PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a chic, roomy, durable, backpack diaperbag?

gatorsmom
03-14-2007, 04:50 PM
I looked at some of the suggestions made on other posts and am really interested in the Posh Baby Ultimate backpack. Does anyone know if it has a magnetic closure or a velcro? Is it durable? anyone seen the mod orange fabric IRL? will I be able to wash the inside out when those dang Avent bottles leak (as they inevitably will)?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

amiemarie7
03-17-2007, 10:16 PM
it has a magnetic snap closure no velcro. i know someone got the pink floral one and wasnt happy as the material had marks on it which were just the way the material was. it was matte like, wipeable material so marks showed up. probaly wouldnt show up in orange though. i would call them about washing it as you def want manufactures info so if anything were to happen, you would be following their instructions. very big bag, but think its completely overpriced at full retail for what you are getting esp compared to other bags in that range like a PPB. is just missing the attention to detail seen in other bags for the price.

gatorsmom
03-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Thank you so much for your reply. I was very seriously considering getting it, mainly based on the wipeable material.

I posted this question on other message boards and have received some suggestions. But, since I will not be able to see any of them IRL, maybe you have seen them and can give me your opinion on them.

JuJuBe Packabe
Timi and Leslie Backpack
Bumble Bags Jessica
Fleurville Suzy Pack
Bumble Bags Madeline
Lexie Barnes Duchess

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

amiemarie7
03-18-2007, 10:16 PM
>I posted this question on other message boards and have
>received some suggestions. But, since I will not be able to
>see any of them IRL, maybe you have seen them and can give me
>your opinion on them.
>
> JuJuBe Packabe
> Timi and Leslie Backpack
> Bumble Bags Jessica
> Fleurville Suzy Pack
> Bumble Bags Madeline
> Lexie Barnes Duchess

i have seen all but one! here are just a few things about each bag
JJB packabe- can hold a ton, great shape and look, has lots of organization, vertical layout, side bottle pockets(insulated i think), can be held 3 positions but removing straps to change is difficult, can attach to stroller(separate hardware needed), material of darker colors esp solids marks easily, silver interior, heavier compared to other brands.
timi and leslie- padded straps super comfy, can hold quite a bit, some think it sits funny on the back, is only a bp, little organization, wipeable plastic exterior, has a pull closure then you velcro down the flap. imo this is a bag better for trips and outings but i personally would use another bag for my daily life.

bumble bags jessica- great bag, can hold quite a bit esp if you dont need to snap flap, material is fabric but i had a dark color and used it for months with no wear, simple pockets to organize, is both bp and messenger, not sure how comfy bp straps are but you can always replace even if just with PPB straps which the newer ones are pretty nice imo. this bag was just redesigned. the only things i didnt like about the older style was the cell pocket was useless, the closure on the flap didnt seem sturdy enough to last and it was a little wide for the back. if you go to their site though, they just came out with new bags where it seems the new features and dimensions have addressed any issues. i loved my jessica and am very interested to see the new ones

bumble bag madeline- i loved this bag as a simple backpack only. it had no real organization but was a great size, great materials, looked nice on the back, attaches to stroller easily. it didnt really have organization but i use small accessory bags to organize. this bag was my perfect backpack except the bottle pockets. they were a dealbreaker as everytime i put it on or turned, whatever was in the pockets flew out. it was my only dislike of the bag. the good news is i just recieved a reply from BB and they said they made the pockets higher to avoid that very issue. i would love to see this in person as it was one of my favs

lexie barnes duchess- have been using this a month and its great and im very picky, will be perfect in the summer. comfy straps, wipeable material and black trim doesnt get dirty, has some exterior pockets and mesh bottle pockets but inside only has these 3 little pockets only able to fit spoons. is super light. great bag esp for trips to the park. isnt a huge bag.

i would go over some of the negative things you read and decide which are definate dealbreakers to narrow your search. like size- the jjb can hold so much, with i think the jessica in second. i think the duchess and madeline(at least the older style) are similar but are definately smaller than the packabe(aside from everything if you wanted poshbaby size i would def stick to the packabe as i cant think of any other bp big enough). or maybe you def need it to attach to a stroller or have exterior bottle pockets, ect. then see what you have left and pick whichever you like the best. good luck and let me know what you get as i always love hearing.

gatorsmom
03-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks so much for that long reply! That was very helpful. I have 2 boys under the age of 4 and so have diapers, extra clothes, my wallet with checkbook, toilettries, and snacks inside. So, i guess, I'm looking for something roomy on the inside. And I have to have bottle pockets on the outside of the bag for 2 playtex sipsters. I'm constantly doing a quick-draw for a sippy cup for someone. Those are my major requirements. Must have sippy cup holders on the outside that things DON"T fall out of, must be roomy on the inside, and must close easily. Not crazy about those annoying magnetic closures that you have to slide around til they click. Oooo, I hate that. Oh, and those sippy cups leak occasionally, so the fabric must be wipable. Inside and out.

As for organization, I like you use accessory bags so I don't really need the inside organization. From what you've said, the JJB packabe and the Bumblebags Madeline(with the revised side pockets) sound like winners. Oh, the Bumblebags Jessica sounds good too. If the Lexie Barnes Duchess has exterier bottle pockets big enough to hold my sipsters, I might interested in that too.

