PDA

View Full Version : Help, good bag to also use for work & travel? Chelsey Henry maybe?

curlychik
10-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi all -

I've been avidly reading & searching this board for a couple of weeks. My birthday is coming up and I'd like to get a couple of new bags. For everyday, strictly diaper bag use, I think I'm pretty set on a LE LT - great price, like the style, size, etc.

But I also really want a stylish larger bag that I can also use for work and for the 2 upcoming cross-country flights we'll be taking for the holidays (first time on a plane with the baby *yikes*).

My workplace is very conservative & I split my time between two separate (cross-town) locations, so I end up lugging my laptop & files around a lot. I'd like a bag I can use for this, for diaper bag things if I have to take DS somewhere right after work, and for those upcoming plane rides. And I don't want to spend a ton either (maybe $150 max). DS is 8 mo old, on formula & baby food.

I've been looking at the Chelsey Henry Savvy bag - I can get it on sale -

http://www.amazon.com/Chelsey-Henry-Savvy-Bag-Stitched/dp/B000J1C2O2/sr=8-4/qid=1162332197/ref=sr_1_4/102-3920980-7065720?ie=UTF8&s=apparel

Any opinions on this bag? Any alternative suggestions? I'd really appreciate the input.

Thanks!

Paula

bubbaray
11-01-2006, 02:26 PM
My workplace is pretty conservative too. I generally don't use a diaper bag at all at work. Either just a purse (think classic Coach type styles) or purse and briefcase.

I would probably leave a diaper bag in my car for the post-work baby appointments. Obviously, that d/n work if you use subway, etc..

As for plane trips, my all time favorite is the LE DIA diaper bag. It opens wide and holds a lot -- and fits easily under the seat in front of DD. Airplane travel and long car trips are the only time I use it. My second choice for air travel (especially if I were travelling alone with DD and needed to be hands free) is the LE backpack diaper bag. Its GREAT!

Having said all that -- I love that particular CH bag you posted! Could you post where you can get it on sale????

TIA
Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

curlychik
11-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi - thanks for the response!

Right now, I'm using a purse & a laptop bag/briefcase for work as well and honestly, I'm tired of having to carry both. The laptop bag came with the computer and is very rigid. I can only fit the computer, my portfolio, a few files in it. I sometimes struggle to get the powercord in there, so adding my small wallet & makeup case is impossible. And I'm keeping the diaper bag in the car as well. I guess I was trying to find a way to streamline and avoid having to deal with all three bags. ...and justify the expense! =)

But anyway, here's the link to the discounted bag. It's also through Amazon but supplied by Chelsey Henry directly. It's on sale for $132 but there is an additional 20% off that shows up during checkout and free shipping, so it comes to $105 shipped. I've verified this pricing as I took the plunge & ordered last night!

I liked the stitched bag best - http://www.amazon.com/Stitched-Walnut-Nylon-Polished-Leather/dp/B000GQQNU4/sr=1-13/qid=1162424806/ref=sr_1_13/002-3903503-0016839?ie=UTF8&s=apparel

But there's a two toned red/black version that I also liked a lot. Here's a link to all the bags with the discount - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1/002-3903503-0016839?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A1036592%2Cp%5F4%3AChelsey%20Henry%2Cp%5F6%3 AA3IER3ULQ9OD99&page=1

HTH!

Paula

bradysmom
11-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Paula,

I have the two toned red/black version of this bag. I just got it last month and I love it -- it is very well made and very stylish looking. I really haven't had a chance to use it too much yet, but it definitely is good for work/travel/baby bag. I also have a laptop for work that I sometimes have to travel with, and this bag definitely would be big enough for that plus all the other stuff that usually needs to go along with it (power cord, files, etc.), as well as all my personal things too.

CH also sells accessories for these bags, including a padded laptop sleeve and a changing pad, that coordinate with the bags. I don't have either of these, because I already have enough changing pads and I also have a padded laptop sleeve from another bag I have. You can see them on her website (www.chelseyhenry.com).

I got this bag primarily to use as a diaper bag for now, because it is a little more stylish and doesn't look quite so much like a diaper bag. I do also plan on using it when I travel and also for work.

Hope that helps.

Sara
Mom to Brady 10/05

curlychik
11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Sara - I can't thank you enough for your post! I'm very excited to hear that the bag is well made and likely to fit my needs. I can't wait to get it now.

Does the bag have any bottle pockets? I know the work-to-play one does, but I wasn't sure of this one.

Thanks again for sharing your review.

Paula

bradysmom
11-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Paula,

There are any "bottle pockets" in the traditional diaper bag sense, but there are pockets that you could use to put a bottle in. None of the pockets are insulated, but I've used a soda can cozy (one of those foam can cooler things) around a bottle to keep them cool. They fit perfectly on an Avent bottle (not sure what type of bottles you use).

Hope that helps!

Sara
Mom to Brady 10/05