PDA

View Full Version : Pottery Barn Ultimate diaper bag review with pictures

MNmomtobe
08-17-2006, 12:34 AM
I hope this link works. I am reposting my review of this diaper bag from a previous post. I did include a picture of the back pocket of the bag with my jj cole changing pad in there. Actually, I think I would be able to still fit it in there when wearing this back-pack style but it may be a bit bulky. Anyway, here is my original post:

After much searching for the right diaper bag, I bought the Pottery Barn Ultimate diaper bag. Had been looking at it for a while but after receiving a PBK giftcard from a friend- saw it as a "sign" that I had to buy it :)
Didn't know if I would like it but love it so far. I also have a Lands'end Little Tripper which I also love but it's a wee bit too small.
The PBK Ultimate I have is chocolate with light blue trim. They also have chocolate with a bright pink trim, and I think a red one though I haven't seen the red IRL.
-It has large bottle pockets on either side which are also pretty deep.
-Can be worn messenger style- has a cushioned strap so it is very comfortable to carry.
-Also can be worn backpack style and the straps can be completely tucked away in the back pocket of the bag.
-Insulated removable bottle pocket on the inside that velcros to one side.
-Lots of inside pockets for organization including a large zippered pocket.
-This is my favorite part- the front flap closes with strong magnets. I was really looking for a top zip bag for security but this magnet style closure is so easy! I also didn't want a velcro closure since it they can be loud when opening and I find that they snag on clothes, blankets, and such. Anyway, this is a feature of this bag that I really love.

It came with a nice large changing pad but I am using my jj cole changing pad that fits in the outside back pocket (the one that the backpack straps tuck in to). I would have to carry the changing pad on the inside though if using this bag backpack style.

Oh, the dimensions are 13" wide, 10" high, and 6" deep. Holds a lot but doesn't look gigantic.

ETA: I forgot to mention that it has small metal feet on the bottom so it stands on its own.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/peonytulipgarden/detail?.dir=7929re2&.dnm=c0c8re2.jpg&.src=ph

ETA on 8/19: I had to mention that after trying this bag out backpack style, I did notice a flaw. The straps don't stay adjusted. They slip out of the metal adjuster thing. The straps should have been made from a thicker, more grippy fabric. I had to feed the straps back through the middle portion of the clip to get it to stay put. Hard to explain. I will try to post a close-up picture of the metal clip on the link above. Because of this backpack strap issue, I would say this bag would be better used messenger style or over the shoulder. Backpack style would be okay for me occassionally (with this bag) but not if I wanted to wear a backpack style every day.

ask_dec2005
08-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Okay I've resisted the temptation these many montha but now have fallen in love with this bag! Great description/info/pics.
Any info on whether this goes on sale or anything?
TIA.
Arati

DAKnits
08-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks so much for the great pictures and review! I wish the website would post those!!! Do you think a small two bottle cooler would fit on one side of the main compartment -- I usually pack the cooler on one side of my Skip Hop Dash, and then next to it, the toy bag, bib, burp cloth, and wipes case on the other side.

Again, thanks for the great information!!!!

DAKnits
08-17-2006, 10:36 PM
I just found this on fatwallet.com

10% off exp. 10/10/2006

potterybarnkids.com: 35528-43

pbteen.com: 59528-43

MNmomtobe
08-19-2006, 10:27 AM
What are the dimensions of your bottle cooler? This is not a large bag; I would say medium sized. Similar in size to the Skip Hop Dash. You can fit a lot more in the bag if you carry a changing pad in the outside pocket. I don't think the one that comes with would fit in the pocket though because of the way it folds up. I am using a jj cole changing pad which is large but folds up pretty small.

Patience100
08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Can anyone compare this bag to the Fling for me please?

MNmomtobe
08-20-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't have a SL Fling but it seems like it is similar in size to the PBK Ultimate. The dimensions of the Fling: 14 x 12 x 4. I have heard good things about the Fling. It can be used as a stroller bag also- and you don't have to remove the messenger strap like on the Skip Hop Dash. The one complaint I have heard about the Fling is that the bottle holders (on either side of the bag) are too narrow and don't hold wide bottles or most sippy cups. The price of both bags is about the same. The PBK Ultimate retails for $59.

smzapalac
08-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Great review. Does this bag have stroller attachments on it like the Skip Hop bags?

MNmomtobe
08-25-2006, 06:26 PM
No it does not. I usually just hang it over the handles by the messenger strap.

chrisg20
12-07-2006, 04:41 PM
You mentioned you also have a Little Tripper. Do you feel it has more room that that? I currently have a Little Tripper and am looking for something a bit bigger for #2 that is on the way.
Thanks!
Chris

MNmomtobe
12-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Sorry Chris. I just saw your post. Haven't been to this board in a while. Yes, I do feel that I can carry a bit more in the PBK Ultimate than the LE LT. I like the fact that the side bottle pockets are so large and deep I can stuff other things in there besides bottles. I can fit two skinny Dr. Browns in each pocket but never need to carry 4 bottles- so I end up stuffing other things in the other pocket. One thing I should mention though that BUGS me about this bag is the padding on the strap. It always flips around and bunches up. Other than that, I still really like the bag.