PDA

View Full Version : fav. diaper bag hints and tips

sethsmom
08-21-2006, 05:17 AM
I have a baby shower coming up for a friend. She is super-organized, is into minimal packing, but is also working on a tight budget. I thought I could center my gift around creating an organized, easy to use diaper bag that will not break the bank. Here's what I have thought of:

1. Use incontinence pads instead of disposable diaper changing pads or that huge plastic changer that comes with the diaper bag. They're cheaper and cover better.

2. Pack dipaers, wipes, and changing pad into a separate pouch (or ziplock baggie) so you can take only that to the rr for diaper changes.

3. Pack wipes in a small ziplock baggie instead of purchasing the zip-open wipe packs. They still pack small, but are cheaper.

Please add your favorites!

MNmomtobe
08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Even though your friend is on a tight budget, as a mom- convenience is a factor too. I think it would be harder to get wipes out with one hand (while keeping the other hand on DC) from a ziplock baggie than a travel wipes pack or a plastic wipes container. I bought a pack of wipes a while ago that came with a free plastic travel wipes container that would easily fit into a diaper bag. In addition I have a jj cole changing pad that I got on sale for $12 that holds diapers and wipes which also folds into itself and has a handle for quick diaper changes. The jj cole pad has been invaluable to me as I can just grab that out of my diaper bag instead of getting the changing pad, then getting out a diaper, then getting out the wipes... Has saved a lot of time and makes me feel more organized. Don't want to monkey around with finding stuff when DD is crying her head off waiting to be changed! :)

amiemarie7
08-21-2006, 01:55 PM
i def agree with the pp. you dont have to get the huggies wipes in a softpack over and over, just buy a travel hard case(there is a big size difference between different brands though, pampers is much bigger than huggies) and refill at home. the jj cole also sounds good. myself, i bought (for like $15 shipped) a fleurville changing mat because when i had the bag i loved it. it is the tinyest little thing there is and fits inside my diapees and wipees(btw there are tons of these diaper/wipes holders on ebay for less money instead of a ziploc as it will be much cuter) along with 2 diapers and a wipes case. for restroom changes, thse pads sound like a good idea but you should also have a reusable pad for at peoples homes, in the car, ect as you wouldnt want to waste the money for the disposables in areas you dont need them. i know budgets are hard but i have learned you end up spending more money trying to skimp on things and then keep trying something else then something else, when i should have just bought the better thing in the beginning. its hard because you never what will be more important to her as everyone is different. so get a pamper, huggies, or especially for baby(TRU or BRU brand), or even a fleurville hard travel case for wipes. get something to hold the wipes, diapers, and the disposable pads for public restroom changes to throw right away, but still have a thin reusable pad for at peoples home as you dont want to waste. good luck, and always look for deals. sometimes you get great prices on things. and for diaper bags remember some places offer great deals on seconds.

KBecks
08-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Carry a small tube of purell or other hand sanitizer.

bubbaray
08-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I use individually pre-packaged antibacterial wipes to wipe down cart seats (DD hates the shopping cart cover) and my hands.

I use a Huggies hard travel case filled with Pampers wipes (Huggies wipes give DD diaper rash).

I never use a change pad -- always a disposable change pad or incontinence pad instead. And I always keep diapers, wipes & disposable pad in a separate pouch (like an Eagle Creek one), so I can use it on its own or give to DH to take to change DD :) It also makes it easier to switch between numerous diaper bags.

Always carry teething tablets and infant tylenol.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png