PDA

View Full Version : Help, ISO of perfect bag and overwhelmed by the choices!

ciaobella
10-21-2006, 11:16 PM
I am expecting DS #2 in February and have decided that I want to get a new diaper bag as the one I used with DS #1 was never very comfortable.

I am looking for something in a messenger bag or backpack style, preferably available in a fabric that my DH wouldn't mind toting, if necessary. Something that is not too big and not too small ...

DS #1 will be 2.5 when DS #2 is born, so I will need room in this bag for all of the necessary baby supplies, plus toddler snacks, change of clothes, etc.

I am open to all recommendations ... even bags that aren't necessarily meant to be "diaper bags".

Please share your favorite finds here!!!

tmrbwilson1998
10-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Hmmm...I used the LE Triple-Compartment Backpack when DD came along (my DS was 2.5 like yours will be), which was a great bag and super comfy; however, after years of using plain LE bags, I wanted something girly for me to carry, so I will try to think of some bags that you and your DH can carry:

-Timbuk2 bags - lots of Mommies here use their messengers
-Oi Oi messenger bag - they have some basic black (with colored interiors)
-JuJuBe Be All messenger in black (I think green lining?)or brown (pink lining)
-JuJuBe Packabe backpack in black (I think green lining?) or brown
-Combi Urban Sling messenger/sling-style bags (I have seen a nice green, black,and others as well) - the black is for sale (I think EUC) on the Yahoo babybags group
-Tumi bags
- Fleurville has the Sling Tote with the messenger option (has a tulip shape, so not a true messenger-style bag with a flap and all); you may be able to get one in black ballistic or black cord or green ballistic
-Timi and Leslie - they have a Large Bebe, some of which are Curious George on a solid color - super cute!
-Lexie Barnes Superstar or Darling - last year she had a black Darling I know...you could join the Yahoo Babybags group and maybe put an ISO post to find one
-Skip*Hop - these seem very well-loved! They have several bags, I think they all also attach to a stroller.
-Loom bags, like the Marsupial; I do not have any experience with these, but they seem well-loved!
-One Step Ahead has a backpack I have heard about
-Baby Sherpa backpack - I think they have 2 sizes and have heard good things about them
-Overland Equipment bags
-Sherpani bags
-Silverline Fling messenger

Okay, so there are the ones I can think of - sorry so long a list! Are there any colors, features, etc. that are specifically looking for? How heavy or light a packer do you tend to be? Do you like having extra room in the bag and a bit larger-sized bag, or would you rather have a smaller bag that is stuffed well?

Oh, here is the Yahoo site, in case you have not heard of it:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/

Hope I did not totally overwhelm you! :)
Tina

ciaobella
10-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Wow - thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the suggestions!!

I looked up every single suggestion! As far as colors go, my DH has his own diaper bag that we keep in his car, but if we are out in mine and he end up carrying it, I don't want it to be too girly - plus I have boys! I wouldn't mind a second, smaller purse / diaper bag that is just for mommy that has a nice feminine flair! Something like the Flap Body Bag by Tumi or the Grab and Go available at One Step Ahead or something similar-- there are just so many to choose from! If I get one of these I want something *Very* pretty! I am totally open for suggestions!

Here are the questions I have about the non-diaper bag gear that BBB moms are using as diaper bags -- which bag do you like from the following companies? (It is hard to tell how they are organized from the websites):

Sherpani
Ovderland
Tumi

Also, how is the organization inside the backpack style diaper bags? I love my LL Bean back pack, but everything would get lost in it. In fact, my DS has a toddler size backpack that I use as his diaper bag / daycare bag, but it does not stay very organized. So, how easy is it to keep these bags organized?:

Baby Sherpa
Lands End Triple Compartment bag
One Step Ahead backpacks

Off the cuff, at first glance I really like the sytle and size of the Combi Urban Sling. Anyone have any real life experience to share about this bag? Any other similar bags out there?

I also like the Jujube packable, but there are not pictures on the site of the inside of the pack. Anyone care to share their experiences with this bag or the Fleurville DJ bag?

