PDA

View Full Version : Is my Diaper Bag to Detailed.

robinsonbn
09-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Ok so I just finished putting my diaper bag together. I have a larger bag that now has a changing pad (complete with disposable pads, anitibacterial wipes, ointment, baby wipes, diapers, baggie's for soiled clothes, and tiny trash bags for dirty dipes). Then I have a baby care bag (with a hair brush, comb, tooth cleaner finger thing, antibacterial wipes, alcohol wipes, thermometer, emery boards, extra nail clippers and tweezers, band-aids, neosporen, 2 changes of clothes,2 lap pads, 2 recieving blankets, newborn toys, and a tiny box of infant tylonel.) Next, there is the cooler for bottles, my fast heat travel warmer, a larger zip lock for used bottles, a change purse with some extra cash just in case, room for my personal stuff, and a small extra's bag with 2 extra changing pads, dipes, and of course wipes just in case. Is this to detailed..I know i probally won't need half of this..did I forget ne thing? All of this nicely fitting into a bag the size of a large purse or small over night bag. My theory was easy removal of which bag that is needed for easy finding, while being able to carry everything together in one bag....so your thoughts??

bubbaray
09-27-2006, 09:08 AM
WOW. Are you going on a trip? That is what I would pack for a trip.

For just daily, regular use, IMO you will NOT need: baggies for soiled clothes (use the diaper ones), baby hair brush, tooth cleaner, alcohol wipes, thermometer, emergy boards, nail clippers, tweezers, neosporin, lap pads (receiving blankets work fine), newborn toys (they don't need them for a while), infant tylenol (you won't be using that when they are young except on dr's advice, in which case you likely won't be leaving home, KWIM?).

You won't need all the extra change pads. Take one disposable in your bag, keep a couple more in the car. Generally, I pack VERY light, especially with a newborn. If you really REALLY want to carry all of that stuff, pack a detailed CAR bag and leave it in your car.

As for all the bottle-feeding stuff, I can't comment on that as I've never bottle fed (DD refused them).

Here is what I pack for a newborn, which I can fit in a Lands End Little Tripper: disposable change pad, diapers, wipes, receiving blanket, 1 changes of clothes, my wallet, cell phone, lip balm, travel pack of kleenex, hand lotion. If you formula feed or use pumped milk, you'll need bottles obviously, but I don't think all moms warm formula/milk.

Anything else I might need (more diapers, wipes, another change of clothes, dirty diaper bags, extra disposable change pads) I leave in a bag in the car. I don't take "sick baby" items at all, because if the baby is sick enough as a newborn to need meds, I don't leave home except to go to the dr or ER.

Baby care like nail clipping, etc., I do at home, so no need for it on the road. Antibacterial wipes I use for shopping carts, but after a diaper change (which I do on a disposable change pad in the stroller), I wash my hands or use diaper wipes (I find with all the hand washing and diaper changing with a newborn, antibacterial gel/wipes on my hands is FAR too drying).

HTH
Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

elephantmeg
09-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Here's what I carried at the begining. 3-4 diapers, small wipe container, extra outfit, hat, 1-2 recieving blankets, disposable changing pad, purell, mylicon, (tylenol added at 2 months for shots), passifier/case/holder, socks.

I also leave a bottle in the botom JIC I forget one when I go to tbe babysitters/gym daycare (babysitter keeps diapers/wipes there for him). I carry milk in a seperate cooler that fits into the top.

SnuggleBuggles
09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
See, here's my take...how far are you really going to be from home or your car when you are out with baby? Do you really *need* to haul all that stuff around? Can't you just make it back to home/ car and get some of that stuff? Will it be catastrophic if you don't have things like an emery board, 1 of the 3 things of alcohol wipes, multiple recieving blankets...? Probably not. :)

As a breastfeeding mom I travelled very light for normal outtings. Heck, to go somewhere like Target I just brought in keys and a wallet. For the mall I brought in the above and then a changing pad by the First Years that folded up, held 2 diapers, a few wipes and a bag to toss stuff out in. I figured if we had a blow out then I would head back to the car for further clean up.

If we really were going to be inside somewhere, away from car or home, for more than an hour I would pack some more stuff. Like one extra of things (1 extra outfit, one extra blanket...). Food was always ready.

I did want to add one thing that you forgot. Well, 2. Cloth diaper (or similair) in case of spit up AND a change of shirts for you! I had it all planned to go out with the other moms after a postpartum exercise class and right at the end ds spit up all over me. I had everything for him but nothing for me.

I needed a bit more for outtings when he go older but nothing a Little Tripper couldn't handle. And you know what? With the exception of that shirt for me I never felt like I wish I had packed something more. I always had just what I needed even when I travelled light.

You'll find the right balance for yourself when the time comes.

Remember, especially as your baby gets a bit older you don't want to overuse the antibacterial stuff. They need to get exposed to germs to build up their immune system. Plus overuse of that stuff creates germs that are stronger and more resistant. Use only as needed. :)

GL! I know I had fun setting up my big diaper bag before ds came. I guess I am just a "small purse" kinda gal; the less I have to carry the better.

Beth

charmcitymama
09-27-2006, 10:23 PM
you are more organized/prepared then I could dream of being!

robinsonbn
09-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Lol thanx guys I figured it was to detailed. I sat there and thought about all the possible what if's, like even the emery boards if suddenly he has a rough nail. I will cut it down it did seem like alot. I broke it down for DH and he just looked at me in disbelief :)

nfowife
09-28-2006, 10:57 AM
I think once your baby is here, you will get a better idea of what you really need and feel comfortable having on hand. I'm a light packer and all I ever really need is 2 diapers and a wipes pack, sippy, bag of snacks, and my wallet. I have a friend who is a heavy packer and has everything but the kitchen sink in her bag every time she goes out! But that's what makes her feel comfortable. So I'd say wait and see when your little one arrives! A lot of people leave extra stuff in the car, like changes of clothes, extra diapers and wipes, etc.

parker10302
10-13-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm an overpacker, and so far I have never regretted it!! You can never have too many burp clothes, bibs and changes of clothes for baby...at least for my girls! Both my DD's were major spitter-uppers, so I could carry 3 burp clothes, 3 bibs, and a change of clothes and go through all of them in a two-hour trip to the mall. That said, I do agree that you'll probably stream-line your packing routine as you figure out what you really need for your little one!
Congratulations and good luck!

:)
Nicole

mommy to
Grace 10/02
Emelia 4/05