PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new, smallish diaper bag?

Momof3Labs
09-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I've been waffling about a new diaper bag lately, and it's time to do something about it.

I need something a little bigger than my LE Little Tripper, now that DS2 is on solids and I have to carry a couple of toys. But I don't want to spend more than about $50. I have two Skip Hops and don't like that they don't zip on top, plus they are so tippy. I have an Ella diaper bag that isn't bad (and gets lots of compliments), but the strap is flimsy and feels like it will give out - probably at the least opportune time.

I need a zipper top, and some outside pockets (esp. for a sippy and/or cell phone). I don't like shorter straps - must be long enough to sling over my Venezia handlebar, and to fit over a shoulder with a winter coat.

I'm not at all opposed to buying gently used, and would love something other than black or navy!

The LL Bean large touring bag caught my eye. Maybe the Silver Line Fling (but no zipper on top, right?)?

Any other thoughts or suggestions??

nfowife
09-16-2006, 04:21 PM
How about a Lexie Barnes darling, from the babybags board? Sounds to me like it fits all your requirements. The fling is quite large, larger than a skip hop dash, and has a flap, not a zipper. Another option might be the OiOi hobo, the outside pockets are not huge, but I could squeeze a nuby straw cup (the skinnier insulated ones) in one of them and a cell phone would fit in the other for sure. Again, you'd have to get one on the babybags board to stay under $50.

Momof3Labs
09-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I calculated the volume of each of these, based on the manufacturer's websites, and on that basis the Fling and LE LT are about the same size. The Darling is much smaller. And the Hobo is quite a bit larger. The LL Bean bag is kinda in the middle.

Not what you might expect, huh?

nfowife
09-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I have a LELT and I think the darling is bigger, stuffability-wise. How about the dash vs. the fling? I've had both and preferred the dash, it was sturdier and not as heavy. And they have some new prints, like the uptown stripe and a brown with some design on it that is waterproof. The hobo is larger inside but is floppier (well I think it depends on the print but I had the orange peacock and it was floppy) so if you don't have it stuffed, it isn't really big. I liked it because it looks good worn tote style or messenger style, and really the darling and dash/fling don't like right worn tote style. The LL Bean touring is neat, but it's pretty plain and you said you wanted something not so plain, right?

tina-t
09-16-2006, 07:19 PM
How about the Kecci Beijing? http://www.kecci.com/cgi-bin/tlsstore.cgi

Or the Kecci Florence? http://www.kecci.com/cgi-bin/tlsstore.cgi

daniele_ut
09-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I have had a LE LT and I just bought and resold a Darling. The Darling was HUGE compared to the LT. I could fit as much and more in the Darling as I could in my Skip Hop Dash. I filled it with the contents of my Dash and there was still plently of room. The LT is just not nearly as packable as the Darling. It was too big for my needs (a toddler bag), but I think it might be right for yours. I wanted something smaller than my Dash but a bit larger than the LT, and the Darling was nearly as big as my Dash.

I ended up deciding to try a JuJuBe Be Smart, which may be a bit too big as well, but I really like it. It's out of your price range new, but I paid $60 gently used. I don't have it yet, but I'm hopeful!

Momof3Labs
10-14-2006, 08:31 PM
I got one off of one of the Yahoo groups for $60 shipped, and I love it so far!! It is very stuffable, and I like that it stands on its own and isn't big and boxy. It is also quite lightweight on its own, and the shoulder strap is awesome. I just wish that the outer pockets were better (the bottle holders are great) - the back one needs a magnetic closure or something, and the front ones need to hold a little more, a la Skip Hop, IMO. But all in all, it's doing what I need it to do for now!

caleymama
10-14-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm a little late to this since you've already found one, but I was going to suggest the Vera Bradley Carry-All. It's more than you wanted to spend new but it's lightweight with great pockets inside and out and it's not tippy at all. Of course you'd have to be okay with the patterns/quilted style, but overall I think the bag would be a good match if you were ever looking for something else similar.

brittone2
10-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Not sure if you'll see this but I hope you will.

I have pretty much exclusively used the Little Tripper with DS since he was a few months old. I'm a fairly light packer. With #2 on the way, I'm looking at upgrading to something a bit bigger, but not big. I'll still likely keep the car stocked w/ most of our "extras."

So are you finding the Darling has significantly more room than the LT?

Are you babywearing your Logan at all? Do you think it would work well messenger style w/ a sling?

TIA :) I wasn't sure if this was really bigger than the LT but it seems like it might be big enough to make it worthwhile for me to look at more.

Momof3Labs
10-15-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised at how much more it holds than the LT since the dimensions online seem to imply the reverse. I think that LE cheats on its measurements a little. Now, it isn't a cavernous bag vs. the LT, but I can fit a baggie with DS2's solids supplies and my wallet and have room to spare, whereas the LT would not hold that much.

I do babywear him sometimes, like yesterday, and just carry it on my shoulder. It has an awesome strap that doesn't slip easily so it works this way. The strap adjusts pretty long to make it easy to wear messenger style, if you want. And it will lay pretty flat against your body since it isn't a boxy bag.

HTH a bit!

brittone2
10-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks Lori :) It might go on my bday/Christmas wish list now ;)

I definitely don't need huge but would like something a bit roomier than a LT. I have a short torso so don't need a super long strap to wear messenger style. It sounds like it might work.

DS never liked the stroller and at 2.5 I can rarely get him to ride in it. Not sure what will happen with the baby since he won't always walk either (topic for another day LOL).

Thanks for the review. It was helpful :)