PDA

View Full Version : Can I manage with a SH Dash, or do I need a Double?

kite22
11-22-2006, 10:13 AM
I have DS1 who just turned 2, and I'm expecting DS2 on 12-26-06, so I need to upsize my diaper bag. I've been using a Skip Hop Duo for everyday and a Lands End Do-it-all for weekend trips. I can't imagine surviving without the Skip Hop stroller straps, but the Duo never seems to hold enough even for one kid. I have to carry a a separate cooler/snack bag and put clothes and so forth in the stroller basket. The Do-it-all has plenty of space, but it is a pain to carry when fully loaded and doesn't hang well on the stroller.

We're getting a Phil & Ted's e3 as our double stroller, so now I am not only going to gain a newborn, I'm losing the stroller basket. Help! Is it possible to hang a SH Double from the e3, if you bend it around the handlebars a little?

The SH Double solves all my issues with the Duo: tons of room, contrast lining for no black hole effect, has a zipper so everything doesn't spill when it tips, and looks like it might stand up on its own, at least when packed. I really love it. But I worry that it's just too big, and will be tough to carry while walking with DS1 by the hand and DS2 in a sling.

I am a pretty heavy packer and usually carry, just for DS1:

3 diapers, bunch of wipes in a ziploc, purell, kleenex, rash cream, motrin, toy or two, book or two, sippy cup, snacks/lunch (some items needing a cooler bag, like yogurt or milk), bibsters, extra shirt for DS, sunscreen, iPod, wallet, cell phone, small notebook, pen, keys, lip balm, hairbrush, adult snack, bottle of adult water.

For DS2 I would probably need:

4-5 diapers, mylicon, blanket, binkies, small toy, change of clothes. We're breastfeeding so no bottles most of the time, though DH would need space for cooler, milk bags and bottles when he has the kids.

Can I get along with just a Dash, which I'm sure I would love? Or do I need to break down and get the Double?

Momof3Labs
11-22-2006, 08:53 PM
I can't imagine that you could fit all of that in a Dash. Can you hang a diaper bag from the handles when using the E3 in doubles mode? That may be a limiting factor. How about a backpack diaper bag, like the LE backpack? That would hold everything that you want to carry, and the backpack straps could go on carabiner clips on the handle when needed.

MamaKath
11-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Hmmm, the Dash is not going to hold enough more than your duo would. How about something like the Dash/Duo with a set of Phil and Ted's paniers. They would hold the difference (one could be for things like blankets and outfits, the other for food/cooler). I am a serious overpacker, and found this set up worked well for us. I would be concerned about being top heavy in the E3 with the Double Duo. If you are getting the P&T's SBS stroller than the Double Duo would work well.

kite22
11-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Aha, I hadn't really thought about the saddlebag option. That might be a good compromise, especially for stashing the stuff you mentioned, which isn't used as often. Can you fold the stroller with the pannier bags attached? Although I guess taking them off is really no worse than dealing with a separate snack or clothing bag.

We're getting the regular e3 with toddler seat, not the SBS. Top heavy is not a good thing. I've used a friend's e3, and it is a lot more sensitive to tipping than the P3 I'm used to.

I'm avoiding a backpack-style bag because I have an Ergo carrier and plan to put the baby on my back as soon as he's old enough - which is another reason to choose a smaller main diaper bag. However, I never thought of using carabiners to clip a bag to the stroller handle, which is a great idea.

ssasster
11-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Have you thought about using the Skip Hop Expo? - it has a larger base than the regular Duo.

Momof3Labs
11-25-2006, 12:22 PM
I have an Expo, Duo and Dash and think that none of those will hold everything that the OP totes. In addition, the Expo is hard to dig through since the top is narrow and the base is wide.

kite22
11-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Yes, my friend has an Expo. It does hold more than my Duo, but not that much more, and all the space is way at the bottom where you can't see what's down there.

Thanks for all the input! Since it looks like a Dash alone is not going to cut it, DH and I decided we ought to do some field-testing. Our Phil & Ted's stroller is on its way, and so is one Dash, one Double, and one SH saddlebag. I am also borrowing a P&T pannier bag to play with. We'll see how much they hold and how they all work on the stroller. If I can figure out how, I'll post a few photos of what did and didn't work for us.