PDA

View Full Version : car mirror

neeleymartin
01-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi there.

I see that lots of my friends have registered for mirrors to mount over the car seat in the back so that you can see the baby while you are driving.

Not sure that this is an item that we want or need. convince me either way. i would love to see the baby, but i thought that the less stuff is better in a accident (projectile).

thanks in advance, neeley

julieakc
01-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I have one and I love it and I think DS does too. The one I have fastens around the headrest so IMO it's pretty near impossible for it to become a projectile object in an accident (I would worry about that with some brands/models I've seen). Icouldn't find a link to the one I have (it's a few years old now, so that exact one might not be around anymore). If I find it later I will come back to post.

I am an extended rear-facing mama, so it's really great to be able to look in the review mirror and see DS. He enjoys looking at himself, and I think he does the reverse look and looks at me through the rearview mirror.

ETA:

I found the one I have:

http://www.safefit.com/2004/ontheroad.html

Scroll down - it's second from the bottom

cstack
01-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I have one in my car now for DGSs (need to get another one in case I ever get to have both of them in my car at the same time) and had one for youngest DS. I loved being able to see what he was doing and *how* he was doing with a quick glance. The one I have (don't know if they can still be bought, I had one like it for DS and bought this from a consignment shop) has a stuffed Elmoe above it, is soft and lightweight, and is hooked to the seat back with a diaper pin, so it's not going anywhere any time soon.

Melanie
02-02-2007, 09:51 PM
The CPS technicians who installed DD's RF seat said that it was unsafe to have it on the seat directly in front of the baby, NOT because it could come off (as I'd thought and thus was happy to find a securely-attaching one) but INSTEAD because the car seat is designed to come up against that seat if the crash is strong enough to create a protective coccoon around them. So basically your baby's face would be smashing into that.

They suggested, off the record, to put it on one of the other side seat backs and just angle it to Dd. We did that for a while but it became too much of an annoyance to keep re-adjusting it after someone had sat there.