PDA

View Full Version : bike helmets

coachkath
09-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Second try post...
My almost 9 month old daughter just inherited a nice bike trailer, which we intend to use on the rail trail. We avid cyclists and we're wondering though if we need an infant helmet for her for now. Winter is coming and next spring she'll need a bigger helmet but for now I looked on Target and BRU and couldn't find infant helmets. Anyone have any suggestions/experience.
Thanks.
Kelly's 44 year old mom (who said younger mom's had more energy!)

mom_hanna
09-10-2006, 01:10 PM
We have always had dd wear a helmet in the bike trailer (since about 1yr). We got a Bell Boomerang, as it was the only one that fit her small head. It comes with foam pads to put inside and make it smaller, which is what we did. Now we have removed some of them to make it bigger (she is almost 2) and it still fits her. I am pretty sure if you do this, you won't have to buy a new one in the spring. HTH!

Jennifer

shburks
09-10-2006, 01:39 PM
We're big Giro (helmet) fans and our ds has a great one with good foam and an easy to adjust knob in the back. We bought it at a bike specialty store, but REI has them, too. Probably your best bet is a large sporting goods store (REI, etc) or a bike shop. Our local Sports Authority has very little, but yours might have more.

Susan

coachkath
09-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. We were on our way to a bike store today when we had to swing by Target. I happened to see a Schwinn helmet for toddlers, but it looked really small so I put it on her and I realized if I add a little extra padding, it will fit now and grow with her. Damn, she looks cute in it. Can't wait to get out there and ride with her!
Mom of a future mountain biker chick

hobokenmom
09-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Please tell me that you wear a helmet too. This is so one of my pet peeves.

I saw a mom and a dad on two separate bikes the other day, with two children (each riding in a baby seat) The kids had on bike helmets and the mom and dad did not. I just cannot possibly fathom why a parent would do that. My first thought was, "Great, so when you get hit by a car, your kids will be fine, but they'll be left with parents with brain damage" I know, not a nice thought, but I live in an urban area with lots of cars. And my own 65 year old mother DID get hit by a car while riding her bike in Florida.

I just don't get it.

Hope the helmet works out for your daughter!

mhanscom
09-14-2006, 08:06 PM
The bell helmets work only if your child has a normal sized head. My DD only could fit a toddler helmet at 2 but my DS has a infant one. Go figure.

doberbrat
09-19-2006, 09:19 AM
yes you need a helmet now. its the law in most states and good common sense. Plus, we want to instill in our dd that she must ALWAYS ride with a helmet so might as well start now.

I *think* that you're supposed to wait till 1yr to ride with them. I haven't seen a helmet for a child <1. I asked DH (who works at a bike shop) and he said they didnt sell any -not sure about Target etc.

pittsburghgirl
09-20-2006, 03:14 PM
I was told by a number of people that infants should be at least 1 before riding in a trailer:

http://www.bicycletrailers.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=safe%20trailering

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png