PDA

View Full Version : Help with diaper bag!

maybaby
03-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi all. I'm due with my first baby in May and am completely overwhelmed with the task of choosing a diaper bag. I've looked around some and like the look of the Caden Lane Liam bag but am not sure if that will work. I've also looked at the PB ultimate and liked that as well.
Here's what I'm looking for in a bag:

1) want one bag that will handle daily outings to park, mall, lunch, etc.
2) want to be able to carry all of my stuff, wallet, keys, glasses case in the bag as well as baby's stuff.
3) want to be able to clean inside of bag easily for all the spills that will no doubt happen.
4) my husband has requested that the bag not be too girlie as he would like to use the same bag when he's alone with baby.
5) will be using Dr. Brown's bottles and I've heard some bags do not accommodate those bottles.

I'm not really putting a price limit on the bag but don't want it to be too out of cintrol.

Any help you all could provide would be fabulous! Thanks so much.

maybaby
03-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi all. I'm due with my first baby in May and am completely overwhelmed with the task of choosing a diaper bag. I've looked around some and like the look of the Caden Lane Liam bag but am not sure if that will work. I've also looked at the PB ultimate and liked that as well.
Here's what I'm looking for in a bag:

1) want one bag that will handle daily outings to park, mall, lunch, etc.
2) want to be able to carry all of my stuff, wallet, keys, glasses case in the bag as well as baby's stuff.
3) want to be able to clean inside of bag easily for all the spills that will no doubt happen.
4) my husband has requested that the bag not be too girlie as he would like to use the same bag when he's alone with baby.
5) will be using Dr. Brown's bottles and I've heard some bags do not accommodate those bottles.

I'm not really putting a price limit on the bag but don't want it to be too out of cintrol.

Any help you all could provide would be fabulous! Thanks so much.

tmrbwilson1998
03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Congrats on the new baby! As for the bag, do you like a backpack, messenger, shoulder-style, tote? Do you tend to be a heavier packer in general, a just-in-case kind of person? I am, and when I had kids, it did not change I still pack too much!

If you like backpack/vertical messenger, the Ju-Ju-Be Packabe is a super bag. All of the JJB bags are machine washable (air dry) and have so many great little perks to them, like the organization. This bag is a backpack and a messenger, so pretty neat. There are some solids that may work for you DH - black and brown with different colored linings. I think they have even made it in a stripe pattern which has a lot of blue in it.

For messenger-style bags, the JJB Be All is super, same colors as the Packabe pretty much, also machine washable, and very organized as well. There is the Lexie Barnes Darling or Superstar (the Darling is a mediumish bag, the SS is very roomy and big) that are very lightweight, wipeable fused laminate exterior and wipeable interior. Nice organization, little less than the Be All, but such a great bag!

There really are a TON of great bags out there. The best advice you could get is to probably wait and use the freebie bag the hospitals usually give out for a month or two to see what it is that you need. Also, be prepared that your space needs may change with various stages (especially if you nurse...I needed very little bag until my babes started eating and needing sippes, then toys, etc.).

Do you prefer sportier styles or sleeker? Do you care about the fabric?

:)

Tina

tmrbwilson1998
03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Congrats on the new baby! As for the bag, do you like a backpack, messenger, shoulder-style, tote? Do you tend to be a heavier packer in general, a just-in-case kind of person? I am, and when I had kids, it did not change I still pack too much!

If you like backpack/vertical messenger, the Ju-Ju-Be Packabe is a super bag. All of the JJB bags are machine washable (air dry) and have so many great little perks to them, like the organization. This bag is a backpack and a messenger, so pretty neat. There are some solids that may work for you DH - black and brown with different colored linings. I think they have even made it in a stripe pattern which has a lot of blue in it.

For messenger-style bags, the JJB Be All is super, same colors as the Packabe pretty much, also machine washable, and very organized as well. There is the Lexie Barnes Darling or Superstar (the Darling is a mediumish bag, the SS is very roomy and big) that are very lightweight, wipeable fused laminate exterior and wipeable interior. Nice organization, little less than the Be All, but such a great bag!

There really are a TON of great bags out there. The best advice you could get is to probably wait and use the freebie bag the hospitals usually give out for a month or two to see what it is that you need. Also, be prepared that your space needs may change with various stages (especially if you nurse...I needed very little bag until my babes started eating and needing sippes, then toys, etc.).

Do you prefer sportier styles or sleeker? Do you care about the fabric?

:)

Tina

DAKnits
03-12-2007, 05:28 PM
The Posh Baby Ultimate bag will meet all of your criteria.... and it can be carried backpack and messenger style. Especially if you plan to bring this bag on the all day outings as well as the day to day errands, you'll want a hands free option. It has TONS of pockets for organization, it will fit everything you need without looking huge, it can be wiped clean, and can accomodate the Dr. Brown's bottles. There are many prints to choose from so you can get a bag that's not too girly. I use mine for everything, and have owned a rediculous number of bags -- this is the only one that I can use for smaller excursions and not feel that it's huge, and yet it can hold everything for a full day out.