PDA

View Full Version : Coach cleaning question (non-leather)

kellyotn
10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi all,

I'm sooooo not a regular on this board. That would be very dangerous for my checking account! :) In my pre-mom days I liked purses a bit too much!

But, I have a question I hope you can help me with before I throw this crazy bag out the window! I have a black Coach bag that I use for a purse and to toss diapers in occasionally when I don't wanna lug a diaper bag.

Its the somewhat shiny material overall, with leather accents. Its like its maybe coated canvas or something? Its not vinyl, its a fabric of some sort. Anyways, its got a greyish stain on it. I have no idea what it is. I've tried cleaning with plain water, scrubbing it to death. It looks ok when its wet (probably because its black), but reappears when its dry. I'm almost wondering if its glue or something from inside? Its pretty tenacious.

Any cleaning tips for this type of material? I try to ignore it, but it drives me batty and I'm about to throw the darn thing away!

TIA

SammyeGail
10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I love Coach purses too : ). I was sad and happy at the same time when the outlet near us closed, lol!

About how old is your purse? I'm trying to figure out what material it may be made of.

I have a litte Coach booklet from my last purchase, and it doesn't say anything about cleaning any other fabrics except leather. It suggested to call them for more cleaning info.

Otherwise, I would try maybe some Woolite, or (and this may sound funny) maybe a Magic Eraser. Those things have cleaned alot of things I had loads of trouble with, but I would try the Woolite first.

And don't throw your Coach out the window, please!!!

Samantha

kellyotn
10-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks for replying!

Its like this tote, but all black. It was from the Hamptons line, I believe. I had it for awhile, but never used it as it was too big to carry with a diaper bag. Now, I carry it instead of a diaper bag.
http://tinyurl.com/ehjhs

One ad says twill, the other says nylon? Its definitely coated with something as it doens't have a "cloth" feel to it, ya know. I do remember reading somewhere on Coach's website that it should be spill-resistant. sigh.

I actually tried a Magic Eraser! Too funny. I love those things. :) I might try again with more care and time. I just gave it a quick swipe hoping for the "magic" I've had elsewhere with them.

I might also buy a toothbrush and see if that helps. Its just so annoying! :) Part of the problem is that when its wet, it looks great, so I stop messing with it. Then it dries....

Twin Mom
10-05-2006, 09:42 PM
You may want to bring it into a Coach store and ask them. They should be able to tell you how to clean it.

kellyotn
10-06-2006, 10:04 AM
That's a great idea! Thanks!

ugachick12
10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
I have a coach bag just like yours and a waitress spilled bbq sauce on my bag during dinner one night. I took the bag to the coach store and they said to use Ivory dish soap. I used it and the bag looks brand new.

Good luck -Paige

kellyotn
10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
That's a great idea! I have Ivory dishsoap that I bought for something else. It was touted because its "low suds". Didn't think to use it for this, but makes sense.

Did you just use a damp washcloth?

Thanks!