PDA

View Full Version : Bike Trailer vs Seat

doberbrat
09-19-2006, 02:34 PM
What are the pros/cons of each? Whats the best bet?

I used to do a lot of mtb – in recent years, I’ve tooled around the neighborhood w/the dog. I’m not certain I’d be up to pulling a heavy trailer + dd.

Cost is prob not really much of an issue – dh can get many models at cost.

I’m almost thinking of a seat for my bike and a cougar for him/us. We borrowed a cougar when my cocker was dying so we could take him hiking and it was fabulous to have (but HUGE!!!)

pittsburghgirl
09-20-2006, 03:10 PM
We have a trailer. Things I like:
- more stable, if the cyclist were to fall, the child would be more protected
- easy for child to have snacks or whatever while riding
- ours has room for more than one (not that we have 2, but in theory...)
- DH finds it easy to use. I haven't tried using it by myself, but I'm the novice cyclist between us.

Things I don't like - a bit of pain to transport - we can't really ride out from our house, we have to drive to parks/paths.
- DS is behind, so riding after rain isn't a good bet unless we put the plastic cover down, and then it gets hot in there.

We use it a lot when we're all together and I ride behind DH/DS. DH doesn't seem to have an issue with pulling the trailer, but he's a very strong rider.

That said, if DS isn't too big next summer we'll be buying a seat to use on DH's bike. We found that when we were at the beach, the trailer was an impediment to just taking a quick ride over to the Boardwalk for ice cream. (Plus, we ended up having to buy a new rear rack and clamshell for the top of DH's Outback in order to get everything down to the beach b/c the trailer took up so much space. DH is an accomplished enough cyclist that he feels comfortable with the seat. I would not be comfortable, the weight of it would probably throw me off.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

shburks
09-20-2006, 08:18 PM
I could have almost written that same reply, Marilee! I prefer the trailer because if the cyclist falls, the trailer stays upright and ds can still enjoy his cup and snacks--even a book or toy if he gets bored. DH is the more experienced cycler and he pulls ds. We usually ride trails wide enough for us to ride side-by-side or I follow behind.

I can't imagine I would ever feel comfortable with ds in a seat; like Marilee said, the weight of it would probably really throw me off. Plus, I think I'd just be a nervous wreck!!

Susan

hudsonam
09-22-2006, 10:15 AM
We got a Chariot, and we love it. We use it as a jogger and a bike trailer. I like that it has adjustable suspension, and it seems really comfy for DS. It has great reviews. And it can be converted to a regular stroller (different wheels then the jogging wheel), you can put skis on it, and also use it when hiking (straps on to your body). I love it. :)

mattysmom
09-25-2006, 11:05 AM
We have 2 boys and we have both the chariot cougar and a seat. It's great to have the flexiblity to have both boys in the cougar and then if DS2 gets restless, he can sit in the seat on my bike while DH pulls the trailer. I'm not a particularly great biker, but it's been easier than I thought to get used to both pulling the trailer and having DS2 (who is 17 months) on my bike. You can often find the seats on craigslist that are hardly used... (or sell it there so it won't really cost you much $$). These items have such great resale that we decided to get both.

doberbrat
09-25-2006, 11:32 AM
thanks ladies- after reading the replies, I think getting both is the way to go.

we wont loose any $$ on it since dh can get them practically at cost.

the trailer will be good for nasty new england weather and carting the dogs around as necessary. the seat for quick trips.

Now I just have to wait till she's 1yo (in 3 w)