Finally, the Skip*Hop Duo and Dash both look great - what is your favorite Skip*Hop bag? The website on this site was great!!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I have submitted my request to join the Yahoo Group too! :)

Would love to hear more suggestions and personal experiences.

tmrbwilson1998
10-23-2006, 08:47 AM
I have the Packabe...love it, except for the straps. I was spoiled by the LE Triple Compartment bp's comfy straps and the Timi & Leslie bp's comfy straps, too. However, I will say that I love how I can grab the Packabe as a messenger/shoulder, then also have it in bp mode. I also love how much this thing can hold without looking huge! I personally like the organization of it, and the exterior cottle pockets are pretty nice, too. There is one main compartment with some smaller interior side pockets. I have learned from the Moms here and on Babybags to pack in cosmetic bags if you need more organization in a bag, so the main compartment does not bother me. There is a back exterior slip pocket with the changing pad, and in the front there are 2 exterior smaller mommy pockets with organization in them.

Overland - I just did a search on this board and found that people have liked the Trinidad (I think the bp) and the Prosport. I think the Donner is on the smaller side. The Skyscraper and Noho were also mentioned. Here are some pics a Mommy had posted of her Noho: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=30115&mesg_id=30115&listing_type=search

I see a Mom at church who has a Combi US and it looks like a great bag - she has an infant and a little guy who looks to be almost 3-ish. It looks like it molds to her body and I love the green!

About the LE bp, here is a link to some talk about it - if you scroll down to my post, there is a link to some pics I had posted of it last year. It was great for us, especially since I needed a bp at the time and with all our traveling at that time, DH or I could carry it, no problem! It also is durable (used it on our flights between Europe and the States), has a GREAT changing pad (and large), and can always be a normal bp when the babes are out of diapers.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=26133&mode=full

If DH is okay carrying a cute boyish pattern, Timi and Leslie bp and I think messenger (large Bebe) had some cute boy prints, like Mr. Roboto, and they still have the football and probably basketball large Bebe messengers out.

The Sherpanis I have heard mentioned are: Lena, Capri, and the Flora. The Lena looks very cute! You can do a search on the babybags group - there has been a lot of talk about them in the not-so-distant past!

As far as fun girlie bags, what size/style do you like? Do you like messenger, tote, bp...horizontal layout or do you like something longer than it is wide? Are you a bright color gal, or more subdued; patterns or solids? Hee hee - I feel like a doctor taking a medical history on you! Sorry everything is so rushed - trying to hurry before DD gets up from her nap!

:)
Tina

ciaobella
10-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks again for your wonderful response! The more I look, the more I like the Packabe, the Combi and the Skip*Hop for the actual diaper bag.

As far as the "girly" mommy bag goes (that can also hold minimal amounts of baby supplies), I am looking for something that would not be impossible to carry while toting a toddler on my hip. I am not very adventurous when it comes to bright colors, etc. because I like to be able to wear a bag with everything - but I would also like something fashionable. I typically go for black or brown - patterns are ok too. Those are really my only criteria. When I get a chance I am going to have to take a better look at what is available on the Yahoo board.

Thanks again!

Anyone else care to share their diaper bag loves?

MamaKath
10-30-2006, 10:12 PM
I found that backpacks and messengers became my mainstays when I had a toddler and a newborn.

*Baby Sherpa (Probably the smaller Shorthaul would do)
*JJ Cole Essentials Sling Tote (quick trips)
*Ameribags (they do make a baby bag)
*Timbuk2 messengers
*Skip*Hop Duo and Expo
*LL Bean Touring tote (not stylish but well thought features); they also have a ton of Ameribags, and a great messenger bag in various sizes now
*DiaperDude

Can't think of others, but you already got a great list from the pp. Happy searching! :-)

MamaKath
10-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Just a couple additional thoughts... You can search places like www.sierratradingpost.com for messenger bags and also try stores like Gap and Old Navy to see what they have for the season instore. I got a great T2 knock-off at Old Navy for a fraction of the price of a T2.