PDA

View Full Version : Toddler leash/harness

Maria K
03-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Do you have one? What do you think of it? What brand/type did you get? DS will be 16 months old in July when we go to Disney and I'm thinking this would be a good idea, but wonder if he'll find it hot & uncomfortable and he'll try to take it off.
- Maria

Niki_n_Abby
03-21-2007, 12:41 PM
I think they are invaluable. I had one that was a simple harness(no stuffed animal attached like see on some now) and it was great. There wasn't anything about it that would make my DD hot and she was never uncomfortable in it. She would actually get really excited when she saw it because she knew that it ment she got to walk and have her hands free. That is really the key I think. Toddlers get upset when you have to hold their hands but with the harness their hands are free and they feel more comfortable but are still safe.

Niki

Maria K
03-21-2007, 02:13 PM
So a harness one, you think, is better than one that straps to the child's wrist?
- Maria

Piglet
03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
We bought one for DS2 when we went to San Diego this year and it was invaluable! We got a doggy backpack style one from Target and he loved wearing it. Just prior to our trip he had 2 incidents of dislocating his elbow (nursemaid's elbow) which were caused by us holding his hand and him dropping down in a power struggle. We were SO nervous that the same thing would happen again, but wanted to keep him safe. To answer your question on the wrist style vs. the harness, I would go with the harness. For starters, I think the wrist ones are too easy to take off and in our case, I am not sure that they would prevent the nursemaid's elbow.

MarisaSF
03-22-2007, 09:15 AM
We have the Target doggy one (Goldbug or Eddie Bauer).

But our favorite one was this, the Tot Tether (and it is on SALE!!): http://comfortfirst.com/p-27946-tot-tether-childs-backpack-child-safety-harness-w-leash.aspx?kbid=3225, http://the-baby-boutique.com/tottether.html.

We have the monkey. DD preferred it over the Target one because the animal is on the front. It also has a tiny backpack pouch that DD liked at your kid's age.

Maria K
03-22-2007, 09:25 AM
That tot tether looks totally cute but hot for Florida in July. Are there ones out there that have a little pouch in the back and just straps in the front but are not furry?
I wish I could sew better.
- Maria

Niki_n_Abby
03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Absolutely! For one, something strapped to their wrist is easily removed by them and that defeats the purpose. And they are not as happy because their hand isn't free. Also, when you are in a crowded place or around traffic, you want to be able to stop them quickly if they are say, about to run infront of a car. The harness stops them at the core where the wrist strap doesn't. The harness is definitely the way to go.

This is very similar to the one I have.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=424756&parentCategoryId=85183&categoryId=85215&subCategoryId=86204

Niki