PDA

View Full Version : Desperately Seeking Messenger Style Diaper Bag - Advice Needed!

Calla
07-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Hello ladies!

I'd love your suggestions on what bag to get.

I'm looking for
- Something I can wear messenger style
- Not much wider than my back (I'm 5'2)
- Holders for two sippy cups that can be easily reached while holding both baby and bag
- Not too flowery or flashy
- Somewhere logical to fit my wallet and keys

Any suggestions? Budget is open, I'll pay more if you tell me the extra money is worth it for better functioning!

suzhatch1
07-30-2006, 08:31 PM
These are a few of my favorite medium size messengers. Maybe one of these would work:

- Skip Hop Dash (very neutral, solid canvas color messenger bag w/4 easy to reach exterior pockets).

- Lexie Barnes Darling (they have a couple solid patterns - Stealth & Clover. The exterior bottle pockets can accomodate almost any size bottle!)

- Oi Oi Hobo (several non-flowery prints & the bag looks sleek & sophisticated, much like like purse. 2 exterior pockets are great for sippys or bottles).

- StorkSak Donna (Super stylish, 2 hidden zipper pockets for bottles/sippies that are at an angle & really easy to get at when holding a baby. The messenger strap is a little shorter than some of the other bags, just because this one adjusts in increments rather than on a slider, so I found that at it's longest, it was just barely the right fit for me...but then again, I'm tall 5' 7", so on a shorter person it should hang messenger style just fine).

- Loom Marsupial (easy to reach exterior bottle pockets that are insulated and well padded).

HTH!
Suz :)

Calla
07-31-2006, 12:35 PM
I've been doing some browsing of past responses to similar questions -- is there any reason that the JuJuBe BeAll isn't on your list?

suzhatch1
07-31-2006, 01:01 PM
I've played w/a JJB Be All at a store before, but haven't actually owned one. The organization is great, tons of pockets & compartments, but it's a tad boxy and the weight of the bag is heavier than comparable bags of it's size. Those are the reasons I personally didn't list it. :)

Kearstenn
07-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Hi Suz,
What do you think of the StorkSak Donna compared to the Hobo? I have a 2 & 1/2 year old, still in dipes and a newborn on the way. I'm thinking in about 6 months if I need to go back to work, one of these would be stylish enough to accomplish both mommy and work tasks! What do you think?

Hopefully DS #1 is out of dipes by then! Oh, and I tend to be a light packer.

Thanks!
Kear

suzhatch1
07-31-2006, 08:37 PM
I have the StorkSak Melanie (exactly like the SS Donna, but in the Pink/Tan print) and I also have an Oi Oi Hobo (actually I had 3, but figured that was a bit too much, even for me! LOL!)

The Melanie/Donna holds less than the Hobo, has a smaller opening to the main compartment & overall is a heavier bag. It has more leather & trim and is made of a heavier weight material. The black Donna is made of "nylon satin" (feels exactly like microfiber, maybe a tad thicker quality), and the Melanie is made of a canvas-like upholstery quality material.

If you are a light packer, you can probably get away w/the Donna. The Hobo holds a lot & I find it can hold almost as much as my Lexie Barnes Superstar. The Donna hold more like what can fit in my LB Darling.

IMO, they both are very stylish and neither one of them looks like a diaper bag (except maybe a few of the bright Hobo prints). Both has a sleek, almost purse-like quality and look to them. Probably the Melanie/Donna a little bit more so, if I had to pick. But the Hobo also has the solid black & the new Herrigbone tweed patterns that look nothing like diaper bags & would definately transition well as a work/everyday/large purse bag.

Suz :)

suzhatch1
07-31-2006, 08:38 PM
oops - delete - duplicate post - sorry

Kearstenn
08-01-2006, 05:34 AM
Hmmmm...sounds like maybe I should go with the Hobo until DS#1 is truly potty trained and we don't need to be prepared with extra clothes. I like the style better on the Donna, yet I'm trying to practical and get the best use out of the bag. Ugh! Of course, if the heat keeps going up here and I don't get out of the house soon...I may cave on both!!! :)

hudsonam
08-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I have a grey dot Hobo and love it. I was even using it as a work bag for a while. I think you'd love it.

patti_b
08-01-2006, 01:48 PM
If you have a Container Store where you live, check out the Nomadic Walker bags. They are incredibly organized. Today I just bought a messenger bag for $49 that is sort of Skip Hop Duo-like, only better, IMO. It's not a diaper bag, but I think it will work great as one and I think it's big enough for a long outing such as the zoo, etc. I also bought a really neat smaller ultra-organized Nomadic sling backpack/messenger that I plan on using as a quick trip bag. It's about the size of a Swagg I think. Apparently Nomadic bags are only sold at the Container Store and I can't find them online anywhere. If you're interested in knowing more, I'll take pics and post.

tiapam
08-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Is this the bag?

