PDA

View Full Version : Sling Tote VS. Hobo

Kearstenn
07-28-2006, 04:46 AM
OK...I'm definetly getting one of these bags! I have a 2&1/2 year old son in dipes and a newborn coming in Sept. I've pre-ordered the Packabe for long outings (at least, I hope it's good for long outings!) and I need an everyday running around bag.

What do you think...which one would you go with???

Just a note...a love the reviews about the LB Darling...just don't like the patterns I've found!

TIA!!!

Kear

nfowife
07-28-2006, 08:11 AM
The sling tote is more structured (not as floppy) but it is also a lot heavier. It is a bit more organized becuase of the outside pockets (mommy pocket in the front, open pocket in the back for either storing the tote straps or storing more stuff- on my mini tote I put 2 dipes, soft wipes pack, disposable changing pad in it). The interior is about the same in terms of #'s of pockets, and both have a removeable insulated bottle holder. The Hobo is much more lightweight but not structured (well, some of the fabrics are more structured than others I think- like the herringbone would be more structured). It only has the single strap that can adjust to short for tote style or long for messenger. It doesn't have the stroller attachment rings but if you lengthen the strap you can hang it over your stroller handles anyway. I love the look of the mini tote but it is just so heavy and not hugely packable IMO for the size. Of the 2, I prefer the hobo. I now use the mini tote for my 15 month old but will be putting it away for a while when #2 arrives as it will be too small!

marshmallow
08-23-2006, 11:33 AM
I haven't seen a hobo in person, but I do own the sling tote.
I really like mine. It carries everything I need, plus I can put some toys in it too. I did take out the insulated bottle holder though - it took up too much room and I didn't use it that often. Fresh breast milk keeps at room tempurature longer than a new baby can go without food anyway.

I carry a couple bottles with water in them (if I'm somewhere I won't have water) and the avent formula dispenser.
receiving blanket, hat, cell phone, sun glasses, keys wallet, travel sized vaseline, lip gloss, hand sanitizer, 5 diapers, wipe case, change pad (not the dinky one that came with it), an extra outfit, sun tan lotion, a couple small toys, jar of food, spoons, bags for disposing diapers.

I really like it. It does 'just fit' in the small basket of my maclaren stroller, and the tote handles are the perfect length to hang over the stroller handles. I've had good use from the 5 metal feet on the bottom that keep the bottom from getting marked up & worn.
I have the floral sky, and the few things I don't like about it are:
the tote handles are uncomfortable over my shoulder.
the attachable messenger strap makes the sweater I'm wearing pill.
The inside fabric is dark brown and it's hard to see in there sometimes.
the messenger strap should have a little compartment for soothers etc.

Oh, and the rings for attaching it to a stroller -- Because of the style strollers i have I haven't used it yet, but in the future it will be handy.

scarletsmommy
08-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Another vote for the sling tote. I just recently got a used one off of babybags. The organization is wonderful! I am expecting DS in less than 3 weeks, so I decided to try it out this week to see if I like it. It's like the bottomless bag. It seems like I can just keep pilling stuff in.

Here's what I've got in there now:

In the Mommy pocket: wallet, keys, PDA cell phone, sample size lotion, calender, check book, 2 lip glosses, and a pen

Large Zipper Compartment: sippy cup, a dozen cookies inside plastic container like they sell at Winn Dixie (had a play group this morning), snack trap, plastic bowl of spare snacks, fruit juice snacks, travel pack of wet ones, 4 disposable bibs, Emmies Case, soft pack of wipes, 2 size 4 diapers, changing pad that came with bag, bath and body antibacterial gel, hydrocortisone cream, desitin, tums, tiny diner place mat

Outside Pocket: change of clothes size 2T, and plenty of room for more stuff

Wow, that even suprised me as I kept pulling stuff out. Obviously, I won't be carrying the cookies regularly, but I think you get the idea about it being a "bottomless" bag. I also really like that it's covered in a plastic type material. DD had a PBJ for lunch and I wasn't paranoid about keeping her away from her bag while she was eating.

HTH!

SammyeGail
08-25-2006, 12:58 AM
My ST is my favorite bag. I have 9 month old twin boys and I can stuff it pretty well, we usually take 4 diapers and leave extra in the car.

I also like Lexie Barnes bags, I have the Darling and the Superstar, I would say a Sling Tote's size is in between the LB bags. One of mine is in a discontinued print I bought used, the current prints I am not very crazy about either, hopefully they will come out with some new ones this fall. LBs are a little lighter that Fleurvilles, that can be a major plus for some, but I've found when any diaper bag is fully packed, they all are heavy!

My Sling Tote is Gold Floral with brown trim. I had an Ogo print with light gray interior, I wanted the ligher interior purposely, but then was afraid of getting it dirty so I sold it, lol!! I love the print I have now and I think it will be a good 'fall' bag.

Good luck!

Samantha

Good luck

CiderLogan
08-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Another vote for the ST! I love mine! It holds everything I need for an almost-3-yo (both while using pullups and now that she's potty trained: I still carry extra panties and shorts) and a newborn (now 3 months). There is room to spare (although I BF so that does save lots of room).

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
I LOVE my Sling Tote! I have the Black Ballistic, so it has a black interior. I used it almost exclusively from the time I got it until a month ago. I have several bags and the ST is the first one that has really "clicked." I can fit tons of stuff in there - diapering supplies go inside - each with its own pocket. The interior fits toys, books, snacks. I put my mommy stuff in the front pocket (except my wallet, which I often put in the interior. Mine is one of the older ones, so you can't take out the bottle pocket. I usually bring a sippy cup or bottle for my toddler so it's no big deal. But the new ones have the removable bottle sleeve... I love that it stands! I tend to use it tote style mostly and I have used the O rings, although I often just drape it over my stroller with the messenger strap.

Right now I'm using a Mothership for my 2 under 2. I needed the extra space as both are in diapers and I carry my Hotsling around. But DH still uses the ST as his bag!