05

turtlejd
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
mama4jc

Glad to see you got the North Face Isabella and you're liking it! :)

Joyce

MarieBunny
07-26-2006, 03:19 PM
I am using a JuJuBe Packabe and I love it because it has room for anything I need to stuff in there, although sometimes when fully packed can be a bit bulky and heavy. I recently took out my Little Tripper for a walk to the park with DS. I just needed a few items and the Packabe was excessive. I have to say, I love how compact and lightweight it is. I definitely plan to use it more for short outings!

new_mommy25
07-27-2006, 12:14 AM
I've been using the Skip Hop Dash exclusively. I thought it wouldn't be big enough for two kids since I CD, but it has been more than enough. I am a pretty light packer.

livepink
07-27-2006, 02:08 PM
I am currently using the Bumble Bag Madeline and I love it. I was using the Chester Backpack but it was starting to get a little small for me. I am thinking about getting a JuJu BeAll in a new pattern.

So far I have tried, Overland Donner, Babystyle Undiaper Bag, Sling Tote, Bumble Jessica, JUJUBE Packabe, PPB, and a few others I can't remember.

Any good ideas?

Alyson

ellies mom
07-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Shoot! I meant to vote for the Sling Tote but I voted for the Dash instead. I mostly use my Sling Tote. It is the bag that lives in the car so I use it when I use the stroller I keep in the car and just to carry around. I miss the outside bottle/venti latte holder that that SkipHop Duo has and I wish the o-rings were a little less stretchy. Other than those minor things, I love this bag.

I still really like my SkipHop Duo. It lives on my jogging stroller. The only problem I had with the SkipHop was that it was annoying to carry around as a messenger bag. I think the new connector strap accessories would help with the hassle of switching between the "stroller" and "messenger"

DAKnits
08-06-2006, 12:39 AM
I just wanted to update and say that I got my Dash and I really love the organization of it, and the outside bottle pockets and two front pockets really make it easy to get at the items I am always taking out of my bag (sippy, cell phone, camera, small wallet). The strap isn't half as comfortable as the Sling Tote, but I ordered a strap pad by Manhattan Portage that was recommended to me, and I'm hoping it makes a big difference.

I really love how comfortable the Sling tote is, and since I only carry one sippy with me (and no bottle), not having outside bottle pockets is fine, but still, I do like having everything just a little bit more accessible and the Dash really makes it easy to find everything. I still love the Sling Tote though! And to me, because it's so comfortable to wear, it actually feels lighter than the Dash when packed. The strap pad on the Dash may change my opinion though, I'll have to see.

glamourgirlpink
08-06-2006, 01:57 AM
I LOVE my OiOi hobo! It is the best bag ever! I love it because:
1.it is stylish and a bit glam
2.well constructed
3.waterproof and so easy to maintain
4.has enough room (even for a heavy packer like me!)
5.has an awesome adjustable, comfortable, durable strap
6.is so reasonably priced!
After trying a few different brands, I thought I was a Fleurville girl, but now I'm absolutely, without a doubt, addicted to OiOi! I'm thinking of picking up the brown tweed hobo, charcoal dot tote, and charcoal dot messenger now...

floridamommy
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
I was using a Fleurville Mothership ( I am a heavy packer) and have 3 of them. I really liked them, but then I jumped on the Lexie Barnes boat and have been using my Maikiko Superster exclusively for the past 2 months. I have to say that I do prefer it as a "big" bag to the MS b/c it is lighter. I only wish the LB patterns were a bit better. I have not fallen in love with any of the previous or current patterns. IF LB offered patterns like Posh Baby Ultimate(Amy Butler designs, etc) I would be in HEAVEN!