PDA

View Full Version : traveling to London - need a recommendation for a diaper bag that fits a lot!

adelaide
08-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm traveling to London in a couple of weeks with my husband and 14-month-old daughter. Due to the new travel restrictions, I can only bring on one carry-on bag (dimensions no larger than 17.7" x 13.7" x 6.2"). It's a 7-hour flight, plus we're advised to check in 3 hours early, so I'm very concerned about having enough milk/snacks/things to occupy my daughter. I recently weaned her and she'll only drink soy milk (cow's milk she may have a sip but she doesn't seem to like it) so I have to pack a fair amount of soymilk(I just have to take a sip from each one, per security). I'm looking for a diaper bag that will hold a lot. I have a small cooler that will hold 2 sippy cups/bottles. I'd like to put that in the diaper bag, plus I'd prefer the bag to have an insulated bottle holder for an additional bottle. I also need to pack:
- a change of clothes or two for my daughter
- diapers/wipes/changing pad
- a couple of board books
- a couple of small toys
- snacks (packed in small bowls or baggies)
- my wallet/cell phone/sunglasses/our passports
- a small blanket

My husband will also take a small bag with some essentials (including another bottle of soymilk if they'll allow it).

The bags I've seen that may work (but I've only seen them online so they may not be big enough) are the Storksak Gigi, Lexie Barnes Darling, Chelsey Henry Weekender, Ultimate Diaper Bag (PBK), Skip Hop Dash and the Oi Oi Hobo. If anyone can recommend one of these or another bag that may fit the bill, I'd really appreciate it. I'd prefer a bag that has good compartments/organization so that I can get at things easily. I need to order it soon, since we're leaving in 2 weeks.
Thanks very much!

Snowbaby 2
08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi,

I recommend the Baby Sherpa or the Short Haul the Baby Sherpa fits the current British Air requirements for one of your bags (56cm x 45cm x 25cm which is 22" x17.5"x9.5") and the other bag you are allowed is 45cm x 35cm x 16cm (17.5 x 13.75"x 6.25").

The Baby Sherpa is 19"x12"x7" and the Short Haul is 17"x10.5x6"
They hold lots and have an integrated soft pack cooler in them. The Sherpa has a Bungee X that is great for carrying jackets and blankets. I tuck board books in by my diaper pad. It also has an insulated bottle pocket and you may want to purchase an extra one for your bottles.

I have flown with mine a lot and it works great. They have a website www.babysherpa.com

hth,

Lynn

audball
08-24-2006, 10:14 AM
We'll be leaving on a trip soon too (although not through the UK,and I know baggage restrictions are tighter there). DH is carrying our Land's End backpack and I'm considering carrying my Ju-Ju-Be Packabe.

Both have lots of pockets and organization, but I will probably be carrying DS's meds (he has lots of allergies) and I like the layout of the Packabe. It zips open wide, to see everything inside, but the bag is tall and narrow - will easily fit under the seat if I lay it flat. I think it could fit all you require, has lots of compartments so you can quickly take things out at security. The new bags have two exterior insulated pockets. The old has one insulated pocket in the interior. I also have a snack capsule, which I think will be great to organize food for the trip. It fits wonderfully in the bottom or top of the Packabe. I plan on putting all those items I need to have examined at security (all his prescription meds!) in one of the front mommy pockets for easy access.

The reason I'm not so hip on using the LE backpack for this is it's built more like a standard backpack. So items in one pocket squeeze the space in another pocket when the bag is full. I found it frustrating digging through the bag - despite the fact it has a lighter-colored interior. It's still a great, comfortable backpack (particularly the straps), and certainly a good deal for the $$.

bubbaray
08-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Here's the link to Heathrow airport's site: http://tinyurl.com/gwd4a

Allowed carryon is: 35cm high, 45cm long, 16cm deep, which converts to 13.8"x17.7"x6.3" That site indicates only ONE carryon, not two as PP said. I'd check with your airline. I've heard one carryon on the news, not two.

Based on the PP's measurements (which I would confirm IRL), the Baby Sherpa is too big, as is the LE Backpack (which is 12"x18"x7.25" per their website). The Short Haul Sherpa would work -- BUT I would confirm with your airline that they are OK with a backpack. The news here said only laptop style bags would be allowed on UK destined flights.

The Dash would work, per their website its 13 inches wide x 11.5 inches high x 4.5 inches deep.

Also, the news here said only 4oz of milk allowed. I have no idea if this is true or not. Here's some info from Heathrow: http://www.heathrowairport.com/assets/B2CPortal/Static%20Files/hand_baggage_21Aug.pdf

Good luck!

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png

MNmomtobe
08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
I have the PBK Ultimate and it does hold a lot but it isn't huge. I am able to fit two 8 oz. Dr. Brown's bottles (the tall skinny ones) in each of the bottle holders though I myself would never need to carry 4 bottles. It comes with an insulated bottle holder.

I would try to find the biggest diaper bag that you are allowed. How about the Silver Line Metro diaper bag? It is available at Bunnyburybaby online. I don't know much about the bag but it seems to have good organization, has lots of extras like a pacifier container and bottle cooler. The dimensions per the web site is 17 x 10 x 6.5 so maybe this would work though I'm not sure if they would allow the 6.5? Also it would be a bag that dads wouldn't mind carrying.

adelaide
08-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the Heathrow links. Yes, you are allowed just one bag and the Baby Sherpa is too big. There is no limit on how much baby milk you can carry (I'm not sure where you heard there was a 4 oz limit, but I've confirmed with the airline that it's not true). You just have to drink from each bottle in front of security.