I usually fill my bags so heavy that I can't attach them to the back of my stroller without fear of it tipping over.

You've been so helpful, I hate to ask for more help. Based on the concerns I stated above, which would you choose? Thank you again, for being so helpful because there is no way I'd be able to see these in person so I'll be ordering them off the internet.
Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

DAKnits
03-19-2007, 10:21 AM
I just wanted to say I have Posh Baby Ultimate and have had the Jessica Bumble bag and for a brief time, the Ju Ju Be Packabe. My favorite by far is the Posh Baby --- the Packabe just wasn't big enough for me at the time (with my infant daughter), and it was a heavier bag.

The Posh Baby material is very wipeable and easy to care for, and the bag is so lightweight. The organization cannot be beat!!!! It's very comfy to wear as well. I got mine from the Babybags Board so I didn't pay full price, but now having had it, I would definitely have paid full price if I couldn't get it used b/c it's been a lifesaver. I carry the Posh Baby as my everyday bag with my one toddler when I need to bring a cooler of food with me, which is most days. I'm able to fit everything I need plus I have extra room for those things we pick up along the way.

I just bought a used Ju Ju Packabe for my toddler since I am not carrying around as much as I used to, and for lighter packing days. I couldn't use it if I was going out to eat or for all day outings -and that's for my one daughter. It really depends on how heavy a packer you are, but I pack a lot, so I could never take the Packabe for two kids!

The Jessica has great organization, but the bag was just too floppy for me, and I didn't like that I could never close it. It also didn't have enough room for me to carry a cooler in it, but otherwise was very roomy.

Good luck with your choice!

gatorsmom
03-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Thank you for the good info on the diaper bags. Can anyone tell me what kind of closures they have? I hate those magnetic closures and the website vendors don't always have that info.

Also, crucial to my choice is how dependable are the outside bottle pockets? Will stuff fall out of them when I bend over to lift a child while wearing the backpack?

Thanks again, everyone! If only those darn PPB had more kid-friendly fabric!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

AgathiP04
03-20-2007, 08:31 PM
I have a JJB Packabe and I don't find that things fall out when I bend over. The Packabe being heavy is a common complaint, but I seriously don't think it is heavy at all. I carried it around the mall for 3 hours yesterday, fully packed, and it felt great!

DAKnits
03-21-2007, 08:14 AM
I have never had a problem with my sippy falling out when I bend over to pick up my daughter while wearing the posh baby ultimate in backpack mode.

Both the Packabe and the Posh Baby have magnetic closures on them. The Packabe has two "invisible" magnetic closure pockets on the front of the bag (the magnets are sewn inside the bag, there are no snaps on the bag itself), and then a zipper on the main compartment. The Posh has a flap that closes by snaps that are magnetic, but to be honest, I never bother securing it closed, I just throw the flap over the bag. Unlike the Jessica, when I don't secure the flap closed, nothing falls out.

The Bumble Jessica also has a snap closure that is magnetic just like the Posh Baby.

amiemarie7
03-23-2007, 07:12 AM
hi, its so hard to think what someone else wants, ya know. from what you say, it sounds like you really carry alot. if thats the case, the packabe would be a good fit. the magnets that it has are invisible where they just snap closed themselves when you put the flap down, unlike the annoying ones you mentioned. have you been to the "pink room" on JJBs website? its a whole forum where every element of the bags have been discussed- even the bad. you could go look thru old posts and gets lots of perspectives. the outside cupholders are very good imo, as they are gussetted. you should be able to see what i mean in the pics. the only neg is its heavier but if you already pack so much, it probaly wont matter to you. besides, if they come out with those padded straps they keep talking about, the packabe will probaly be one of the comfiest.
the duchess side mesh pockets are good but if the bag is really packed, are a little harder to get out. i think you may still be concerned about bumblebags material as it isnt quite as worry free as the others. but once again, if you are looking for something a really good size and wipeable, the packabe and posh baby are the only ones i think will fit your size requirement.
dont get me wrong, poshbaby are decent bags but imo, are just not worth the price for what you are getting. for that price, i def see quality in my PPB that im just not seeing in the posh. i think $60 would be my top payment. do you belong to the diaper bag group? let me know if not, but if you already do, the photos section has a bunch of pics. make sure you get a discount anywhere you buy a JJB. let me know if you need anything else and what you decide. at least you know you want something wipeable, or else you really would be in trouble with all the choices:) amie

MNmomtobe
03-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Have you considered the Silver Line Convertible Backpack?
I am interested in this bag as well but have never been able to see it IRL. Seem like it would fit your needs. According to the dimensions, it is a bit bigger than the Packabe. Wipeable fabric.
One thing I don't know about is the size of the side/bottle pockets. I do remember a complaint about the Silver Line Fling was that the bottle pockets on the sides were too slim. Don't know if this is a concern with the SL Convertible though.

Here is a site with good pics: http://www.rosenberryrooms.com/186-convertible-backpack-diaper-bag-in-chocolate.html