PDA

View Full Version : LB Darling vs Oi Oi Hobo?

jennifer_d
08-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I know these are discussed in numerous posts, but DS is 28 months and DD is 9 months and our wireless is down so my computer time is super limited. Can anyone offer up a review/comparison of these two bags? I am looking for a good everyday bag; I've continued using my LE bags and SkipHop Duo since DD was born and none of them are partiuclary well suited to daily running about with two. I am a medium packer (2 in diapers, sippy cups, bottle, snacks etc) Not worried about cost. Considered SkipHop Dash and Fleurville SlingTote but these are my two final contenders. Thanks!

audball
08-08-2006, 09:51 PM
The OiOi Hobo holds a little more than the Darling (when I pack it at least). The colors for the LBs tend to be "love 'em" or "hate 'em". The hobo comes in conservative and louder colors.

I think the big difference is really how you pack and how you like your bag to look. The Darling, while not really diaper bag-ish, does look more like a diaper bag than the hobo. The hobo, while large, can still integrate in a post-baby wardrobe (again, depends on the pattern you choose).

Darling has more of a vertical layout, whereas the OiOi hobo seems to be more of a horizontal layout. The Darling can stand up on it's own if you pack it well (heavier things on the bottom). The lighter-colored interior is a nice touch since you don't have the "black hole" effect of not seeing anything. Interior pockets consist of two longer pockets on one side (suitable for wipes case and dipes) and 3 small pockets toward the top of the bag on the other (for cell phone, gum, chapstick, etc.). Zippered top is nice and the overall profile seems smaller to me than the hobo. Exterior bottle (mesh) pockets are adjustable. One large exterior pocket on the back (for a magazine, changing pad, etc.) and two pockets in the front (they tend to get narrow as you pack your bag, so you can't put super-thick items here - wipes case could be a tight squeeze). Great exterior laminated fabric - super easy to clean!

The hobo has a variety of different colors for the interior. Overall the bag is slouchier compared to the Darling, but it still holds it's shape ok. Internally, just one long pocket along one side of the bag, two pockets on the other. These pockets are saggy, so if you are a stickler for tight pockets, you may not like these. I found it to be great for stuffing things like extra clothes and tiny toys! Exterior side pockets are large enough to hold sippies and 4 oz Avents (not sure about 9oz ones). No other organization to the bag - but I like it's simplicity. The adjustable strap is fantastic - super comfortable and easy to adjust. Great change pad too - super cushy and larger than some. Also includes insulated, removable bottle holder and a wipes envelope (be aware though they take up a lot of room if you use them).

I love both for different reasons...The Darling is a great quick trip bag and the stroller straps make it easy to use with the stroller. But the hobo has a lot of room and I don't "dig" to find things like I do in the Darling.

suzhatch1
08-09-2006, 03:15 AM
ITA w/what Audrey said & can't really add too much more, other than just to reiterate again that the Darling is more boxy & square shaped, and holds less than the Hobo. The Hobo definately has a more sophisticated, streamlined look, IMO and I can actually pack almost as much into the Hobo as what fits into my LB Superstar.

The Hobo doesn't have any real exterior Mommy pockets, but it does have 2 sippy pockets on either end that have held all our sippy cups. And honestly, the exterior pockets on the Darling aren't that useful considering they flatten out when the bag is really stuffed so it's hard to get anything in those 2 front slat pockets. The mesh bottle pockets on the Darling are great if you want to carry large sippys or a Big Gulp....LOL!!

I love both of them, but just for different reasons.

Suz :)

hudsonam
08-09-2006, 07:55 AM
I can't really add much more to either of these replies. My Hobo didn't come with a wipes envelope, but rather a clear zipper pouch that I use for my stuff. In fact, I'm currently using it in my Vera purse. :) It makes switching bags very easy. I don't think that's what the pp was referring to, but maybe I'm using it incorrectly. :)

I was using my Hobo as a work bag too. I have the grey dot with lime interior. I love it way more then I expected to when I first got it. It also has metal feet on the bottom, which is nice. If I had to pick one, I think it would be the Hobo. One thing to consider is that I think the exterior of the Darling is more durable, or at least it seems like a bag you'd toss around more then the Hobo, but then again, the different Hobos have different materials. Mine can be scratched, while others are more durable from what I understand. I love the exterior bottle pockets on the Darling though. It's a very utilitarian bag, if that's the right word. Very functional. It's a toss up really. Sorry I couldn't be more help!