I'm still trying to decide on a bag! I'll check out the Silver Line bag you mentioned.

julieakc
08-26-2006, 12:30 AM
You might want to consider a Posh Ultimate Diaper Bag too:

http://www.poshbaby.com/posh_bags.html

The measurements are 14 x 12 x 6

This is the bag I used as a carry-on for our travels earlier this year....it holds a lot, is well organized, the bag itself is pretty lightweight, and it can be carried messenger or backpack.

It will definitely hold everything on your list, the only thing it doesn't have is an insulated bottle holder.

Right now you can get one of the older fabrics for a great deal - $105 as opposed to $175 (click on the color place to see the optionsl discounted ones have a -70 next to the fabric name); you'll just want to confirm that they can get it to you in time for your trip.

Good luck.

glamourgirlpink
08-26-2006, 06:00 AM
The OiOi hobo is a great bag and fits quite a bit. I own one (and have just ordered another color!) and am a heavy packer and it works well for me..I've heard a lot of good things about the OiOi carryall as well. Its one of their largest and most accomodating bags and can be worn messenger style or tote style. After trying a few different brands, I'm hooked on OiOi! They are so stylish, have good organization, and are durable and easy to care for. www.diaperbags.com is having a really good sale on some of their hobos and carryall's if you're interested in one.
The Fleurville Mothership can also accomodate quite a bit...
Hope this helps and that you have a fun, safe trip! :)

samantha546
08-27-2006, 11:55 AM
I have an OiOi Carryall and I would rather prefer my new Lexie Barnes Superstar. That things carries A LOT. But my beef with it is that when it's packed to the gills, I can't use the carry handle that is on top of the flap. It just opens the bag up and spills everything out. I'm trying to figure out a way to "close" it.. maybe take it somewhere to have a hook sewed on. The messenger strap is easy to use though.

I'm still wanting the Darling for my every other day adventures but the Superstar is a big sucker and great for all day outings.

walkabout
08-27-2006, 04:46 PM
I have a similar question. I'm travelling to Asia in a month with a 21/2 year old and a 5 month old. I had thought about the LE backpack but seeing your post am re-thinking it now. Same thing about the OiOi carry-all - that its difficult with 2 main compartments? I had thought it might be nicer to seperate DS1 and DS2's stuff. But lacking that, I would go in for lots of organisation and pockets.
I would really prefer something stylish and girly as I probably won't be using such a big bag for trips other than of this sort, so it would be nice if it could double as a weekend bag for me. Also if it is pretty I'd be more likely to use it around town as well. Any suggestions?
This is what I'll be carrying: 2 sets of clothes, some board books, small snacks, sippy cup and a bottle for DS1. 4 or 5 sets of clothes, a small blanket and small toys for DS2. I BF but he would have just started solids so a packet of rice cereal for him. Oh and diapers for both of them.
Would all this fit into a Bumble or a Packabe?

adelaide
08-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi,

I'm the original poster, and I ended up buying the Storksak Gigi. I was able to see it in person and I loved the look of the bag and it also fits quite a lot. I can fit my little insulated bag with two sippy cups inside, a couple of changes of clothes, diapers, wipes, a couple of board books, some snacks, and there's a little zippered pocket inside where I can put my wallet and our passports, as well as another pocket with a cell phone pocket and a clip for keys, and a little detachable mirror. It comes with a diaper changing pad that folds up, as well as a removable insulated bottle holder that I'll use to hold an additional bottle of soymilk.

I decided to buy something that looks more like a handbag as opposed to a diaper bag, since I already own a Fleurville Sling Tote that is pink stripes. (The ST does not hold as much as the Storksak, which was my main reason for getting a new bag.) It definitely is not a bag for a husband to use though! (He'll have his own small carryon bag.)

The measurements of the Storksak Gigi are 11 x15 x6. A lot of the other bags were too big by an inch or more with the new airport guidelines, which are 13.8 x 17.7 x 6.3. So this ruled out several of the other bigger diaper bags. I know the UK in particular is being very strict about measurements - maybe other destinations won't mind if the measurements go over a bit - so for me, I had to be careful.

Here's a link to the Storksak I bought if you'd like to see it:
http://www.storksak.com/det_gigi_choc_baby_bag.php

mare_mare
08-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi...I just came back from Disney and flew out through Newark (liberty) and they dumped my son's juice out even though I said I would drink from it. This was TSA, not the airline. Just an FYI.

Mary

>Thanks for the Heathrow links. Yes, you are allowed just one
>bag and the Baby Sherpa is too big. There is no limit on how
>much baby milk you can carry (I'm not sure where you heard
>there was a 4 oz limit, but I've confirmed with the airline
>that it's not true). You just have to drink from each bottle
>in front of security.
>
>I'm still trying to decide on a bag! I'll check out the Silver
>Line bag you mentioned.

adelaide
08-29-2006, 05:52 PM
That's a bummer but the TSA website does state that juice and water are not allowed. They are specifically stating that only baby milk is okay.

Snowbaby 2
09-01-2006, 01:23 AM
You may want to look at the Short Haul Sherpa, it is smaller than the Baby Sherpa. The Short Haul measures 17" x 10.5" x 6"

Good luck in yuor travels,

Lynn