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?PRODID=67047&CATID=255

-Pam

DD - One year old!

patti_b
08-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Yes that's it - the large size. I searched their website but used Nomadic instead of Wise Walker. DUH! Should have thought to try that. I was able to pack a lot in it, including a 3 bottle cooler and Ergo carrier, though it was really stuffed w/ the Ergo. It's pretty vertical, like the Duo, so requires digging to get to the bottom, but "just in case" items like extra clothes, extra diapers can go there and pile other stuff on top. A really neat feature - at the top of the bag, on each side on the inside, there are zippered compartments about 4" in height for easy access for small things. One is an open space that would hold a wallet and the other has a bunch of smaller pockets to hold things like phone, Kleenexes, bib, small camera, Purell etc. That's the feature that I think makes it better than the Duo. I think it hangs very nicely messenger style. It's a pretty neat bag.

Ughh, I ate an espresso brownie right before bed and am wide awake at 1 a.m.

colegiala
08-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I was thinking of getting an Overland Donner for everyday. How does this Nomadi Walker bag compare to the Donner as far as size and organization?

MNmomtobe
08-15-2006, 12:45 AM
After much searching for the right diaper bag, I bought the Pottery Barn Ultimate diaper bag. Had been looking at it for a while but after receiving a PBK giftcard from a friend- saw it as a "sign" that I had to buy it :)
Didn't know if I would like it but love it so far. I also have a Lands'end Little Tripper which I also love but it's a wee bit too small.
The PBK Ultimate I have is chocolate with light blue trim. They also have chocolate with a bright pink trim, and I think a red one though I haven't seen the red IRL.
-It has large bottle pockets on either side which are also pretty deep.
-Can be worn messenger style- has a cushioned strap so it is very comfortable to carry.
-Also can be worn backpack style and the straps can be completely tucked away in the back pocket of the bag.
-Insulated removable bottle pocket on the inside that velcros to one side.
-Lots of inside pockets for organization including a large zippered pocket.
-This is my favorite part- the front flap closes with strong magnets. I was really looking for a top zip bag for security but this magnet style closure is so easy! I also didn't want a velcro closure since it they can be loud when opening and I find that they snag on clothes, blankets, and such. Anyway, this is a feature of this bag that I really love.

It came with a nice large changing pad but I am using my jj cole changing pad that fits in the outside back pocket (the one that the backpack straps tuck in to). I would have to carry the changing pad on the inside though if using this bag backpack style.

Oh, the dimensions are 13" wide, 10" high, and 6" deep. Holds a lot but doesn't look gigantic.

ETA: I forgot to mention that it has small metal feet on the bottom so it stands on its own.

patti_b
08-15-2006, 09:43 PM
They are bigger than the Donner which is 9.5x7x4 whereas the large Nomadic Walker is 15x11.5x4 and the medium one is 13.5x11x3.5. I haven't used the Donner but looked at it at the store, and the Nomadic has more pockets. One of the pockets at the top of the bag has a bunch of small pockets within it sized to hold small items like Kleenexes, Purell, etc. I really like all those little pockets, so I liked it better than the Donner or other Overlands. It's incredibly organized. The side pockets on the large one would fit Avent bottles, though tight, but the medium one would not. The ones on the medium would hold a small water bottle or skinnier baby bottle, or probably a sippy cup but I didn't try one. If you're concerned about it being too big, I think it is the type of bag that works as well packed lightly or heavily.

I'd offer to take pics but (feeling stupid here) I returned it. It wasn't that I decided I didn't like it, but just that I'd been on a real bag buying binge and started feeling guilty about not really needing it and it was redundant in size w/ a couple other bags. It held about the same amount of stuff as my Sling Tote. But if I had a need for it I'd buy it again. I really liked it a lot.

Patti

DAKnits
08-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Would you mind posting pictures of the PBU bag? The website has no interior shots, or even a shot of the back of the bag. THANKS!!!!

MNmomtobe
08-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi. I just started a new post with a link to some pictures I took.