PDA

View Full Version : FTM needs help with Diaper Bag Choices

val01
10-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am a first time mom to be. Our baby girl will be here in February, and I am trying to get an idea of what I want in a diaper bag.

Here are my questions:

1) What are your essentials for a well-stocked newborn diaper bag?

2) How many do I need? I work full time and the baby will be in daycare at 3 months old. I figure a good bag for me, a backpack style for DH, and a larger bag for daycare. Am I missing anything?

I know the Skip Hops gets good reviews, any backpack styles?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Valerie

kathsmom
10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Valerie,

Congratulations on expecting your little one!

The essentials for a well-stocked diaper bag vary with each individual. Some people like to have everything with them, while others keep basic everyday stuff in the bag and keep extras in the car. I think the basics would include: diapers, wipes, disposable bags (for dirty diapers), disposable pads, burp cloths/bibs, extra change of clothes, mylicon drops, bottles (if not breastfeeding), pacifiers (if you want to use them), and a receiving blanket. You might find that you need more or less depending on your packing style and how long you'll be out.

I never worried about getting a diaper bag for DH. He just used whatever we had around. I worked for about 1 1/2 years after DD was born, and I had a Graco type large diaper bag that I took to daycare. I would keep several outfits, burp cloths, bibs, and empty bottles and sippy cups in it. I would bring her premade bottles in it and put them in the fridge in the daycare nursery.

I have an Activpak backpack from Baby Trend that I used when my DS was a baby. It was great to hold all of the stuff we needed for him. I found it at Babies R Us. I don't know if they still have it anymore or not. When he got a little older, I got a medium sized handmade diaper tote bag off of ebay and used it for 2 years. Now that he's 4 y.o. and potty training, I have a Petunia Pickle Bottom Toddler Tote, which is just perfect for most of our errands and activities.

Now, I did have a lot of diaper bags come through our house (drove DH crazy! ), but I returned them or sold them and just used the 3 mentioned above. Good luck and I hope you find something you like!

Snowbaby 2
10-11-2006, 09:33 PM
For a backpack style and one that is great for Daycare try Baby Sherpa -www.babysherpa.com

Lot's of room, a built in cooler and DH won't mind carrying the gear. They are wonderful for traveling too.

Lynn

bubbaray
10-11-2006, 10:41 PM
For your DH, I highly recommend a Lands End triple compartment backpack. It is soooo comfortable and fits both me and my DH very well.

For daycare, I think a LE Do-It-All is a great choice. It doubles as a wonderful travel or car diaper bag. We use a Hanna Anderson diaper bag for daycare, but I leave it there -- I don't bring it back and forth every day. It is not sold any longer, but is similar to the LE DIA. I use the LE DIA for travel.

For yourself, well the sky's the limit. I have 3 Skip Hops and love them. I would start with a Skip Hop Dash for yourself and go from there. Diaper bags are VERY addictive!

I agree with the PP that what you put in your diaper bag varies from person to person. I'm a light packer and EBFd DD, so I actually was fine with a LE Little Tripper when DD was a newborn. If you FF (or cloth diaper), you need to take more stuff with you.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

val01
10-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Thank you everyone. I think that my local Nordstrom carries the SH Dash, so I am going to look at that this weekend. I am going to look at the recommendations you guys made!

I have decided that there is WAY too much to know to have a baby! :)

Valerie