PDA

View Full Version : picking new bag for 2 kiddo's.skip hop or le .Please Help

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Started looking for a new bag and looked at skip hop dash-WOW!!I really liked what I saw. i;m just wondering if a dash would have the room i would need for 2 kids and if it's washable. i know the le has the white liner inside and i'm wondering if the dash has something comparable. i'm using a cheepo that i bought at pennys right now and i don't like it because of the black hole. please respond tia
jen

turtlejd
11-04-2006, 03:09 AM
I don't have 2 kids, but I think the Dash would have enough room. The inside of the dash isn't a light color like the Land's End bags. I think most of them are brown, grey or black inside. The denim dash though is red inside if that would help. I also believe it's washable, though I haven't tried it myself. HTH!

Jenn98
11-04-2006, 07:19 AM
I have a skip hop duo and while I like the looks of it I have never really liked it's functionality all that much. I just bought a LE Little Tripper and the Do It All since I am expecting #2 soon.

The reason why I don't like my SH is that it has the black hole effect, it cannot stand on it's own and it doesn't zip shut. DD loves to pull things out, no matter what she is pulling out of where, so it's important to me to have a bag I can zip shut. Also, stuff fell out of it all the time when I'd throw it in the back seat or where ever. I have no IRL experience with the Dash, but I assume it's similar to the duo, so that's why I didn't look into it too much.

As far as the LE bags - you cannot beat the price! I first ordered the DIA because I liked how it opened and could stand on it's own and I liked the size of it. It is a great bag, but it is big. I am not an overpacker, but the previous bag I was using (el cheapo from Motherhood Maternity) was so poorly organized that it took up a lot of space so I thought I needed a bigger bag. Well, when I packed the DIA with everything I currently had in the diaper bag I had a ton of extra room. I like smaller bags anyway, so I went ahead and ordered the LT, too. I love this bag so far. It's a great size and holds everything I need for DD. I plan to keep both for various reason. The DIA will be great when I need a bigger bag for more stuff (Like all day trips, or if I need an extra blankie for warmth, etc) and the LT for smaller trips (Like a run to the grocery store or just out and about for errands).

If it were me, I'd go with the LE - but it really depends on what you are looking for in a bag. Oh, and the LE bags are actually a light blue on the inside, not white. I thought the blue owuld bug me (not a fan of light blue) but it looks good and I do like it. HTH!

MamaKath
11-04-2006, 10:55 AM
I really like the organization of both bags you mentioned. The Dash is super organized. Most have dark interiors though. As pp said the Denim has red. I have a DUO and an EXPO (Love the DUO, like the EXPO but definitely not my favorite bag) and have found them to wash well- machine on gentle and hang to dry. The LE will hold all you need but is a bit awkward to carry. I always found that once I had 2 kids a bag that could be worn messenger style or on my back became a mainstay. It made chasing a toddler while holding a baby MUCH easier!!!

Some other bags-

You might look at the LL Bean Travel Touring tote (the larger one). It is not a diaper bag, however is the same design as the diaper bag they previously made. Just gray interior and no changing pad (lots of folks use disposable ones anyway). They have cute colors and it is very "all purpose" like the LE DIA however a bit more purse appearing and easier to manage. There have been some great threads about it on here. It has a bottle mesh on the end that works well for 2 sippies or water bottles,etc. The pockets inside are great! It has a few pockets on the outside that are great for pacies, cell phones, or digital cameras. The front pocket is similar to LE parent pockets on their diaper bags.
Here are a bunch of posts about this bag-
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=19344&mode=full&page=2
(lots of pics of the diaper bag with the interior colors, the large touring is the same design without the funky interior colors) http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=18810&mode=full&page=5
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=18992&mode=full&page=5
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=18614&mode=full&page=6

Ameribag Baby Bag is a really well organized bag that does not have a black hole. They also have purses that are similarly styled. I didn't have bottles to carry though, so if you have bottles it might not work as well. The Baby Bag DEFINTELY will hold all the other stuff for 2!

Timbuk2 (T2) messenger bags are great, and you can organize your own. A more open bag like that is great when you add something like an Escape Pod (many of us have found that inexpensive casmetic cases work fantastically as Escape Pod wanna-bes) to organize the things you need to grab out quickly.

Fanci-free has some great bags that I saw recently. Fantastic organization and very multi-purpose with adjustable straps. I loved the accessory wallet too. Not the Jetson (I think that was the name) though.

So now if I were choosing only 1 I would probably go for the LL Bean. Second choose would be the Dash. :-)

HTH~

nfowife
11-04-2006, 02:37 PM
I tink the SH Dash is an awesome bag- MUCH better than the duo (which I hate). It is well organized, lightweight, roomy and packable but not humongous.

bubbaray
11-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Yes, IMO the Dash will work for 2 children and yes it is washable. The interior on the Denim Dash is red. The interiors on the other colors (IIRC) are black. Having said that, the organization of the bag prevents the black hole effect, IMO. I have 2 Dashes and quite like them compared to my Duo, that d/n get a lot of use.

I have the LE LT, the LE DIA and the LE backpack. All have light blue interiors, not white. They are great bags for what they are, but the LT is too small for 2 kids in diapers, the DIA is HUGE and too heavy for a "carried" bag (I use it for travel and in the car) and the backpack is again, too big except for day outings for me.

Another bag you might want to consider is the Fleurville Sling Tote. It is quite nice, I'm really liking mine.

HTH
Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-04-2006, 10:50 PM
I should clarify,DD is 4 and potty trained.DS is 1 so he doesn't require as much as say a 6 month old would. DS was in my lap wanting to nurse when I wrote the first post. Sorry for not including the details.

bubbaray
11-05-2006, 08:42 AM
In that situation, I would go with either the Dash or the Fleurville ST.

You might even be able to get away with a LE LT. You probably don't need to carry much at all for your DD.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

brittone2
11-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I think I'm going to buy a Lexie Barnes Darling. I'm a fairly light packer though. I used a LE DIA (old style) w/ DS for the first 2 months or so when I packed heavy. Since then it has been almost exclusively the Little Tripper. Oh, and we cloth diapered DS and will CD child #2 as well.

My DS is potty trained, although we take some extra undies and I usually keep extra pants in the car. I don't need much for him.

I tend to pack light and then keep extras in the car. Most of my errands are on the shorter side, and when I can, I often prefer to change DC in the car vs. in a public restroom anyway (just easier for me).